A part of me will always remain in this city.
Makati City, the Philippines. I started working here right after college. In the four jobs I held in the Philippines prior to migrating to the United States, three of the jobs were in this city.
The place has changed a lot since the last time I was here. There are a lot more tall and impressive skyscrapers. I remember back in the day when the 28-storey Pacific Star building (the white building at the left of the photo above) at the corner of Makati Avenue and Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue (Buendia) opened its doors to the public. The Republic of Nauru was one of the building's owners and representatives of the island republic's government were present at the building's inauguration. The newspapers hailed it as the country's tallest skyscraper.
Now, 20 years later, what used to be its magnificent white paint has turned a rather shoddy gray thus making the building look old and neglected when compared to the shiny new skyscrapers that have reshaped the Makati skyline.
There are a lot more restaurants and high-rise residential condominium buildings. The presence of call centers have turned Makati into a 24-hour city. A city not unlike Manhattan where finding a place to eat at any hour isn't a problem, a feature that's near and dear to yours truly's heart. Hehehe
The old Schwarzwalder restaurant that used to stand at the corner of Makati Avenue and Dela Rosa street is gone. An expanded Ayala Museum now stands on its old spot. My old office building on Dela Rosa street is gone too and on its old spot now stands a tall and impressive residential condominium building. Old carpark buildings now house 24-hour restaurants on their ground floors.
The Greenbelt and Glorietta shopping areas have changed a lot mostly for the better. What I used to know as Greenbelt is now known as Greenbelt 1. The old Makati Supermarket is gone and on its old spot stands Greenbelt 3.
These days, one can pretty much walk from EDSA all the way to Paseo de Roxas without having to expose one's self to the sun's rays. That wasn't the case when I worked in the area years ago. There were no pedestrian underpasses then and the shopping centers were a lot less crowded.
Traffic hasn't improved though. Countless cars still clog its streets. The fact that a lot of Makati CBD's streets are curved and narrow do not help improve the traffic flow situation at all. Parking remains at a premium and a number of taxicab drivers still discriminate when picking up passengers.
But anyway, I was glad to spend some time in this city even for just a short while. I love the city in spite of its imperfections. Anyway, every other city in the world has its own problems. Makati City and its buildings awed me as a child and I still remember the joy I felt the day I found out that I was to work here. For me, and a lot of others who dreamt of building a career in the corporate world, Makati City was the place where one set out to make a name for one's self. And as I looked at the changes around me last week, I still believe that Makati City remains as the place to be for those who want to make a name for themselves in the Philippine corporate scene.
Photo Credit: MQ
Sunday, June 1, 2008
A Place My Heart Will Never Leave
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Diseño por headsetoptions | A Blogger por Blog and Web



32 responses:
I used to call that Pacific Star building as "the building that s**t built" because the main export of the Republic of Nauru was bat guano, hehe. :-D
As for Schwarzwalder, well in it's heydays it was the finest German resto in town, too bad it has gone the way of the dodo.
True, the traffic in the city hasn't improved much over the years, parking is still a big headache especially on a workday, and that was one reason why I hated going there. But if it can't be helped that I need to be there on some business, I'd park my car in Makati Cinema Square and just take the jeep or cab to my destination.
dun ako sa tabi ng pacific star (bpi building) huling nagwork bago ako mag-OFW. nakakamiss nga ang makati, although almost 1.5 years pa lang ang nakakaraan, parang ang tagal na. hehehe.
Beautiful!
Rudy,
Hahaha Oo nga na the primary export of Nauru was fertilizer from pigeon or some bird's crap. Hehe
They were prominently in the news back in the late 80s because of the fact that the island was shrinking and that they were looking to invest their wealth overseas. I wonder what's the latest with that republic. I don't even know if they're still part owners of that building.
We had a group lunch at the Schwarzwalder one time. The Partner in charge made the mistake of letting everyone pick his/her desired dish. Needless to say that we were all amused to see the shocked expression on his face once he saw the bill. :D
RJ,
Na-realize ko lang na namiss ko siya when I flew back recently. Although chaotic pa rin ang traffic situation, I couldn't help but be impressed with a number of the changes I saw.
And okay pa rin ang mga chibugan. Hehe
Liquid,
Thanks. This city has served as the country's premier business district since the 1970s. The Philippine Stock Exchange is there and a lot of the country's top corporations maintain their headquarters there.
I guess you could say that it's the Philippine New York City. I hope you'll have the chance to visit it some time.
O you went home pala, how was the weather? (that's m first concern followed by traffic...hehe)
I love going to Makati, for me its one of the cleanest city in the Metro =)
About the chibugan, I am updated somehow as two of m online buddies blog about them (aside from Luna) try mo visit Life is Short (Dagul) and Mad about food (Joy) nasa link sa www.kitchenmaus.blogspot.com...plug ba... lol. WB!!!
napadaan lang pre. ako din nagwork sa makati bale dun sa allied bank building tapos dun sa atrium.
Mirage2g,
Yeah, I did. One week lang. :D
The weather was a mix between dry and humid. It rained quite a bit but the good thing was that it only rained over night, often between 2 to 5 a.m. Thus, I was still able to go out during the day.
Traffic is still awful especially during rush hours in the morning and in the evening.
But overall, I still enjoyed my stay. :) Uuwi ba kayo?
Madbong,
At Allied Bank, malapit ka pala sa dati kong naging opisina sa Dela Rosa. Naaalala ko rin iyong Chinese restaurant at the ground floor ng Allied Bank building, sa may bandang likod. Fortune Palace yata ang pangalan noon pero hindi na ako sigurado. All I can remember is that they had this big aquarium sa may entrance.
Sa Atrium naman, I used to go there to meet with BIR personnel.
Maraming salamat for the visit. Balik ka ulit anytime! :)
I worked in a couple of companies in Makati too, one on Ayala ave close to the old Makati Commercial Center, Frankly, I couldn't drive in Manila anymore. It has changed so much plus the fact that there are not a lot of street signs and if there is, it is invisible at night.
Hope you had a great time with your mini-vacation :)
what really struck me were the fastfood chains and restos on the ground floor of buildings along Ayala Avenue. dati opisina lang lahat yun. :)
pero promdi pa rin ako when it comes to Makati, never mind that our head office is on Paseo. i seldom go to the head office and Makati still puzzles me... (kyusi ang alam ko, hehehe)
oh you're in town?
ah, it'ss nice to see this part. the bank i worked for is along ayala.
Ang alam kong Makati yung may Rizal Theatre pa in the corner of Paseo and Makati Ave. Kaya kandaligaw-ligaw ako if I ever went there.
I used to know it like the palm of my hand when I'm still studying in I/ACT sa likod nang SGV bldg.
i used to work in pacific star (i know you know :D). anyway, i think the republic of nauru still holds office in there.
pacific star meant au bon pain. sayang, they closed shop.
Hey, kapitbahay tayo! My school used to stand in Dela Rosa. I remember one time, they were building a skyscraper condo right beside it and the road between my school and the construction collapsed beneath our feet. It was so scary.
I love Makati too... despite all the traffic. But I love the malls, the restos, and all the cool places to go to.
Oy, you're in town pala! I hope you'd enjoy your vacation.:)
I love Makati...been living here for more than 20 years. Most of my working life was spent in Makati until our office transferred to Ortigas 9 years ago. Ibang-iba na ang Greenbelt and the Makati Commercial Center of the 80's. Incidentally, Makati celebrated it's 338th foundation day yesterday, June 1st.
I would love to go home. but hubby doesnt want to, he booked us for a vacation but not Pinas =(
Bitin naman 1 week hihi.
BW,
There were indeed moments when I felt like going for a drive. The problem is I wasn't willing to take the risk. My driving skills aren't as sharp as they once were when I was still driving in Manila. As far as street signs, I think they're a lot better these days. A number of streets in Manila had signs that were lit similar to the ones I saw in California.
But even though I was tempted to drive, I didn't do so for the risks outweighed the benefits.
Miki,
That was one of the biggest changes I saw too, the presence of eateries and restaurants on the ground floors of office buildings. Each office building seems to have them now.
It's really quite easy to get lost around Makati. I firmly believe that Ayala's developers should have adopted the grid system not only to make traffic flow a lot easier but also to make it easier for people to make their way around the area. The curving and narrow streets tend to contribute to confusion and traffic snarls.
Ipanema,
Yes, I was in town last week for a short visit. My office used to be in Dela Rosa and the other company I worked for was on Amorsolo street near the Makati Cinema Square. :)
Blogusvox,
Rizal Theater was a pretty building. Unfortunately, they had to demolish it to give way to the Shangrila Hotel.
I'm not sure if I/ACT is still around. I don't think it exists anymore.
Mari,
Yeah, it's been a while since I've been to the Pacific Star. I think the last time I was there was last Friday morning. Hehehe :D
Anyway, the loss of Au Bon Pain was more than made up for by the presence of Chow King. Their breakfast was superb. I also liked the Halo-Halo which we, este, I had at their Padre Faura branch. :)
Toe,
Wow. Oo nga, neighbors nga tayo although I was no longer around at the time of the collapse that you mentioned. I was there when the big earthquake of 1990 took place though. That was a bit scary when all the buildings shook.
Makati has a pretty nice set-up going for it. It's become a self-contained community especially for people who reside in condos. There are many restaurants, theaters, and supermarkets to go to, a lot of them within walking distance. Pretty cool. :)
Luna Miranda,
Yes, I was in town last week for a short visit. Too short though in my opinion. I hope to stay longer next time. :)
Our family has had a presence in Makati since the 1930s. I still have cousins who live in the area. I make it a point to stay within Makati whenever I'm in town. It's just so convenient to meet up with friends or go to restaurants or the movies. I love it.
There have indeed been a lot of changes, most of them positive. I love what they've done to the Greenbelt complex. I love the pedestrian underpasses and the covered walkways.
Unfortunately, the awful traffic situation is something we can't really do much about because it's the price of progress. Makati's traffic cops try to manage the situation the best way they can and for the most part, their system works.
Mirage2g,
Bitin na bitin talaga ang 1 week. Even 2 weeks is still bitin. I wish I could stay much longer but my present circumstances prevent me from doing so.
Sabihan mo ang hubby mo na magbakasyon kayo sa Pinas kahit 2 weeks man lang para naman maraming makakurot sa pisngi ng bunso mo. Hehehe :D
miss na miss na miss ko na ang pinas. hay! =(
nice blog you got here. mapapadalas yata ako. =)
ex-link?
Goddess,
Thank you for the compliment. Matagal ka nang hindi nakakauwi ng 'Pinas?
Thanks for the visit and sure, let's exchange links. Thanks. :)
When I was a kid spending summer vacations in Manila with my grandma, we'd go to Makati almost everyday - Makati Supermarket, Maranaw shopping center in what is now Landmark, we'd play bowling at the only "automatic" bowling lanes in the country (Coronado Lanes) or watch movie at Rizal Theater (I believe it's now the Makati Shangrila) and make sure to eat pizza at Leila's.
Makati is soo different now but for my siblings and me, it's still the place to go to even if my grandma's house is practically across the Mall of Asia.
Bugsybee,
Thanks for mentioning Maranaw. I totally forgot about it. I remember its old spot but I never got to go there when it was still around. I bowled at Coronado with my friends back in the late 80s/early 90s. That place is gone too and I think it's now part of Greenbelt 2.
The area practically went through a major facelift. The difference is like night and day.
Through such improvements, Ayala basically assured that Makati will remain relevant as a CBD for many years to come.
i always wanted work in a corporate place, with a tie and suit and a briefcase, and be called a yuppie. And have my own desk, with a view of the city from 40 floors above, glass doors and all. And go to bars and party every night especially during payday. Of course, that never came to be.
and i also wanted to be a window cleaner of the tall buildings.
Duke,
What happened? :) The tie and suit are not the fun parts of working in a corporate environment. I personally prefer the business casual attire for it is more comfortable.
Btw, woe to the guy who came up with the idea that men should wear ties. :D
Speaking of window cleaners, I didn't see a lot of that in Makati.
Post a Comment