The hotel I stayed in at Alexandria, Virginia a few weeks ago happened to be very close to the Potomac River. I was lucky in that the city had a small park by the river called Tide Lock Park and my hotel was just a block away from it. So one weekday afternoon after work, I decided to take a walk in the park to enjoy the sites and to take in some fresh air. The park had some park benches near the water where one could sit and relax to enjoy a nice, lazy afternoon.
The photo below shows the banks of the river and a walkway next to it. The walkway is quite long and stretches for at least eight miles along the banks of the Potomac River.
A shot of one section of the walkway. The area at the other side of the river is Washington, D.C.
A shot of another part of the same walkway. This time, in the background, one can see the faint outline of the Washington Monument at the left. One could also see towards the right the dome of the US Capitol. 
Another shot of the river's banks. 
On the way back to the hotel, I walked by these nice colonial-style townhomes. They were in a great spot for they had a clear, unobstructed view of the river. 
The townhomes were on a rise or hill and I walked a bit towards them to take a closer shot.
I took another shot of the townhomes as soon as I got back to my hotel room. The following picture is a shot of those homes from my hotel window. The picture shows how close those homes are to the river.
The bridge you see in the background is the Woodrow Wilson Bridge which links Alexandria, Virginia to Washington, D.C.
I enjoyed my brief walk in Tide Lock Park that afternoon. The views and the fresh air helped me destress that afternoon.
Wednesday, August 6, 2008
An Afternoon By The Potomac
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Diseño por headsetoptions | A Blogger por Blog and Web



52 responses:
i'm buying a house in alexandria. :D
Mari,
That would be a nice thing to do someday. :)
Panaderos, magandang gabi! I have no experiences on that eastern side of the continent, but for those of us of European blood, there is a longer history there, than on this Pacific side....
Good having you writing regularly again.
Great shots of the Potomac River, pards. The park seemed so quiet and empty that day, masarap nga maglakad pag ganyan. It's a nice place to live in, unless of course one prefers the glitz and glamor of the big city life...
simply,smoothly,walking time adventure...(yehey marunongnakongmagenglish)
sarap naman dyan. so peaceful.. nakakagaan ng feelings. :)
nice shots, the calirya lake is a nice one, too, and there are resorts that offer a peaceful view of the lake. but the colonial houses there are interesting.
dropping by from impostor's site.
sana may close up ng woodrow bridge. ganda ng design.
pic #4 looks like your blog's header image :) wish we had places like this here -- where you can sit and have a quiet thought or two. come to think of it maybe there are places like that here. I just haven't found them yet :)
mr. baker
thanks for sharing great pics from alexandria. i almost moved somewhere there to start afresh. who knows, that is still an option.
the summer is going to be over soon. i hope you have been enjoying warm weather.
kelan tayo mag hahalo-halo?
that's my kind of place to take a walk and refresh the mind. =)
i desperately need a walk in one of those beautiful and peaceful places these days...
Keith,
Magandang tanghali sa iyo. :-) True, the East Coast thus possess a much longer history than the West. Thus, the "old towns" in the East often date back to the 16th and 17th centuries as compared to the West where the oldest European settlements were Spanish and probably date back to the 18th century if I'm not mistaken.
Thanks. :)
Rudy,
It's a nice and quiet area. One can spend a quiet afternoon on one of the park's benches reading a book or just enjoying the sites. :)
Ever,
Hahaha Oks lang. Tahimik na lugar siya. Puwede kang mag-painting doon, Pards. Makaka-concentrate ka dahil wala gaanong mga istorbo. :)
Lei,
Ang sarap magpahangin at kung puwede nga lang mag-siesta doon e gagawin ko na rin. Hehehe
BBR,
I haven't been to Caliraya Lake but I've heard from people that it's a nice place to visit. I wish I can see it someday.
Thanks for the visit. Much appreciated. :)
Dong,
Sayang nga e. I tried to do that but I wasn't able to do so due to limitations with my camera. Maybe next time.
It's a nice, long bridge and parts of it can be lifted to let big ships pass through.
after laughter, walking is always a good medicine ;)
Bambit,
There probably are places in the country that are like this park. In all probability, they're outside Metro Manila.
You're right about pic #4. It does resemble my blog header's image. :-)
Jane,
I lived there years ago and I certainly won't mind moving back.
I'm fine, thanks. Enjoying the summer a lot. :D I hope you are too.
As for the halo-halo, let me know kung kailan ka puwede. Saan ba masarap ang halo-halo? :)
Carlotta1924,
It's a nice place to go on a long walk. The walkway is rather long but one very good thing about the park is that it's not crowded. It's the type of place where you can hear yourself think and I love that. :)
Bing,
You'll certainly love this park then. :)
Penny Lane,
That is so true. I enjoy taking long walks early in the morning on weekends. Ever since I started doing it, I've felt a lot better about myself. Naks! :D
wow ang sarap naman diyan. gusto ko ring yang ganyan.. maglakad sa park ng walang iniisiip. hay.
Princess Dyanie,
Oo nga e. Nice to have not a care in the world paminsan-minsan. Nakaka-relax talaga. :)
I enjoy arm chair travelling with you on this post. I looooove the last photo.
hey nice shots! hahaha maybe i would include this place to visit in my list!=) anyway, when i saw the homes so close to each other, i think it was very stiff, haha anyway, maybe i just want a spacious home and backyard for myself... lol
Photo Cache,
Thank you very much for the compliment. I'm glad you liked the photos, especially the last one. The view of the roofs was quite nice from my hotel room window and so I decided to take a shot of it. :)
Neuroticsister,
Hahaha That's ok. However, don't let the exterior fool you. Although those homes were attached to each other, each one is quite spacious within and the walls are so soundproof that you won't hear anything from the adjacent dwellings. Each of those homes were like mini-mansions within.
From the looks of it the Potomac is a pretty wide river.
I passed by the DC area on my way to North Carolina last spring break and man, there were lots of cars and people drive like they're catching to punch the time clock LOL :) It's quite a pretty place though :)
i love the views of shorelines, beaches, river, falls and all bodies of water.:)
nice shots!Thanks for sharing.
BW,
It is pretty wide in the area where I was because that section of the river was pretty close to the Atlantic Ocean. The width varies and even decreases the further the river goes into Virginia.
Driving within the Beltway in Washington DC could get quite chaotic especially during rush hours in the morning and evening. :)
Nyl,
Thanks. I'm glad you liked them. :)
i didn't know alexandria was that close to DC. as in kita na yung bridge o.
the river looks so serene, very calming! i assume i'd be able to sort out the traffic on my head if i was there on that bench.
pag nagpunta ako riyan, ipapasyal mo ako riyan? tapos ililibre mo ako ng dinner? :)
i am trying very, very, very hard not to feel jealous of their well-planned cities with trees and huge sidewalks and clean rivers.
A great way to destress. I especially like the last picture. My first time to drop by your site. Looking forward to read more of your posts. =)
Duke,
Yeah, magkatabi lang sila. Mag-kabilang ibayo lang. Madali lang marating ang Alexandria from Washington DC. By subway (Metro), you can get to Alexandria from DC within 10 minutes at the most.
Prinsesamusang,
Definitely. One can enjoy a good book or even a good nap just sitting in one of those park benches. The setting's really quite serene.
Atticus,
Pasyal and dinner? Ayos lang, no problem. Basta nasa Blogroll ko, oks lang! :) Kain tayo sa kinainan ni George Washington (Gadsby's Tavern) kasi masarap ang steak doon. :)
WitsandNuts,
Thanks for the compliment. If I lived in one of those homes, I assure you you'll often see me gazing out the window looking towards the river. As they say, water has such a calming effect. I would probably be a much calmer person by now. :D
Thanks for visiting my site. Please do come back. :)
well, if that's what you say it is, then i would like to buy one someday! haha but, i would still want my spacious home and backyard too! hahaha
Wow! Great shots of a picturesque place! Ganda ng mga bahay....
Neuroticsister,
Cool! Hahaha :)
Mirage2g,
Yeah, nakaka-inggit nga e. Ang ganda ng location nila harap iyong river. :)
I forgot pala, meron ako award for you sa Vienna DAily ehehehe...wala lang! Salamat po ng marami! =D
Beautiful! That's the sort of place I like where I can enjoy writing and walking in solitude.
Mirage2g,
Hello, G! How are you and the family? Thanks a lot for the award. You didn't have to but thanks. :)
Toe,
Yes indeed. :)
i think it would be nice to walk around that area
seems the air is so fresh and looks like crime rate is low
harhar...
what a paradise (ano daw?)
Pchi,
That section of Alexandria is quite peaceful and safe. As a whole, Alexandria is a safe city with a very low crime rate. As a result, a lot of tourists come to visit and spend time there.
Thanks a lot for the visit. Much appreciated. :)
Post a Comment