Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Lost Them..... For Now

I don't know how many people find themselves in a similar predicament but what has long been a source of personal frustration for me is the fact that I do not know enough of my family's history and heritage. And by this, I'm not just referring to one side of the family. I'm referring to BOTH my father and mother's respective sides of the family. I find it quite pathetic not because I didn't care enough to find out but it is mainly due to the very limited information available from close relatives.

Let me start with my mother's side of the family. My mother does not know where both my grandfather's parents are buried. My maternal grandfather, an only child, was born in 1897 and died in 1983. Both his parents had passed away by the time he was in his early 20s in 1920.

Being the seventh of eight children and having been born in the latter part of the 1930s, I can understand and even forgive my mother for this lapse. However, the situation becomes quite absurd when one learns that none of her older siblings also know where their grandparents are exactly buried. All I was told years ago was that the poor, almost forgotten couple were buried in a cemetery somewhere in Malolos, Bulacan.

However, when I asked my mom the very same question just this past week, she said that there isn't even a degree of certainty that my maternal greatgrandparents' remains even lie in a Malolos cemetery. All she now knows is that they were buried somewhere in Bulacan. Oh great. Just effing great. Now, all of Bulacan's cemeteries just became search candidates. If I had to start my search at this very moment, I would have to first come up with a master list of all Bulacan cemeteries that have been around for at least a hundred years and are still used today. God knows how many such cemeteries are out there. And worse, there's also the possibility that the cemetery those poor folks were buried in nine decades ago may no longer be a cemetery today. For all I know, on the cemetery's old site could now stand any of the following: a children's playground, a subdivision, a tiangge (flea market) or worse, perhaps a row of uber-trendy restaurants. I certainly hope that that's not the case.

At least I know my greatgrandfather's full name if in case I have to search through some birth and death records. Researching about my greatgrandmother would be more of a challenge. Although I know her first name, neither my mom nor any of her siblings know what her maiden name was. I guess I could attempt to find a marriage license somewhere that has both my greatgrandfather's full name and my greatgrandmother's first name on it.

On my father's side of the family, things are only slightly better. In contrast to my mother's side, both my greatgrandparents' names, their birth and death dates are well documented since they're both buried in the family plot at Manila's North Cemetery. However, even though I was told that my greatgrandfather was part of a rather large brood, I do not have any information as to the names of any of his siblings. Neither does my father nor any his surviving siblings.

I also know next to nothing about my dear greatgrandmother. I do not have any information as to who her parents and her siblings (if any) were, and where exactly in Manila she grew up. At least I know her maiden name and that would be a start. She was quite entrepreneurial according to my father. She was the brains behind a successful family business that operated in both Manila and Makati City back in the 1930s. She passed away from old age when I was four years old.

As for my greatgrandfather's heritage, I have mixed information. Looking at old family photographs from the early 1930s, my greatgrandfather had very strong Chinese features. From the photographs I saw, he possessed a rather fair complexion and Chinese eyes. I was also told that my greatgrandfather's father had worked as a cook somewhere in Binondo during the 19th Century. My father and relatives say that we are of mixed Chinese and Filipino heritage. That's probably right because it's quite common in the Philippines.

But again, nobody knows where my great greatgrandfather lies buried. I don't even know the name of his wife, my great greatgrandmother. No one in the family knows what her name was. I have no real information on any of my greatgrandfather's siblings either. My father has second cousins but I didn't find out who and how many they were until I visited Manila last year. What makes matters worse was that in all the many years I lived and grew in my hometown, I never knew (and my father never bothered to tell his children) that those folks had been living in a neighboring district all that time!

As for the origins of our family name, the answer I got was that the name was/is quite common in Batangas. In particular, our ancestors were supposed to have migrated to Manila from Batangas, Batangas. How nice and yet how generic. But here again, growing up, none of my cousins and I were ever introduced to any Batangueno relative. None of us were even taken to Batangas on a single sentimental trip to see an ancestral home. The only memories I have of Batangas were of family excursions to beach resorts in the summer. But no memories at all of any single trip that was taken for the sole purpose of meeting up with a Batangas-based relative.

Seriously, I have my doubts about our family's Batangueno roots. And the reason I say this is based on our family's collective command of the Tagalog dialect. Whenever we speak to each other, we hardly use deep or profound Tagalog words. Our vocabulary is pretty much limited to common or everyday Tagalog words. The deeper Tagalog words we learned along the way often came from school and from people who married into the family.

If still possible, I also want to find out what our original Chinese name was. This is due to the fact that our Chinese features are so strong that people often mistake quite a number of my cousins and I for Chinese rather than Filipino. When I was in Hongkong earlier this year, a lot of locals came up to me and spoke to me in Chinese. It may be close to impossible at this point but I still hope to set the record straight someday.

Given all this family history mess, I definitely have my work cut out for me. I plan to spend a good deal of time in Manila someday to work on sorting these things out. I hope I will still be healthy enough if and when that time comes. I want to know more about my family's past. I'm not very happy with the very limited information I have right now. I feel bad for my long deceased relatives whose names are almost lost to history. I feel bad that as a family, we haven't done a very good job of remembering the people who came before us.

I believe we owe it to our ancestors to keep memories of them alive. I also believe that we owe it to future generations of our family that they get a sense of where they came from and who they are. I fervently hope that records still exist in some government or municipal office somewhere that would provide me with leads or clues as to who they were, where they lived, and aside from us, who their other descendants are.

I'm still not certain as to what I'll do when the day comes and I finally have all the information I've long sought for in front of me. All I can say right now is I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

42 responses:

Anonymous said...

you might want to muck about Geni. it's a searchable online family tree application (www.geni.com). it's a quick signup and then when you're in you could use the search facility to try and find relatives who may have done some tracing of their own. it's a long shot, but it could be worth a try.

Photo Cache said...

OMG! Talk about travelling on the same wavelengths.

I know nothing about my relatives, roots, aside from my nuclear family. And that is a source of frustration for my niece who is US-born and wants to trace her children's family tree.

We were not close to my aunts and uncles on both sides; my mom was the youngest in 9 or is it 11 (I rest my case*), she can't even name her siblings spouses or their kids. Seriously. That's just at the mother's side. Don't get me started with the father's side.

Needless to say, thru' this post, it has strenghtened my desire to learn about my relatives, but right now it remains a dream.

My niece though is pounding the pavement internet-style and would occassionally email me with names that she found online which maybe related to us.

The good thing is my maiden name/family name is not common so I believe we're all related to each other.

Unknown said...

In China, there is an ancestral house for every clan, especially for overseas Chinese like us where one can trace their family roots as far back as ten generations, I think. I've seen ours when I was there years ago, but that was on my Dad's side of the family. I haven't visited the clan house on my Mom's side yet. Hope I'll be able to do that someday...

Hey bro, good luck on your search, hope you'll be able to trace your family's lineage one day and write about it.

escape said...

very similar situation here. my family name right now is not our original family name. but what's good is we already tracked back our family tree and we found out our real family name.

it was changed because our great grandfather was adopted by a spanish couple which therefore changed our family name.

Blogalag said...

Your entry also made me wonder about my family tree. I remember way back in high school when we were asked to to our own family tree. While doing the project, it dawned on me that I don't know much about my genealogy and family history. Thinking about it now, it makes me feel sad. I'd still like to discover more about my history though. I will, someday.

Good luck on your endeavor. It will be hard work but I know that it'll be worth it.

The Scud said...

napag-isip din ako nyan ah. i don't know anyone from my paternal grandfather's side. heck, i don't even know when and how my parents met. matanong nga sila when i visit them next month.

mitsuru said...

My late Gran' Pa had painstakingly traced our family's genealogy. He even wrote a biographical sketch of his great grandfather that is being handed down to the members of the clan in family gatherings for their educ.

Anyway, you can try the International Genealogical Index in Utah gathered by the Mormon Missionaries all over the world since God- knows when. Unfortunately the list for the Philippines is not yet available online. But they're working on getting the billions of family records that's being kept in the Granite Mountain Records Vault online in the future. So keep you fingers crossed. he-he

Sidney said...

Yes...it is very strange... I don't know many people who are interested in their family tree.

My father did an extensive research and we can trace back our roots till anno 1500. Everything is well documented.
But it helped that every generation kept good care of those family papers.

vernaloo said...

Hmmm I only know my grandparents from both my father and mother side and that is enough for me already. Of course my parents would tell us stories about their lolo's and lola's also but i usually forget about it. I don't know their names and their faces. but for me it's okay. I guess I have my parents to think and have memories of them and me in return is to have memories of my paternal and maternal grandparents.

What pisses me off is not to know my cousins. I have an uncle from my father side who is very distant to us, meaning the whole clan. Until now the younger generations (us) still haven't met our cousins, his sons and daughters. Isn't that crazier?

ALiNe said...

makes me wonder.. ako di ko alam yung mga ninuno ko..hehe!

witsandnuts said...

I realized that I'm lucky enough to have a reasonable trace/glimpse of our family tree in my mother's side. Also, the remains are all in the family plot in Southern Tagalog Region. Now, I'm certain that I have missing links as to my father's side.

Tracing your roots would be interesting and satisfying in the end. In case you'll get started with it, that would be a work-in-progress project that your clan would be forever grateful for you.

Panaderos said...

Bambit,

Thanks for the lead and info about geni.com. I'll check it out one of these days.

Panaderos said...

Photo Cache,

I used to believe that my family name wasn't so common as a Santos, Reyes or Dela Cruz. But while looking at phone directories the last time I was in Manila, I found to my surprise that there are a lot more of us.

My mother's family name likewise has a lot of entries in the phone books. It's going to be a challenge doing my research and I am thinking that it may take me years to complete it.

Panaderos said...

Rudy,

I guess should the time come that I find out what our Chinese family name is then I would be able to determine the Chinese province we came from.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but a majority of Tsinoys came from Fujian Province. Maybe some of my ancestors came from that province too but I won't know that until I see a document that would tell me so.

Panaderos said...

Dong,

I'm very happy for you that you at least have that piece of valuable information. At least you have a verified source. In my case, I have to do a lot of digging.

Anonymous said...

i tried doing that once through ancestry.com but got stuck when i try to recall my maternal grandma's names. this brings me to the fact that i didn't know their names at all!
for now, i think the most you can do is interview relatives about your lineage.

Anonymous said...

you just reminded me of my daughter's assignment - her family tree from both sides of the famly ! I was fortunate enough to see my great-grandma from both my mom and dad side. They lived up to their nineties :)

I do agree with you that the family tree is important and interesting. I have seen my family tree from my mom's side, all the way to 1865 ! It was done because of an inheritance claim filed case court.

It is nice to have bro but don't lose too much sleep on it :) What is more important is the future di ba?

Keith said...

Grandma told me limited info about her brothers, all drunks, and her husband, died when Mama was 12. On my father side, we have dedicated geneology folks, but on Mom's side, histories dissipate before 1908...

Do I owe it to the past? If my life is noteworthy, maybe I weill leave behind some reemnant, some piece of a life to remember....

I started wryting again

Keith said...

Panaderos, I will ask my girlfriend about this...

In the Indonesian culture theey keep no family names...

It makes mer wonder how people track geneaologies inj her countryessewi

atticus said...

ay, masarap na research iyan. sali ako. :)

i don't know much about my relatives, too. all i know is that my paternal grandfather's middle name is benedicto.

Anonymous said...

Hey, we have the same goal! I want to complete my family tree from ten generations back, and have wanted to since I read a book about a man tracing his roots (the famous F. Sionil Jose masterpiece) But, never having met my own father, that's quite a task.

My last name is not so common, but I was lucky enough to find one girl on Facebook who shares the same name, and she turned out to be my first cousin. My dad and her dad are brothers.

She lives in Utah, but last month she went to the Philippines on vacation and we met up. The moment she saw me she said I really looked much like my father (So, thank you, Daddy-o, for the genes!) She and I exchanged information and I was able to learn about many other uncles, aunts, cousins, and half-siblings.

But when it comes to the greatgrandparents, it's getting trickier, too.

As I'm living a very busy life I can't quite focus on my hunt yet. So, I wish you all the best, and I do hope we both find what we're looking for.

I'll also make it a point to keep track of the generation's to come.

Panaderos said...

Dyosa,

Thank you. It will take quite a bit of work and should the time come for me to do this research, I might have to stay in Manila for at least half a year just to make significant progress.

Panaderos said...

TheScud,

Both sides of my family are quite large. I will probably start with my father's side of the family and then work on my mother's side.

As a boy, I didn't really have much interest finding out how my parents met. But thanks to a very curious (read: "chismosa") younger sister, she was able to extract such information out of my parents. Hehehe

Panaderos said...

Mitsuru,

Kudos to your late grandfather for the foresight and patience to do such painstaking research. It has clearly benefitted your family. So based on what you wrote, you now can go back at least six generations of your family. That's what I hope to do too for my family someday.

Panaderos said...

Sidney,

Wow. Being able to trace one's lineage back to the 1500s is truly very impressive.

Unfortunately, in the Philippines and especially during the Spanish period, civil records were maintained in Catholic parish and diocesan archives. It wasn't until the establishment of the "Central Estadistica" (Central Office of Statistics) in 1889 by the Spanish colonial government did they require these churches to regularly submit detailed lists of births, marriages, and deaths from each parish and diocese.

The task ahead of me is going to be tough because I have scant information on generations that came before my grandparents'.

Panaderos said...

Vernaloo,

Wow, I must admit that not to know one's cousins is indeed quite on the extreme side. I hope you find the time and opportunity to know them more.

Panaderos said...

Aline,

Ang dami pala nating wala gaanong alam sa mga ninuno natin. Hahaha

Panaderos said...

WitsandNuts,

Reading the names on the tombstones on our family plot introduced me to relatives I never got to meet. That certainly piqued my interest. I just hope that by doing my research, I would be able to start something that another relative (hopefully) will get to continue once I'm either no longer that healthy to continue or when I pass on.

Panaderos said...

Mari,

I'll do try to interview some of my relatives again, especially the ones I recently "discovered". I will also try to sit down my father's first cousins and see if they could provide more information about our ancestors.

Panaderos said...

BW,

I hope my memory serves me right when I say that my greatgrandfather was born around 1880. I want to go further back or if that's not possible, to at least determine if he had any siblings. I hope to see who their descendants are and hopefully, get to meet some of them.

atto aryo said...

i also wish i could have my family tree properly plotted out. how i wish i could have the time and the right sources to extend at least three generations back.

pamatayhomesick said...

ay! oo nga pards,ako rin di ko pa alam kung saan na ang mga realatives ko.matanong nga ang aking mga magulang...parang masarap masimulan ito...

BlogusVox said...

Oy, that's the same thing I intend to do when I retire because my knowledge of our family tree stops at my grandfather's (both paternal and maternal) doorstep.

Although I have spanish blood in my mother's side, our family name was just borrowed from the conquestadores when they forced Filipinos to use Spanish family names.

It came from the Basque region, literaly traslated as "extinguish quickly". But I suspect there is a more sinister meaning to it.

Unknown said...

Yep, just about every Tsinoys here can trace their roots from the Fujian province in China, that's why Hokkien is widely spoken here as opposed to Cantonese, unlike in some parts of SE Asia where there are large Chinese communities...

Panaderos said...

Keith,

As a kid, I was very close to my cousins on my father's side because I spent a lot of my weekends with them. As a brain and writing exercise at home, I would often write the names of all of my cousins by order of birth. It's still something that I know to this day. Hehehe

I think somewhere along the way, our family simply got too focused on living their own lives that my grandparents' and parents' generations eventually lost touch with their relatives. It's sad but I can't really blame them for that.

Glad to see that you're back writing again. Take care, buddy. :)

Panaderos said...

Atticus,

So it's very possible that you might be related to the Benedictos of Bacolod. :)

Thanks for the offer. :D I'll try to make use of my lazy nephews first and see if I can make them do something that will give meaning to their existence in this world. Hahaha

Panaderos said...

Katcarneo,

Wow! Ten generations is quite a goal. But given time, it should be very doable. In my case, I have to sort out my greatgrandparent's generation first. I need to see who their parents and siblings (if any) were and then work my way up and down from there. It'll be a lot of work I think but I'd like to give it a shot.

Panaderos said...

R-Yo,

Hopefully, you'll be able to do so someday too, Pards. I wish you the best of luck.

Panaderos said...

Ever,

Oo nga, Pards. Habang malakas pa sila, tanungin mo na. Ang mahirap kasi sa sitwasyon ko e matatanda na ang mga tiya ko sa side ng mother ko. Their memories are starting to fail. Mas magiging madali sana ang pag-research kung malakas pa ang mga isip nila.

Panaderos said...

Blogusvox,

We have something in common, Pards. My last name is also Basque in origin. However, I'm not sure if we truly have any significant drop of Spanish blood within us. Our physical features are predominantly Chinese and if I have a Spanish surname, it's probably more because an ancestor may have adopted it to comply with Spanish laws in place at the time. I'm not sure and it's just a hunch at this point.

Panaderos said...

Rudy,

Thank you very much for the confirmation, Pards. Much appreciated. :)

Unknown said...

you're up for a challenging task of tracking down your roots. i've also been doing that for the past 3 years or so. i'm a bit lucky because both sides of my family are fond of talking about their roots. i grew up with stories that i thought were just stories, only to find out recently that the stories about my family are true. i was able to trace my father's side of the family in a town in leyte. i'm planning to trace the connection in bicol. from my mother's side, it's great that i was to connect with an aunt in davao through the net---she has family stories, too, even wrote a book about it. then i went to dumaguete to met some of the family members. ayyy, ang saya! my aunt and i are planning to do a family tree...so the saga continues.:D

good luck to you!