Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Boys Named Goo

And even though the moment passed me by
I still can't turn away
Cause all the dreams you never thought you'd lose
Got tossed along the way
And letters that you never meant to send
Get lost or thrown away


The first time I heard both this band and this song was on my car radio as I was driving home from work one summer evening back in 1995. The song is called "Name" by a band called the Goo Goo Dolls. Up to that point, I had never heard of the band and thus I was quite unfamiliar with any of their songs and their music. As I've stated on a previous post, I tend to love songs that create a new and original sound and once I heard this particular song, I felt that it was no exception.


What impressed me was the lead and bass guitar playing. The song's guitar intro impressed me and piqued my interest. Thus, I listened to the entire song as it played out and became more impressed with the musicianship that I became an instant fan. I felt those guys were pretty damn good. Plus, the band also had a pretty cool name. Although I don't profess to have an eye for talent, I felt at the time that this band was very good and could hit it really big.

I was quite impressed that I did some research on the band. I eventually found out that the Goo Goo Dolls were actually a trio of musicians named John Rzeznik (vocals and guitar), Robby Takac (bass guitar), and Mike Malinin (drums). From the sound I heard, I had expected them to be at least a quartet. Mr. Rzeznik was both the singer and songwriter for both the songs featured on this blog entry.

To this day, I'm not sure if "Name" got a lot of airplay or even became a hit back home in the Philippines. But what I was pretty sure of was that sooner or later, one of their songs will eventually get the band the attention and admiration it deserved.

Well, the band didn't disappoint because two years later in 1997, they finally gained worldwide fame when they released what would prove to be their biggest hit song "Iris". The band was commissioned to write the song as part of the soundtrack for the movie, "City of Angels".


Both the music and lyrics were great on this song. I felt the song perfectly captured the film character's feelings of love and despair. In my humble opinion, the best words were in the first two stanzas and the chorus.

And I'd give up forever to touch you
Cause I know that you feel me somehow
You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be
And I don't want to go home right now

And all I can taste is this moment
And all I can breathe is your life
Cause sooner or later it's over
I just don't want to miss you tonight

And I don't want the world to see me
Cause I don't think that they'd understand
When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

29 responses:

Anonymous said...

have you seen city of angels? i watched it a home and just like any mushy movie i fancied, i cried.

Unknown said...

i love the music of goo goo dolls. Rzeznik is a remarkable songwriter with a great voice. 'iris' is the national anthem of a friend when he's drunk.:D

escape said...

i like their songs too. i miss this band.

Anonymous said...

oh I appreciate a lot the music of googoo dolls.. especially the song that popularized the movie "CITY OF ANGELS".. which is IRIS...

Kaya lang where na kaya sila?...

Panaderos said...

Mari,

No, unfortunately I haven't seen the movie yet. I'll probably just wait for it on cable. :)

Panaderos said...

Luna Miranda,

Hahaha I can't blame him. The lyrics to Iris really hit the spot emotionally. Thus, I can easily imagine making it my national anthem too should I find myself inebriated one of these days. :D

rolly said...

Goo goo dolls is a band that is way after my time but I've heard a few of their songs and yes, I like them, too.

Panaderos said...

The Dong,

The band is still around. Unfortunately, they're probably not getting a lot of airplay over there.

It's one of the downsides to the radio stations' current practice of pre-programming their play lists. It's rare to find DJs now who are given the artistic freedom to pick and choose artists whose songs they want to introduce to the listening public.

Panaderos said...

Jeniffer,

The band is still around and still actively performs here in the US. As I had mentioned in my previous comment above, their new songs probably are just not getting adequate airplay in Manila. Sad, isn't it?

Panaderos said...

Rolly,

I hardly listen to the radio anymore. I would say that close to 100% of the music I listen to these days come from my CD collection. It's extremely rare that I buy songs from a new artist unless someone recommends it.

The Goo Goo Dolls, I must say, was one of the last bands, I got to admire back in the days when I still listened to the radio for the latest hits. I don't do that anymore.

atticus said...

They were very effective in City of Angels. The lyrics really showed the depth of the writer's emotion. and the music, grand.

baduy ang plot ng movie. gasgas na, but the music, haaay. Grand, just grand!

Anonymous said...

iris is a good song. City of Angels is a good movie, too. mushy nga lang he he bagay sa mga in love.

Panaderos said...

Atticus,

One of the reasons why I didn't get to see the movie when it came out was that aside from a busy schedule, I was not, and still am not, a big Nicolas Cage fan. Listening to Iris is heaven enough for me. :)

Panaderos said...

Bingskee,

Hahaha Bagay na bagay nga. :D Even though Iris is a love song, it does not come across as mushy. The song still has an edge to it.

RJ said...

sabi nila pang bading or tibo daw ang kantang iris.

And I don't want the world to see me, Cause I don't think that they'd understand, When everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am.

hehehe pwede nga. double meaning. =D

Panaderos said...

RJ,

Hahaha Multo yata kasi ang character ni Nicholas Cage sa movie na City of Angels. He fell in lowe with a human kaya iyon ang lyrics ng kanta. :)

Anonymous said...

loved the lyrics! makabagbag-damdamin hehee..

thanks for the warm welcome buddy...missed hanging out here...

take care..

Panaderos said...

Fingertalks,

Thanks. I'm glad you're back blogging again. :) Welcome back, too.

Unknown said...

Hmm, I'm ashamed to say that I'm not familiar with the song, even though I've seen the movie. But I have heard of the band though... :-)

Panaderos said...

Rudy,

Oks lang, Pards. Nothing to be ashamed of. Ang dami ko na ring hindi kilala sa mga bagong banda eh. :)

Anonymous said...

hahay. i am soooo nostalgic. these are my all-time fave songs. <3 NAME, been listening to it ba since nung errrm bata pa ako, noong una i found the lyrics vague pero it felt to right to the heart. so i was thinking, some things are better felt than read or sung. IRIS has the most piercing words. nainis nga ako nung masyado na syang nai-FM :D

"an i give up forever to touch you"

hahay.

Anonymous said...

pare, im adding you up sa amigos ko ha. not because na nagagandahan ka sa legs ko pero dahil mukhang magkakasundo tayo ;)

Panaderos said...

Tinay,

Nakakainis nga pag overplayed na sa radio. In a way, a song gets diminished. We tend to rediscover them na lang years later once all the hoopla around the song have subsided.

Hahaha No problem with the link. Will do the same. :)

rdl said...

both great songs!! you have good taste my friend.

Panaderos said...

RDL,

Thanks, buddy for the compliment. Much appreciated. :)

Unknown said...

hindi multo si nicolas cage sa city of angels...he was an angel.:D he's the kind of angel na nakikita ng malapit ng mag-expire. mushy nga ang movie...kakainis ang ending.:D

another great song in that movie is sarah mclachlan's 'in the arms of an angel'.

Panaderos said...

Luna Miranda,

Sorry, mali pala ako. Hehehe At least, that confirms na hindi ko napanood ang movie na iyon. :D

Hindi ko pa narinig iyong song ni Sarah McLachlan. I'll check it out.

Anonymous said...

hi panaderos, nakikibasa lang po.

first time kong narinig ang iris talaga namang na-inlove na ko sa kanta lalo na nung napanood ko yung city of angels. hindi ko nga alam na kasama sa soundtrack ang iris sa movie na to kase sa vcd ko na lang napanood mga 7 yrs after na naipalabas sa pilipinas. :) lalo tuloy ako na-inlove sa kanta.. mula noon hanggang ngayon hindi yan nawawala sa playlist ko. national anthem ko din pero hindi lang paglasing kasi hindi naman ako umiinom. hehe.

and yes nakakainlove din yun 'in the arms of an angel.. nakakakilabot.. nakakaiyak.. nakakain-love..

nice din po ng blog mo.. link kita ha. thanks.

Panaderos said...

Lei,

Alam mo, hindi ko pa napapanood iyang City of Angels although maganda nga raw siya sabi ng beloved ko. I've been having problems finding a DVD too. I hope to get my hands on a copy and watch it real soon. Who knows? Baka ma-in love din ako pag napanood ko. Hehehe :D

Maraming salamat sa pag-bisita! Ingat. :)