Thursday, June 12, 2008

Seven Baker Facts

I was tagged by my buddy, Luna Miranda, to do this meme. I found it quite fun to do even if it required some deep soul searching on my part. Naks!

Anyways, the Rules of the meme are as follows:

1. Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog.
2. Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
3. Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.
4. Let those 7 people know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

Having done with the proper introduction, here are 7 more facts about me:

1. I part my hair at the left. I've combed my hair in the exact same way since I was in my early elementary years.

2. My apologies to fans of the following artists but I absolutely cannot stand Basil Valdez and Side A. I find Basil's songs very depressing and boring. Side A ranks as a close second because I find their songs and their performances lacking in both edge and energy. I feel that those guys (Side A) just stand before a microphone, play their instruments, and sing without much movement. I would much rather that someone push me off the roof of a tall building than have me listen to both artists' CDs for even just a few minutes.

3. I am a big pancit bihon, pancit Malabon, and pancit luglog addict. I can survive for the rest of my life on these three dishes. I love my SO's pancit bihon by the way. (Plugging ba? Hehehe) For dessert, I love taho and Puto Binan.

4. I can play the piano and read music. However, one of my regrets in life was when I decided to stop taking piano lessons when I was in sixth grade. I should have continued with it. Another frustration I have is that I never learned to play the guitar. Although I can't play it, I've dreamt lots of times of becoming a session guitarist.

5. I play a mean game of table tennis. My parents taught me to play the game when I was 11 years old. It remains as one of my passions although I don't get to play much anymore.

6. I love reading articles that relate to Architecture and Civil Engineering, especially when the topics are about historic homes, buildings, and public infrastructure such as tunnels, dams, bridges, etc. I am simply amazed at the amount of thought and effort that made those structures not only aesthetically pleasing but also very functional.

7. Although we have a lot of Math wizards in the Panaderos clan, I am definitely not one of them. I developed an early love for the English language courtesy of my mother who was a wide reader. She taught me reading and reading comprehension. She was very strict with homework and whenever I misbehaved, even sermons I heard from my mother were laced with English quotations whenever she wanted to stress a particular point. The following are actual examples:
7a) "You are like a tree without a shade." - Translation: You're so useless and stupid.
7b) "If you can't take it as food, take it as medicine." - Translation: Eat your fruits and vegetables, damn it!
7c) "You're a man without a star." - Translation: You better develop some ambitions young man or else you're out of this house!

That's it for now. I am not going to tag anyone in particular but please feel free to do this tag if you so desire.

44 responses:

GODDESS said...

7 things i now know about you...
hope to get to know a lot more =)

 gmirage said...

hmmm, I havent done mine so its nice knowing you first, picking up stuff lol. we got some things in common. This tag is nice, Id do it soon, as in soon...

Anonymous said...

now, i know why you asked if i know how to play table tennis. bowling na lang or surface snorkeling. :D

docemdy said...

I don't like Basil Valdez too as I'm a Rico J fan through and through. But I love Side A and absolutely disagree with you about them having no movement at all. My girlfriends and I love the way Joey G moves his hips. You should watch them live!

Or maybe Side A's charm is exclusive to girls. Ha ha.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of tags. Hehe btw, your name's on the list na for the raffle of Journey's Revelation CD/DVD. It's in www.journey101.multiply.com

escape said...

I can play the piano and read music. >>> wow! lucky you. i really admire people who are into music. i cannot even read notes. hahaha... i only play percussions.

Unknown said...

I don't know but I find Basil's voice lacking in "oomph". Parang pinipilit niya yung birit niya... not that I like "birit" kings and queens ha? As for Side A. I find their songs too mushy for my taste... pang babae lang yata ang nagaapreciate ng mga music nila.

As for your frustration, I may not be Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits but I can teach you the basics of guitar playing... for a fee, hehe. Kidding...

Like you, math is definitely a no no for me. Curiously though, I ended up taking architecture in college... go figure.

Have a great weekend pards

Panaderos said...

Goddess,

Thanks. Have a good weekend! :)

Panaderos said...

Mirage2g,

Looking forward to your entry. :)

Panaderos said...

Mari,

Surface snorkeling. Hehehe No comment ako diyan. :D

Sige na nga. Bowling na kung bowling. Next time, hanap ka ng bowling lane na may masarap na pagkain din. :D

Panaderos said...

Em,

Kumusta na? I'm with you on Rico J. He was a great performer and brought a lot of energy into his performances. In my opinion, he was never boring to watch. Since nabanggit mo si Rico J, let me just sing a few lines from one of my favorite Rico Baby songs: (grabs imaginary microphone)

"Buhay ko'y nasa iyo,
Matitiis mo ba ako, oh baby!
Huwag sanang magtampo.
Sorry, puwede ba?"

I know Brownman Revival revived (no pun intended) this Rey Valera composition a while back for I heard it played on the radio when I was in Manila last year. Great song! Naks!

As far as Side A, I didn't even notice Joe G moved his hips pala while performing. Sorry and even if I did notice, I seriously doubt that that would be enough to change my opinion. :D

Panaderos said...

Mitsuru,

Thanks! Will wait for the results. :)

Panaderos said...

The Dong,

Don't belittle the percussions, bro. Percussions help keep the rhythmn and timing of a song. Oks din iyan! :)

Panaderos said...

Rudy,

I was in a party one time years ago and everything was going well. Everyone was having a fun time when suddenly some idiot decided to play a Basil Valdez CD. Within moments, the mood of the party totally changed. Naging malungkot. Awful.

I will keep your offer in mind when the day comes that I can really sit down and learn to play the guitar. :) Maybe we can start a band then. Hahaha

Man, how did you make it through Architecture without the aptitude for Math? I'd be interested to see your drawings though. :D

RJ said...

pareho din pala tayong frustrated sa pag-gigitara. hehehe

Panaderos said...

RJ,

Sayang 'no? Siguro kung natuto akong mag-gitara eh baka nag-attempt na rin akong sumulat ng kanta. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for playing this meme. Oy, pianoman ka pala! i wish i learned to play the piano...lolo ko kasi contrabida e.:D i played the guitar when i was a kid (until a discovered boys!). Haha

Side A is definitely a chick-band. I always laugh whenever I see Joey G. with his bouncing hair...pang shampoo commercial. I once thought he's gay.:D I'd go for Eraserheads...

Hats off to your mom. Now we know interesting things about you.:D

Photo Cache said...

I was gone when Side A came into fold so I really don't know much about them. I don't particularly like Basil, but I adored one of his songs, LET THE PAIN REMAIN. For a while it was one of my fave songs.

Nice to see you doing tags. It's wonderful to get to know you better.

Anonymous said...

side A was a hit during my time in dlsu. unfortunately, i never got to watch them play in the univ.

Panaderos said...

Luna Miranda,

Yeah, muntik na kong mag-Billy Joel. Hahaha :D I liked the Eraserheads. They were an exciting band and wrote their own material.

Thanks, kikiligin ang ermat ko pag narinig iyan. She would feel na lahat ng gulping inabot ko noon were all worth it. :D

Panaderos said...

Photo Cache,

Thanks. :) Basil Valdez did have a string of hits especially in the early 80s. It's just that his songs were just too mellow for my taste and that's why I ignored him.

Panaderos said...

Mari,

I saw the band perform somewhere in Greenhills back in 1990. I can't remember the exact place now. I went upon the invitation of some friends.

And of course, after the concert, we treated ourselves to a sumptuous meal at GoodAh in Greenhills. :)

Anonymous said...

hi buddy!

loved the meme..esp. the English quotations and the translations...hehe

how r u? got an award for u, pls see my latest blog post. :p

cheers!

Panaderos said...

Fingertalks,

How are you, buddy? Thanks for the award. I'll check your blog post again. Have a great weekend! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting us in on more about you, Panaderos!
We share a lot in common: piano, taho, Puto Binan, interest in architecture, and a mother who uses quotes and metaphors to impart life's lessons, haha!
I'll pick a fight with you over Basil V and Side A though - these guys were icons of my (our?) time! I agree that Basil is 'parang tuod' when he performs, but I have to admit that certain emotions rush over me when I hear his songs and voice. Side A, on the other hand, they definitely created their own style of music. And their bassman, Joey Benin, is a prolific composer. I was always partial to Joey B over Joey G.

ipanema said...

lol...i love the last one. :)

Anonymous said...

1. Same here but to the right.
2. Basil? Can stand him. Side A? Too old to know them.
3. Love them too, but not for the rest of my life.
4. Piano, guitar and harmonica. All self taught (oido). But that was when I'm still an alcohol fan. Now, matigas na ang mga daliri ko but I can still play a few songs.
5. Pingpong? May beat a few. Basketball - point guard. Will play anyone of the same age-bracket.
6. I'll read anything that interest me. Kahit pinagbalutan nang tinapa.
7. I'm no math wizard either, but yan ang humatak (96%) sa isang failed subject (60%) ko when I took the board exam.

Anonymous said...

I don't have a clue about Side A. They came here for a concert and I didn't watch :(

As for Basil, he's like a baritone so there's a certain tone to his voice that makes you think he's fit for singing in an opera or choir, but I liked him when he was a member of the Circus band.

Since you're a big fan of pancit dishes, where's the siopao? hehe :)

Ash said...

Interesting list!

Panaderos said...

MegaMom,

You and I do have a lot of things in common and it's probably because we are of the same generation. :)

I just find Side A's sound and Basil's songs too mellow for my taste. I tend to gravitate towards songs with a certain edge and energy to them, with either moderate or fast beats.

Both artists (Basil and Side A) decided to focus on a certain type of music for a certain market segment or niche. It simply turned out that I'm not in that niche they cater to.

Panaderos said...

Ipanema,

Hehehe I just want to clarify that the words were said and probably applied to a particular moment in my childhood, ok? :D

Panaderos said...

Blogusvox,

I'm impressed with your musical skills, Pards. You literally have the ear for music. Impressive!

As for basketball, I always played the forward position because of my shooting. However, I was never part of any varsity team. And if ever I did, I would have probably just warmed the bench for the other players. Hehehe

My grades in my Math subjects improved tremendously when I was in college because I changed the way I studied and prepared for examinations. Although the process was more laborious and time-consuming, what I did was go through and re-solve all the examples given under each topic during the semester. That approach worked wonders for me.

Panaderos said...

BW,

He did perform well when he was with the Circus Band. That produced quite a good number of solo artists such as Tillie Moreno and Ray-An Fuentes. Names from the past. :)

Although I like siopao, it's the favorite of my biggest fan. Hehe :D

Panaderos said...

Ash,

Thanks and thanks for the visit. :)

ALiNe said...

7A to C's make sense ;p I used to love side A when I was in college...

Panaderos said...

Aline,

Thanks. It was my mom's way to push her kids to be better people. She succeeded because many years later, the words remain in my head. :)

Abaniko said...

Pareho tayo on #1. I don't experiment with my hair. Some friends used to call me Jose Rizal. Now, I always go for a Barber's Cut.

Panaderos said...

Abaniko,

Thanks. Those were the exact words that escaped me when I was writing this post down. My hair was, and will always be, one of those things that will stay within my comfort zone. Hehe :)

zherwin said...

though i dig eraserheads more, fan po ako ng side a, i have their cd's autographed, go to their concerts (be it araneta or an intimate bar) and i dreamt of having a singing voice like that of joey g. (alam mo yung kikiligin ang mga babae? hahaha)

Panaderos said...

Zherwin,

Hahaha Most of my friends were/are Side A fans. Maybe it is the "kilig" factor among the women that they were really aiming for. :)

CaleB said...

Waaah.. table tennis.. i love this sport.. adik kami ng tatay ko dito.. haha..

Panaderos said...

Caleb,

Ang sarap ilaro 'di ba? Adik na adik din ako diyan noon. I still enjoy playing it. :)

Thanks for the visit! Much appreciated. :)

Anonymous said...

You should be thankful you still have hair to part. He he. I'm not yet bald but I'm getting there. For now, I'm semi-kal.

Panaderos said...

Mon,

Thankfully, balding is not in my genes. My dad who is in his late 60s still has a thick head of hair on him. None of my uncles are bald or balding naman.