Frank Sinatra Drive. Situated on the eastern side of the small city of Hoboken in New Jersey, this road is only less than half a mile long but provides one with impressive views of the Manhattan skyline.
The following is a map of Hoboken and it shows Frank Sinatra Drive running along the city's eastern coast line by the Hudson River. (Source: Wikipedia)
The following is a shot of the walkway by the Hudson. This walkway is one of the features and attractions of the Frank Sinatra Park complex. This small park, built and opened in 1998, was dedicated to the memory of the late crooner who the citizens of Hoboken consider as one of their city's "greatest gifts to the world".
I was facing south when I took the following shot and from this vantage point, one can see parts of both the skylines of downtown Manhattan (buildings to the left of the Hudson River) and of Jersey City (buildings to the right). In the distance you will also see a suspension bridge quite similar in style to San Francisco's famed Golden Gate Bridge. That bridge is called the Verrazano Narrows Bridge that connects the New York City boroughs of Brooklyn and Staten Island.
The photo below shows one of the best attractions of the park. This gazebo sits right on the water and is quite a popular spot because it gives one a closer view of the Manhattan skyline. In addition, it is also a popular spot for recreational fishers such as the gentlemen shown on the photo. On one end of the pier, one can clearly see their fishing rods extending out into the waters.
I walked up the walkway and past the above gazebo to take the following shot of Manhattan:
The following two photos show more shots of Manhattan this time taken from the gazebo I showed two pictures up.

Oh look! There's a little buoy in the water! (Pardon this lame attempt at humor.)
Unfortunately, this photo shoot ended on quite a sad note. I got so caught up taking pictures of the scenery that I didn't realize I had bumped into some of the park's railings and as a result, I inadvertently caused quite a bit of damage. As you can see from the following photo, my carelessness caused some sections of the railings to collapse with one of them hanging precariously by the water.
Luckily, there were no witnesses and thus I was able to hop back into my car and make a quick escape from the scene. Hehehe
Seriously, the above photo shows a section of the park that remains closed to the public. A portion of the park was used as a parking lot by the faculty and staff of the Stevens Institute of Technology whose campus is located across the street. An accident occurred in October 2007 when a portion of the parking lot collapsed causing one car to fall into the water.
Hoboken, like its neighboring city to the south, Jersey City, was a rough-and-tumble town for most of the 20th Century. While New York City was predominantly white collar, New Jersey's cities by the Hudson were blue collar towns and home to longshoremen and factory workers, mostly European immigrants from Eastern and Southern Europe. For many years, Hoboken, like the other cities on the New Jersey side, was not a safe city to be in. That period included Mr. Sinatra's years there. Bar brawls, crime, mob activity and prostitution were rampant. The 1954 movie "On The Waterfront" that starred Marlon Brando was filmed on location in Hoboken and showed the rough life of dock workers.
Redevelopment and gentrification started some time in the 1980s and picked up steam during the early 1990s. Its proximity to Manhattan and convenient access to subway stations and buses made it attractive to young, urban professionals who worked for Wall Street firms. Thus, in contrast to its previous reputation as an unsavory town, Hoboken is now what one would call a "hip" place to be. Jersey City now boasts of a modern skyline and Hoboken is following suit.
A close friend first took me to this city back in early 1995. The city's main drag, Washington Street, is home to a number of fine restaurants and shops. What I love about this place is that since it is quite a small city, one can pretty much walk to any spot or place within it. One can live in the town without ever having the need for a car. Although a few blocks within the city are not that desirable to live in, Hoboken, for the most part, is a pretty safe place.
Many five-story brownstones that used to be home to the longshoremen and factory workers are still there. However, a great number of them have been renovated and are now home to the urban professionals who have helped revive the town. Though these brownstones may look old from the outside, their interiors boast of the latest technological conveniences.
But Frank Sinatra Park and the stretch of road named after him have clearly become my favorite spots in this city. There are park benches where one can just sit and relax, read a good book, enjoy the view, and be alone with one's thoughts. It is a quiet stretch of road popular to walkers, joggers, and skateboarders. There's always a nice breeze coming in from the Atlantic that makes the experience quite enjoyable.
So if you ever find yourself by this neck of the woods someday, consider stopping by Hoboken to enjoy not just the park above but also the other attractions (restaurants and shops) this little city has to offer. (I feel like a realtor doing a sales pitch with this closing sentence. Sigh.)
Sunday, August 24, 2008
An Afternoon By The Waterfront
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Diseño por headsetoptions | A Blogger por Blog and Web



64 responses:
Thanks for the tour. I was mesmerized by the clouds. =)
the skyline is beautiful. it looks that the place is highly dense in that area.
another tour of the east coast :). i like the view from the walkway, reminds me of the photo you took in alexandria.
you may consider a career change, indeed. he-he.
Nice pics. My fave is the 3rd to the last pic. Postcard material.
About the railing, you shouldn't feel bad about it. In fact, had you been caught, you could have complained that the railings are not properly installed which nearly caused you injury. :D
the scene looks very calming. parang out of a movie nga eh. quiet and soothing. hay nako gusto ko na ng bakasyon!
You are quite the historian. Always educational to come here
the tourism department ought to start paying you. have you ever considered changing your day job? galing!
That's a park? Bakit parang uninhabited? Wala kahit isang tao akong nakita, hehe
nice shots! naiingit na talga ako! hahaha gusto ko na makabili ng cam ko! huhu anyway, i like the park... parang ang sarap magmuni-muni at magisip-isip jan... hay... kailan ko naman kaya magagawa yun! haha
Nice scenery pards. Ang sarap sigurong mag-jogging dyan. Funny though the place is pleasant and peaceful is named after a man who is well known, besides his "oily" voice, to be connected (but not proven) with the "mob".
it's amazing, it's a spot in the middle of a city and yet there are hardly any people in the pictures.
just passing by tosay hello. have graet week ahead
WitsandNuts,
You're welcome. There were indeed a lot of clouds that day. Good thing that in spite of the clouds it was still a clear day.
Dong,
Manhattan and its surrounding areas in both New York and New Jersey are very dense areas. In fact, they count as among the densest areas in the United States.
Mari,
For a non-swimmer, I don't understand why I like places that are close to the water. :D
There are indeed similarities to the park in Alexandria. However, Alexandria's is much bigger and has some grassy areas where families can either have a picnic or play.
Mitsuru,
I think I should. Hahaha :D
Abaniko,
Yeah, I could have sued them and possibly claim for damages. LOL! Early retirement, man! :D
Prinsesamusang,
It is a relatively peaceful place. I like it because the setting is quite relaxing.
Keith,
Thank you very much. :)
Atticus,
Thank you. I have indeed considered changing my day job to something more interesting. Hahaha
Rolly,
Hahaha It was early afternoon, right after lunch time when I went there. There were some people but I timed my shots so that I had more or less clear views of the sights. Plus, some people here do not approve of being photographed or being made part of one's photograph and thus I took extra care to avoid such unnecessary aggravation.
Neuroticsister,
"You don't know where life will take you." Those were words my Spanish teacher told us that i still remember to this day. She was exhorting us to try our best to learn the language.
Aside from language, those wise words also apply to many other things. In your case, study hard and who knows? You may find yourself living in my area or in some much nicer place someday. :)
Blogusvox,
It is popular to joggers and walkers.
Although Frank Sinatra was not found to have been involved in any illegal mob activity, he certainly did business with them. During the 1950s and 1960s, he was a regular performer in Las Vegas casinos whose management had links to organized crime.
Bambit,
The shots were taken in the early afternoon hours, right after lunch. That helps explain the small number of people in the park. Plus, I also timed my shots to have clear views of my intended subjects.
Gbex and Ellen,
Thank you very much for the visit. Have a great week too. :)
you're baddd!you almost made me believe that you really caused those damages though in my mind I kept arguing how could an ordinary human being do it..unless you're a ahhh..never mind!haha!
nice pics!i like all views esp. the gazebo--looks romantic!thanks for sharing!
Hey Pan, about the railing, don't you think that this could be read as a confession? Ha ha ha!
Nyl,
You're welcome. Hahaha When I saw those railings, I immediately thought that I could certainly use a photo of those for something. :D
Em,
LOL Yes, someone could take it as a confession. I might get a call from the Hoboken Police Department soon. Hahaha
you're too poetic to be a realtor :p
i love long walks. it cures the soul, dontcha think so?
Very quiet and serene place, and very clean too. Just the kinda of place I'd like to have a good book and an outdoor nap.
Love this armchair travel courtesy of my friendly baker.
The photos are just amazing. The sky is so glorious. And the waterfront looks so very clean.
I reckon you don't live that far from here?
Penny Lane,
Hahaha And I'm not good at selling anything anyway. :D
I go on long walks on weekends weather permitting. I do agree with you that walks do help cure the soul. In my case, I get to be alone with my thoughts. It's like a walking meditation for me and it helps reenergize me.
Major Tom,
The place is indeed very ideal for an outdoor nap. I was very tempted to take one. Hehehe
Photo Cache,
Thank you for the compliment. :)
You're right in that I don't live far from this place. Only a few minutes' drive.
They are mighty proud of old blue eyes aren't they? They named a whole park complex after him.
Great shots as usual! Thanks for the visual treat :)
Wonderful photos! It was as if you're the only person in that area. Looks very serene to me. :-)
Thanks for bringing us with you. Looks like a perfect day.:)
these are really nice shots panaderos. what i would give to personally take shots of those. great job.
Did it ever occur to you that the department of parks and wildlife may have installed cctvs hidden somewhere? You may one day find a subpoena in your mailbox, hehehe. Nah! sobra naman yon, but let's hope no one in the department read this blog, hahaha. :-D
Ang gandaaaaaaaa
Daphne,
Yes, they are. Hoboken even has a "walking tour" of places within the city that had links to Sinatra's personal and professional life such as the homes he lived in and the places where he started out as a performer.
Dyosa,
Thanks. I wasn't the only person there. There were quite a number of people in the vicinity. It was just in the way that I timed my shots that it seemed like there was hardly anyone else there. :)
Luna Miranda,
It was a perfect day to take pictures. The views of Manhattan were clear unlike other days when it could be quite hazy.
Thanks for the compliment. :)
Lawstude,
Thank you very much for the kind words. Much appreciated. :)
Rudy,
Hahaha I didn't notice any CCTVs in the area but who knows? They might have some small ones embedded or stuck to a trash can or a park bench. Hehe
I've only been in court here twice and both were for traffic violations. Hmmm... I think I'll make both as subjects for a future blog entry. Thanks!
Aline,
Kumusta na? Thanks. It is indeed a nice little pretty spot. It's not grand like Central Park. It's simple, clean and quiet and I think that's what a lot of people want in a park.
ganado akong pumasyal dito sa blog,lalo na sa ganitong tanawain,pakiramdam ko naglalakbay yung isip ko...
salamat sa pagpost ng ganitong tanawin..more pls!(nag request pa!he he he.)
Ever,
Maraming salamat, Pards. :)
Hayaan mo, may mga susunod pa diyan. May mga lawaran pa ako na hindi na nailalathala e. (Naks! Napabigat yata ang Tagalog ko doon. Hehehe)
what a nice write-up about hoboken. yang park kamukha nung nasa west side ng manhattan. if ever i would have the chance to visit the east coast again, i'll be sure to check out that park in hoboken. =)
Carlotta,
Kumusta na? As for me, I haven't been to that park on the West Side of Manhattan. Would you believe too na sa tagal ko na dito e I haven't had the chance to visit Central Park??? :D
I'll check the West Side out some time soon. Thanks! :)
Wonderful tour of Hoboken. I've always dreamed about going to NY and this was like a virtual tour. Thanks!
nice shots. picture perfect. you know, this can be your sideline - tourtrips, and yeah, you can even go to sales/marketing.
seriously, i enjoyed reading it, makes me feel i'm there even if i havnt been to the other side of the pacific (writing in the perspective that i'm from the Philippines, parang hindi bagay kiung sabihin kong Atlantic, hehehe)
pero aminin mo, being alone with your thoughts too much can sometimes be harmful hehehe.
lalo na if you're the type who's addicted to self-psychoanalysis.
BloggingBugs,
Thank you very much. I'm glad you liked it. :)
ang gandang ng clouds :)
in all the photos, of all the corners--- i fell for the capture of the clouds. your writing is so versatile. i favorite your music and nostalgic posts. :)
-modernpatadyong-
It must be nice to go fishing in that gazebo with that spectacular view of the Manhattan skyline.
Good post Panaderos... I've never heard of the Frank Sinatra before. Thanks for sharing.
Rheiboy17,
Thanks. Hahaha Malakas bang mambola? :D
I've stayed here many years and to this day, something in me still finds it quite odd equating "Atlantic" with the word "Ocean". I guess in my heart, the concept of an ocean would still be the Pacific.
Penny Lane,
I agree. Too much of everything can be quite bad or unhealthy for us. I'm borderline introvert/extrovert. Thus, even though there are a lot of times when I would prefer to be alone with my thoughts to reenergize, I also enjoy small, intimate gatherings with close friends. :)
Yvonne,
Thanks. Yes, they were quite pretty that day. It was also a clear day in spite of all those clouds.
Singgit,
Thanks so much for the compliments. :)
Toe,
Thanks. I love looking at skylines. :)
I didn't really know anything about the city of Hoboken and Sinatra's relationship to it until I moved in the area. Although he moved to California once he became famous, his parents remained in the city until they died.
Post a Comment