Thursday, June 19, 2008

Missing From YouTube

There is a certain sadness I feel whenever I go through YouTube's music video files. Regular readers of this blog will notice that quite often, I feature and write about a certain band or solo artist whose music I am a fan of or whose song was of some personal significance at a certain point in my life. But a review of all my posts classified under the Music category will show that the music artists I have so far written about have either been American or British artists.

This does not mean that I am not a fan of any Filipino band, singer, or songwriter. Far from being so. In fact, Original Pilipino Music, or OPM, blossomed during the 1970s, the decade of my childhood. This was the time when the phrase "We believe in the Filipino Talent" was heard often from the mouths of DJs whenever they introduced or played a song by a Filipino artist on the air.

As a result, I became a big fan of bands like Hotdog led by the brothers Rene and Dennis Garcia, VST & Co. whose best songs were written by Vic Sotto and Joey De Leon, and the folk songs of Heber Bartolome and Banyuhay and ASIN that opened my eyes to social and environmental issues. I was also a fan of rock musicians Mike Hanopol and Maria Cafra. I enjoyed listening to Sampaguita whenever she belted out her signature rock song "Bonggahan".

On the pop and ballad side, I was a fan of Rico J. Puno and Hajji Alejandro. Although I was not a big fan of Rey Valera, I respected him due to the fact that like a number of his peers at the time such as Tito and Vic Sotto, he penned a number of his songs and also wrote hit songs for fellow artists such as Sharon Cuneta ("Mr. DJ") and Rico Puno ("Sorry Na, Puwede Ba?"). To those of us who were present back in late 1978, we all know that it was the song "Mr. DJ" that catapulted Ms. Cuneta to nationwide fame.

But going back to the subject of this blog entry, I find it lamentable that unlike their American, British and other foreign counterparts, I have not been able to find classic television performances of any of the above named Filipino artists on YouTube. What I've seen so far are video clips of some of the artists' performances on recently-held reunion concerts. Aside from such clips, the only other YouTube entries available are Karaoke-type videos that only show their songs' lyrics but not the artists themselves.

Video clips of the artists' recent performances are fine except that they fail to show, especially to younger generations, the artists in their prime. It sure is nice to see Mike Hanopol belt "Jeprox" out in those reunion concerts but for a young Filipino, all he/she may see is a middle-aged guy performing a rock tune that his/her parents loved during their time. At best, although the youngster may appreciate the musicianship, he/she could only imagine how the artist performed back in the day when his popularity was at its height.

Growing up in the 70s, the artists I mentioned were regularly featured on shows like Discorama, which was shown on GMA-7 on Saturday evenings, or on daily noontime shows such as Student Canteen (GMA-7) and Eat Bulaga, which was then shown on RPN-9.

Discorama, hosted by the late Bobby Ledesma, was one of the rather cool shows to watch for this hour-long show was dedicated to the latest dances and songs. The show was fun to watch for they regularly featured and/or introduced Filipino artists along with their latest hits or releases. It was on this show where I first saw Pinoy rock artists Sampaguita ("Bonggahan"), Maria Cafra ("Kumusta Mga Kaibigan"), and Mike Hanopol ("Jeprox") perform the songs that would later become part of Filipino rock music history.

It was on Student Canteen where I first saw the likes of folk musicians such as Heber Bartolome ("Tayo'y Mga Pinoy")and ASIN ("Masdan Mo Ang Kapaligiran"); pop groups such as Hotdog ("Manila", "Panaginip"), Cinderella ("TL Ako sa Iyo") and VST & Company ("Awitin Mo, Isasayaw Ko", "Ipagpatawad Mo"); and balladeers such as Rey Valera ("Ako si Superman"), Hajji Alejandro ("Nakapagtataka"), and Anthony Castelo ("Balatkayo") who was also a cousin to Tito and Vic Sotto.

It was also on these shows where the country first saw a then twelve-year old Sharon Cuneta perform her first hit song "Mr. DJ".

It would be a great learning experience to everyone, especially the youth, if past television performances of these artists and those of their peers whose names I failed to mention were made available and shown to younger generations of Filipinos either through a documentary or a retrospective on Philippine music history. The performances will show clear and moving evidence on how these artists performed during their heyday and what made them great and/or popular to Filipino audiences at the time. Who knows? A budding musician from today's youth may even learn a thing or two from watching these artists.

But their absence from YouTube and from television documentaries is a reflection of of our society's obsession with trends. We tend to be obsessed with the latest and greatest ("uso") in areas like fashion and music. We tend to cast a huge spotlight on an artist while he/she is popular and then simply let him/her fade away from our collective memory once a newer artist comes along. We love to use the phrase "Laos na iyan!" ("That's old!" or "That's outdated!") to contemptuously label anything or even worse, anyone, we no longer consider as representative of the latest trends. We discard the old in favor of the new. We fail to realize that by doing so, we all lose.

Other countries, such as the US, Britain, and Japan, continue to honor the contributions of past artists in various forms such as tv documentaries, film preservation, and by simply showing video clips of artists' past performances on tv. In doing so, not only do they make sure that such artists' contributions are not forgotten but they also make sure that these artists are introduced to younger generations.

I hope that the tapes that contain the television performances of the artists I mentioned on this piece still survive within the video vaults or video tape archives of both GMA-7 and RPN-9. And if the tapes are still around, I certainly hope that both stations are doing a damn good of job of maintaining the tapes in very good and viewable condition so that someday, they can be viewed again by an appreciative audience. It would be an extreme disservice to our people if we find out later that both television stations had failed to preserve an important part of our cultural heritage.

40 responses:

RJ said...

i agree with your sentiments pards, artists nowadays do come and go. madali silang malimutan kapag nalaos, siguro dahil na din sa dami ng competition. gusto ko din ang mga lumang mga opm.

Anonymous said...

buhay ko'y nasa yo, matitiis mo ba ako, oh baby!!! wag sanang magtampo, sorry pwede ba? :D

haven't done my assignment yet. i'll let you know, ok?

Panaderos said...

RJ,

Hindi maiiwasan ang pagkalaos dahil nagbabago ang panahon. Malungkot lang kapag sila ay tuluyan nang nalilimutan.

Panaderos said...

Mari,

Naks! Kumanta pa? Kaninong theme song iyan? :D

Oks lang iyong assignment. May one month pa naman eh. Hehehe You have time. :)

Unknown said...

Apparently, thee aren't any available tapes or videos of these artists in the market. But yes, the stations do have them in their archives, and I doubt if they'll be giving them away for free just so it can be uploaded on You Tube.

I had wanted to feature the Hotdogs in my blog before but I just couldn't find any of them on You Tube, meron lang music but w/o the accompanying video.

Anonymous said...

pan, i'm not familiar with the songs of the artists you mentioned here, although i know these artists by names. and I think I remembered student canteen and the early days of eat bulaga. I am a decade or two late, kasi naabutan ko ay ang pagsikat ni Lea Salonga, Gary V, and those sa 80s

ALiNe said...

Di pa maciado uso yata yung video nun e... hehe! Baka nahirapan magconvert :p

escape said...

oo nga. kakahinayang. pero tingin ko wala pa silang digital copies. kaya lang parang meron naman yata sa mga video,cd,dvd shops. wala lang yata talagang gustong mag upload.

zherwin said...

archiving and preservation (be it film or even buildings) is not known to the authorities. some industry people are now pushing the panic button because they don't have copies of the supposedly gems of the philippine entertainment industry, they have to look far and dig into someone's library abroad para lang makakuha ng kopya.

siguro kung naging maagap lang, we maybe seeing even eddie peregrina or the young nora aunor doing their stuffs on youtube.

Unknown said...

This an eye-opener. I also tried searching for OPM songs in You Tube...wala nga yong mga concerts, jams in the 70's. Even Pinoy Woodstock is not in You Tube!:( I'm a big ASIN fan...watched a few of their concerts in the early 80's. I'm currently listening to Asin's Himig ng Pag-ibig...timeless talaga sila.

Great post.:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Panaderos!

I noticed that you didn't mention the Apo Hiking Society.

I was a DJ at the time that the KBP required playing of Filipino artists (yes, REQUIRED .. kasi talong-talo sa payola ng mga foreign artists kaya ginawang mandatory playing of OPM every 30 minutes).

This does not mean of course that I just played them because they were required. I loved many of the OPM songs (Hotdog, Bong Penera, Sampaguita, etc) and would play these frequently.

Let me check my files. I recently purchased Filipino songs from a Pinoy iTunes clone (sorry for the term) so maybe you can find some old songs there. NO videos however.

Anonymous said...

hey bro, the garcia brothers of the hotdog fame used to be one of our neighbors in bf pque.

Photo Cache said...

I sympathize with you. I too used to scour Youtube for these songs, but all I get are songs without the artists performance, just slidehows with musice.

I remember Sharon Cuneta's Mr. DJ when it came out. It was my older brother who was into it and all I wanted was to play outside. One day, I was coming in for a drink of water and brother asked me to sit down and listen to this song he's crazy about. He said it's new from a new singer. I cant forget that.

BTW, I totally dug Rey Valera, he's my hero. All those mushy love songs, I died for those.

Happy weekend (napahaba comment sowwy.)

Panaderos said...

Rudy,

I just hope that those tv stations are keeping those tapes in excellent condition. Tney may be concerned with copyright violations should they release them. They're well within their rights to protect their ownership of those tapes.

But I just think that they should come up with a way to present those tapes to a new generation of Pinoy music lovers. They can come up with a compilation of those performances and sell them to the public or they can present a documentaries, for example, on specific Filipino music genres.

Eventually, those will find their way onto YouTube. :)

Panaderos said...

Ceblogger,

Thanks but even with those artists you mentioned who came out during the 80s, we have not been shown clips of their performances from back then.

I first saw Lea Salonga back in 1980 when she sang a song that was written for the United Nations, the title of which was "Ako ay Munting Tinig" I think.

It would be great to see those performances again just to see how the artists have evolved or developed.

Panaderos said...

Aline,

Video's been around since the 1890s and the first Filipino movies of the silent movie era came out in the 1910s.

It's not a matter of converting. All these guys (from the tv stations) need to do is show those clips on tv and some smart Pinoy will find a way to post those videos on YouTube.

Panaderos said...

The Dong,

Madali lang ang pag-upload niyan eh. The more important thing is for these tv stations and some responsible journalist or historians to introduce these acts to a new generation of Pinoys. Their contributions need to be recognized and not just through books or industry awards. Young people need to see how these artists actually performed either onstage or on television during the height of their popularity.

It's not only a matter of remembrance but it's also a matter of educating the public.

Panaderos said...

Zherwin,

I agree with you totally. Heritage preservation is also a problem in other areas such as Pinoy movies and architecture.

As an example, in his last years, the late movie actor Oscar Moreno (Boots Anson-Roa's father who was a movie star back in the 1940s and 1950s) lamented that none of the films he did in his lifetime survived to be enjoyed by later generations.

It's very sad to see that a lot of the young people these days do not know enough or a lot of what previous generations achieved or accomplished.

Btw, the late Eddie Peregrina grew up a couple of blocks from my grandmother's home in Manila. Too bad that a car accident at the intersection of EDSA and Shaw Boulevard took his young life away back in the mid-1970s.

Panaderos said...

Luna Miranda,

ASIN!! YES!! :) I love their songs too.

Back to your comment, it's sad isn't it? I agree with you that a lot of these songs are timeless. The 70s was a great period in the history of the Philippine performing arts. Countless books and magazine/newspaper articles have been written about this period. But it would certainly help a lot of television would help spread this valuable information around.

Panaderos said...

Bugsybee,

Oops! Hahaha The absence of APO from my write-up was an oversight on my part. My apologies to APO and to their fans out there. Naks! :D

I remember their early tv appearances ; their hair was still long and they were all rather thin. I can't remember exactly though on what tv show I first saw them but it was around 1975 I think.

Wow, I'm honored by the presence of a DJ on my blog. :) Yes, I do remember that the KBP did require their playing on regular intervals. It was a commendable act because it certainly contributed to the success and popularity of Filipino artists. It also raised the people's awareness for homegrown talents.

Panaderos said...

Madbong,

Kumusta na? If I remember right, although Rene was the groups' front man, it was Dennis Garcia who wrote a lot of the songs.

Tiga-BF pala sila. Magpapa-autograph nga ako next time na magawi ako doon. Hehehe :D

Panaderos said...

Photo Cache,

Long comments are very welcome here. I don't have a problem with them and plus, you stayed on topic naman eh so that's fine by me. :)

Sharon Cuneta was a guest on a number of tv shows at the time and her face graced the cover of music and entertainment magazines. When I first saw her, the only thing I knew about her was that she was a niece of Helen Gamboa (Tito Sotto's wife). I didn't realize that she was also the daughter of the late Pablo Cuneta.

The song struck a chord because it was common practice in those days for radio listeners to call into their favorite radio programs to request the DJ to play their favorite songs.

Anonymous said...

hi buddy!

i share with your sentiments...how i missed hearing those old songs from our country (those in the '80s)..i prefer to listen to them than the songs of today...maybe it's because of the lyrics, the beat, and...maybe its relevance to people and society in general.

Panaderos said...

Fingertalks,

Every generation has a so-called soundtrack of its life, the songs that helped define a particular period or experience in our lives.

Anonymous said...

Hajji has lots of his songs on YouTube and I thought Nakapagtataka was on the list. There's lots of Pinoys who download the OPM songs but I didn't check the ones you've mentioned.

Binibini ( Rainmakers) in my opinion is one heck of a song from the OPM classics and I found it in YOUTUBE !

BTW did you remember the quartet of Nonong Pedero, Anthony Castelo, Boy Camara and another fella who's name slips from my mind - these guys sang in TV shows and gigs before they became sikat as individual singers - they were quite awesome ! Bit of history there eh? hehe.

Abaniko said...

We don't even have decent copies of Filipino movie classics like those by Lino Brocka, et al, how much more for television performances. And that's so sad.

Panaderos said...

BW,

But are any of his videos from the 70s on YouTube too? I haven't come across any of them.

Yikes! Totally forgot about the Rainmakers too! That's my bad. Strike 2 on me since I also inadvertently left APO out. But I do love "Binibini" a lot. :)

Regarding Pedero, Camara, et al, were you referring to "Gentle Rain"? I'm also trying to remember the 4th guy's name.

Panaderos said...

Abaniko,

I totally agree. I only covered the 70s on my post but I also wonder about all the past tv performances starting from the 1950s when tv broadcasting began in our country. I hope that some of those tapes still survive.

Regarding Lino Brocka, I was surprised to learn a few months back that some of his films from the 1970s are threatened with severe deterioration. It would be bad if we lose his work, and the same goes for the other great Filipino directors who came before him such as Conde, Avellana, etc.

rolly said...

Now I know Z am much older than you are because before the tv shows you mentioned, there was Ariel con Tina. That show always featured rock bands and a gamut of hip guests. The Garcia brothers appeared there before their Hotdog days. They were still known as Red Fox. There was also the Bits and Pieces who made Tower of Power's Sparkling in the Sand more popular with Rey Naluz on flute. Ahh, those were the days!

atticus said...

hehehe...i'd like to assure you that gma7 has a good library now. however, the tapes were affected by the power outages of the early 90s. i don't know if the old tapes (betacam, asus! kalalaki!) have been digitized. i'll ask for you.

yes, i worked there. for ten years until last year.

howie once did a docu on lost filipino movies. i think he found one in europe. mahina ang archives natin. i'm sure a lot more of our tapes were lost during the war.

Panaderos said...

Rolly,

I do remember the show Ariel con Tina but I have to admit that I was too young then to remember the guests. Thanks for the info you just shared, especially on the Garcia brothers and Rey Naluz. Wouldn't it be nice though to see clips of their appearances again?

I wonder what the level of public reception is going to be should GMA-7 or RPN-9 sell or market compilations of these artists' tv appearances either on DVD or VCD? I don't think they'll be disappointed with the sales.

Panaderos said...

Atticus,

Really? It's great to hear coming from a former inside source that GMA-7 has a very good library. :)

I sure hope that those severe power outages we had back in the early 90s (thanks Cory) did not lead to significant deterioration in the quality of those video tapes.

Yes, please do let us all know if the old tapes have been digitized. Sana nga para ma-preserve naman itong bahagi ng ating heritage. (Sorry at hindi ko na maalala kung ano ang Tagalog ng "heritage".)

As for film archiving, mahina talaga sa atin. I tried to join SOFIA (Society of Film Archivists) several years ago to just help out pero since I was abroad, there was no process in place to sign foreign-based members. Sayang. :(

 gmirage said...

I grew up singing all songs you mentioned...now I'd blame you that awitin mo at isasayaw ko would be somewhat like an LSS kahit na I only read the title lol.

I havent tried looking for videos of the original singers, how about revivals? I bet though, most of remembers the lyrics of those songs kahit matagal na ngang panahon ano?

(btw, my son is at home now but needs to continue his medication, thanks for your concern...much appreciated po)

Panaderos said...

Mirage2g,

So I guess kakantahin mo ang "Awitin Mo, Isasayaw Ko" complete with the "boses pusa" effect ng VST & Co.? Hehe :D

You're very welcome. Don't mention it. :) I'm very glad that your son's been released from the hospital. I hope he gets better soon para makita ko uli ang mga cute pictures ng mga bulilits mo. :) Take care and you and your hubby get some rest too.

BlogusVox said...

My favorite OPM's - Apo, Asin, Banyuhay, Florante, Coritha, Maria Capra, Sampaguita, Labuyo, Juan dela Cruz and last but not least Yoyoy Villame!

atticus said...

hmmm...try mo kaya pumunta sa isang library riyan at magtanong kung may filipino films sila? you'll be surprised. some of our old movies can be found overseas daw.

Panaderos said...

Blogusvox,

True, classic acts all of them. Everyone of those artists figured in the development of Filipino music and that's why I strongly believe that they and their music should not be forgotten.

Panaderos said...

Atticus,

That's an excellent suggestion. I'll probably give it a try. The New York City Public Library is the closest one to me and it's a pretty big one. It may take me a while to do given my personal and professional commitments but I'll sure give it a shot.

Like you, I find it ironic that foreigners seem to have done a much better job documenting our country's heritage than we have. I've watched several documentaries here on TV and it was only through their film archives that I got to see how Manila looked like right after the Spanish-American War and during the "peace time" period right before WW2.

Toe said...

I like Ray Valera - only if someone else but him sings his songs. :) I guess that the TV stations wouldn't allow their clips to be shown for free in Youtube. The copyright must be expensive.

Maybe with the American and British singers, the Americans and Brits taped the TV shows during the seventies on their betamax... and that's why there are clips to be downloaded on youtube.. ewan ko lang... just guessing here.

Panaderos said...

Toe,

Your guess is probably right. However, American and British television often show documentaries or retrospectives on artists who became part of their music history. Not so with our country.

I agree with you that the copyright may be downright expensive and it's probably the sole reason as to why we're being denied access to those classic film clips.