Monday, June 9, 2008

Of Terms of Endearment and Steamed Buns

As a sign of affection, we often hear couples use words like "Sweetheart", "Love", "Honey", "Baby", and "Darling" when they lovingly call out to each other. Among married couples, I've observed a lot of instances where the wife called the husband "Papa" or "Hubby" and where the husband addressed his wife as "Mama".

The above are some of the examples of the terms of endearment that couples and lovers use. Most of these terms, as you may very well have observed, have favorable associations with sweetness or the nature of the relationship.

But there are instances when some couples veer away from such conventions. They decide to use terms that are unique to them and their relationship. In a lot of ways, the term used is akin to an insiders' joke, something that only the two of them can relate to.

I know of this couple where the woman decided to focus on the man's facial cheeks as basis for coming up with her own term of endearment. You see, the guy's cheeks are of the "pinchably" chubby type. The reasons for it are not only weight-related but also genetic. Quite a number of his family members share the same physical "problem". Hehe

As a result, the woman has resorted to using the term "Siopao" (pronounced Shaw-pow) as her term of endearment for her dear boyfriend. Siopao, for the benefit of non-Filipino readers, is the Filipino version of the Chinese steamed bun. It is a popular food item in the Philippines for it does not require utensils to eat and can be consumed on-the-go. There are several stuffing varieties to the Siopao that use pork, chicken, beef, shrimp, eggs, and possibly chopped scallions and water chestnuts.

Anyway, whenever they're together, the woman pinches the guy's cheeks whenever she gets a chance. For some reason, she absolutely loves to see them turn red or rosy. With her thumb and index finger, she would often grab a rather sizeable portion of his cheek and pinch it. But whenever she pinches it, she doesn't do it for only one or two seconds. No. The pinch is not complete until she has done several rapid left-to-right-and-back movements that sort of create a ripple effect on the rest of the poor man's face. According to the him, the "torture" could last for a pretty good amount of time.

However, in spite of all the pain, he continues to care for her deeply and doesn't really seem to mind the term of endearment she picked for him. After all, substance should always matter over form, right? Plus, it was a term reserved for their private moments and thus should be ok, right?

Well, not quite. There were a couple of instances a couple of weeks ago when the woman kind of "forgot" where the couple were.

First instance was one weekday morning when the man decided to pick the woman up after work. He called her at work and they decided to meet at a Starbucks near her office. A few minutes before their scheduled rendezvous, the man arrived at the Starbucks and, after smiling to greet the security guard that stood nearby, took his place in one of the five or six tables that were set up right outside the coffee shop.

So there he sat whiling away the time and watching the passersby when a few moments later, and in a voice that was clearly heard by everyone around them, the woman came out of her office building and called out to him, "Halika na, Siopao!" ("Let's go, Siopao!")

Upon hearing that, the man quickly lowered his head, picked up his stuff, stood up and quickly walked away with the woman. He never bothered to look back to see how the security guard and the rest of the coffee shop's patrons reacted to his girlfriend's call for he was certain that they must have been all laughing at him upon hearing his bun-inspired nickname.

The second instance took place two days later in close quarters: aboard a jeepney. After having a nice breakfast at Chow King, the couple decided to go to Kopiroti to grab a few of the store's famed roti bread. Since the store wasn't too far from where they were, they decided to take a jeepney.

The woman hailed a jeepney and once one pulled to a stop, she and the man proceeded to board it. As they got in, they noticed that there were only two seats available and each were across from the other.

The woman boarded first and picked the seat on the left. As she was about to sit, she turned to her boyfriend and once again, in a voice loud enough to be heard by everyone onboard, said, "Diyan ka na maupo, Siopao!" ("Take that seat right there, Siopao!") while pointing to the last empty seat across from her.

The man quickly took his seat and, in almost a repeat of what happened a couple of days earlier, spent most of the ride with his head bowed, steadfastly refusing to make eye contact with any of the other passengers. In the moments that he did look up, he made sure not to direct his gaze at any of the other passengers who were probably either smiling or laughing at him now that they had become aware of his nickname. Luckily for him, the jeepney ride was a short one.

The morale of the story is simply this. Coming up with your own terms of endearment is fine. Depending on what they are, be mindful of where and how you use them so as not to put yourselves in an embarrassing situation.

(Definitions and photo source: Wikipedia)

68 responses:

ipanema said...

lol...i think that's a good advice. i can just imagine his embarassment. :)

Anonymous said...

maybe he should return the favor and call his lover "bola bola" ..jowk.

Anonymous said...

sorry... siopao! :D

which reminds me, the siopao at emerald garden was really filling. balik tayo dun.

Unknown said...

is that embarrassing? i think it's sweet.:D people don't really mind when they hear such names especially when spoken with love and affection. i have a friend who calls her hubby "panget" when she's naglalambing. her hubby doesn't mind...he even winked at me when his wife called him "panget" and said to me, "may kailangan 'tong amiga mo." :D

Panaderos said...

Ipanema,

Yes, he was pretty embarrassed. :) Unfortunately, the jeepney offered no quick escape and thus, he had to sit and bear the whole thing out. Hehe

Panaderos said...

Paolo,

Hahaha I don't know. I don't think she'll appreciate being called bola-bola. She already gave him a hard time once when he made a comment about a certain picture of her with a kid. :)

Panaderos said...

Mari,

That's ok. It's a good thing that I don't stay in Makati full time. Otherwise, there is a high probability that those people would run into me, este, him pala again.

Yes, Emerald Garden for lunch and Chow King at Padre Faura for dessert. :D

Panaderos said...

Luna Miranda,

Ano kaya iyong kailangan niya? Hehehe :D

It's ok. I, este, he pala, is getting used to it na. :D He doesn't have much of a choice. :)

Liquid said...

Oh my! I will be careful next go round. Very!

:)

 gmirage said...

Sabi na nga ba this should have been written in the first person eh...=D

About the siopap, there was a black propaganda spreading among us children back then, we were told that the flesh inside the bun was dead cat meat! That whenever jeepneys and tricycles hit and run cats, people around the area would make siopao out of them lol! Guess that's one reason I never liked it as a kid, but now, I miss eating it lol.

Its ok to have a term of endearment I guess, I envy you...err him pala...My husband never calls me anything special except he calls me by my full name, when he's angry lol...

Panaderos said...

Liquid,

Yes, please be very careful. Hahaha

Panaderos said...

Mirage2g,

Siyempre pa-epek iyong 3rd person. :D

Yeah, I heard that black propaganda too. Too bad that quite a number of people bought into it. Turned out to be untrue years later.

Well, I guess that is a gauge for a lot of people that when a partner calls you by your real name that means that something's wrong. Hehehe

RJ said...

hmmm.. naalala ko tuloy ang siopao, sarap! hehehe. cute naman ang siopao ah, may kilala pa nga akong babae na ang tawag sa boyfriend nya ay biik. hehehe.

escape said...

"siopao" hahaha... what a term of endearment? but again it shows that they've maintained good relationship. sometimes the use of the term of endearment also reflects their relationship.

"The pinch is not complete until she has done several rapid left-to-right-and-back movements that sort of create a ripple effect on the rest of the poor man's face.">>>> i can't imagine someone doing this to me everyday. hehehe....

Jet said...

palitan na lang NIYA (tongue in cheek... :D) nickname niya. try ours... 'mylab,' with a very long 'a' as in 'mylaaaaaaab.' there's no way you can't respond to that with equal sweetness, every time. take it from me. ;)

Photo Cache said...

Oh my, I hope that the man doesn't think it's embarrasing. Thought it was sweet, don't you?

Anyway, I cant remember the last time my husband called me by my first name. Even when we were still dating he would not call me by my first time no matter where we are. I like that! (But of course, he calls me babe and hon, so no harm!)

Kidding aside, I think we should be more careful with what we call our honeybuns in private, it might slip our tongue when in public places.

Great post.

Panaderos said...

RJ,

Cute ba? O sige na nga, sasabihin ko sa kaibigan ko na ok lang ang palayaw na "Siopao". :D

Panaderos said...

Dong,

They do have a very good relationship and that's why the guy is willing to subject himself to such torture. In the true Christian tradition, he is willing to bear the pain for the sake of a greater good. :D

Panaderos said...

Jet,

Binanggit ko iyang suggestion mo sa... este... binanggit pala ng friend ko ang suggestion mo sa bossing niya. Medyo nagtampo yata iyong girl. Gusto raw ng girl eh Siopao pa rin at bahala raw ako, este, siya (iyong guy) kung gusto niyang palitan. So mukhang nakuha ng guy iyong hint. :D

Panaderos said...

Photo Cache,

Like you, I only hear her say my name when she's irritated or exasperated with me. Other than those moments, it's Siopao all the way.

(I think I should have written that in the 3rd person.)

Unknown said...

"the pinch is not complete until she has done several rapid left-to-right-and-back movements that sort of create a ripple effect on the rest of the poor man's face" - In short... nanggigigil sa mukha. But I bet those pinches were followed up by several kisses naman, haha. :-D

@Mari> So you've tried my suggestion to try the siopao at Emerald Gardens na pala... :-D

Panaderos said...

Rudy,

Buti na lang nga they were followed by kisses. They sure made up for all the pain I suffered. Hahaha :D

Yes, Pards, we did go to Emerald Garden. I showed her where both Emeralds where because one was for fine dining and one was for dimsum. And afterwards, I also followed your halo-halo recommendation. We walked back to Padre Faura, to a Chow King branch there and that's where we both had their halo-halo. I was very satisfied, to say the least. :)

Thanks for the recommendations, Pards. Let me know when you're coming to my neck of the woods and I'll gladly drive you around. :D

ScroochChronicles said...

Hi!! Here via Senor Enriques blog. Nice site you have here.

So is this your story? Its cute!! I use "siopao" too..for my kids. They happen to have the same facial feature which I love to squish..not pinch.

Me naman my hubs calls me Bella. For Bella Flores..go figure :D

Anonymous said...

This post reminds me of our neighbor. They call each other "love". But when they fight, it's really funny. They shouted at each other for everybody to hear as in, "P*T*NG INA MO LOVE".

BTW, if anybody's asking if siopaw contains feline meat, the answer is yes. Especially one that's made by Chinese. It's a speciality to them.

Mec said...

siopao at mr. choi is also great!!!!!!! and feel free to tell Siopao to call his gf Longganisa :D

and my mom calls my dad señor while he calls her doña... :)

vonskiea said...

yayyy ang sagwa naman ng siopao :)
lalo pag nasa public. cguro ako mismo i would find it embarrassing to call my partner with that name :)

zherwin said...

was that the reason why your pseudonym is panaderos? para me kinalaman sa tinapay? hehehe.

sanayan lang naman yan di ba? :D

Unknown said...

Blogusvox> Eherm... I'm Chinese (or Tsinoy if you prefer) and as far as I know, Cats have never been a specialty to us nor have I known anyone in our community who savors feline meat. SO please get your facts straight, statements like that are not only misleading, but insulting as well.

Stories of cat meat being part of the ingredients in hot buns have been around for as long as there have been siopaos in these islands, it has since taken a life of its own and have been passed from one generation to another. In short, it's an urban myth, the same as that White Lady of Balete drive...

Anonymous said...

Rudy, In the 80's if you have been to Letran College in Intramuros, there's a restaurant beside it owned by a Chinese family. If you go at the back, they have caged cats which they used on you know what. It tastes like chicken. I have my facts straight.

Not only that, I've been to China and they have restaurants there that looks like a zoo. You point at a live animal (including felines) and they'll cook it for you and it taste good.

Anonymous said...

I'm not trying to disparage anybody. All I'm trying to do is share what I know and my experiences.

If some how I offended anyone, my apologies. My intention is far from that. But I won't retract statements I made and experienced first hand.

Unknown said...

Blogusvox> Sorry, during the early early 80s I was in Adamson U and seldom passed by the walled city, so I wouldn't know about that restaurant. Maybe I could ask my friends who went to Mapua to confirm this...

Anyways, it's a known fact that anything that walks, crawls, fliy or slither is fair game in many parts of China, but that doesn't mean cats (and other endangered species) are a staple in the Chinese diet like chicken and pork.

Maybe it's a specialty, or a delicacy for some, like a balut is to a Pinoy. But then, not all Pinoys have the stomach for it.

I'm sure it wasn't your intention to offend anyone, but please be a little specific and avoid generalization.

rolly said...

It's a good thing my wife just calls me papa. I won't be amused had I been called siopao in public, especially when I was as fat as a pig. hehe

Panaderos said...

Scroochchronicles,

Siopao-ish din pala ang mga kids mo. Hehehe Bakit naman Bella Flores ang tawag sa iyo ng hubby mo??? I hope it's not because of the "kontrabida" roles she played.

Thank you very much for the compliment and thanks for the visit. Much appreciated. :)

Panaderos said...

Blogusvox,

Hahaha At least, kahit nagmumurahan na sila eh nagmamahalan pa rin sila. Hindi sila nakakalimot. Hehe :D

Panaderos said...

Mec,

I'll keep Mr. Choi in mind the next time I'm in town. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

About calling the gf longganisa, I'll ask her if that's ok. Baka kasi bumaba ang grade ko sa kanya pag sinubukan ko nang walang paalam eh. :D

I like the way your parents call each other. Ok iyon, ha. Sosyal ang dating! :)

Panaderos said...

Yvonne,

I console myself with the fact na those people won't be seeing me a lot in Makati. Hehe I'm hoping na the next time they do see me either at Starbucks or on a jeepney eh malilimutan na nila na iyong ang tawag sa akin. Hehe :D

Panaderos said...

Zherwin,

Kumusta na, Pards? The pseudonym I use really has nothing to do with bread.

"Penny Lane" and "Strawberry Fields" are to the Beatles as "Panaderos" is to me.

Lastly, you're right. Sanayan lang iyan. Nasasanay na ko. I'm in the "acceptance" phase na. Hehe

Panaderos said...

Rolly,

Hahaha Hindi nga amusing pag ganoon. :)

As for me, I'm not as fat as a pig naman. Not yet, anyway. Kaya naman, may self-esteem pa akong natitira to deal with the term she uses. Hehehe

I have to shed some pounds though per the advice of my doctor when I met with him last week. :(

 gmirage said...

WHat? totoo ang siopao filed with cat meat? I picked up some stuff from the comments that made me think real hard...lol...

Scroochchronicles: I hope its not because of the hair and the moles lol...Peace!

Panaderos said...

Mirage2g,

It seems that there are indeed cases of cat meat being mixed with siopao. However, from what Blogusvox wrote, such cases seem to be very few and far between.

I do not believe that the Chinese retaurants that you and I normally frequent would have cat meat mixed with their siopaos. I would even venture so far as to say that the probability of consuming one in any of the restaurants, even in Binondo, is close to nil, if not nil. Thus, I don't think there's really anything for us to worry about.

Keith said...

I remember those and these pork dim sum were the snack foods I found at chinese kiosks in the philippine airports. In fact Siopao was the last food I had on Philippine soil. I nevewr had a woman call me that. But, should it happen, I will remain dignified

Keith said...

Panaderos, the lady I have eyes for only speaks english and Bahasa Indonesia... No doubt she is quite capable of finding an Indonesian equivalent. I think terms of endearment can challenge the sensibilities of anybody- recipients as well as bystanders .

Anonymous said...

Well, at least 'siopao' is better than 'monay'. LOL.

Anonymous said...

LOL. I have a friend whose husband calls her "Tambok". In our dialect, this means fat (she is fat!) and for us, it's kinda endearing and funny. But this is embarrassing somewhere else because it refers to a part of the human anatomy that we'd rather not mention in public. :)

Keith said...

Tambok.... my past gf called me that. I believe it was Bisaya. She commented on my belly, mostly

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the lady is just being "manhid" with her man's feeling, otherwise she would have felt the embarassment she brought to the poor guy. tsk..tsk..

ALiNe said...

Parang ang Detailed story... ikaw ba yan? ;)

Unknown said...

probably shopping money!:D

i was tagged to play a meme, and i'm tagging you. i hope you'll enjoy playing it 'coz we'd love to hear more about siopao.:D

Panaderos said...

Keith,

LOL on "Tambok". I hope you've made some progress on the belly since then. :)

It is true that terms of endearment can challenge sensibilities. A couple may get so used to a particular term that they tend to forget or take for granted that it could be quite offensive to some people outside of the relationship.

Panaderos said...

Technofied,

You're right about that. Hehehe :)

Thanks for the visit.

Panaderos said...

Bugsybee,

LOL. That is true. :D It might lead to some false hopes or expectations among some listeners. Hehehe

Panaderos said...

Points of View,

No, I don't think she was being manhid. It was a term of affection she had gotten so used to using that she just forgot where they were during those moments. :)

Panaderos said...

Aline,

No comment. Hehehe :D

Panaderos said...

Luna Miranda,

Ok, I'll check it out. Thanks. :)

Abaniko said...

This reminds me of our Charades game a long time ago - when I was still chubbier. We were acting out foods: spaghetti, balot, lechon kawali, etc. When it was my turn, I had to act out "siopao". I only pointed to my face and one already shouted siopao! It was only a matter of one second. Ambilis, no? Hehe.

Panaderos said...

Abaniko,

See? At least your Siopaoness led you to victory! Hahaha

I have to work on reducing my siopaoness. Doctor's orders. :)

Anonymous said...

Funny... I guess we can use any term of endearment between our soulmate...sometimes it can be naughty.. as long as no one hears it hehe :)

Panaderos said...

BW,

So true. "As long as no one hears it" is the key. Hahaha :D

Anonymous said...

HE should be thankful only his cheeks are being described. I know some ladies who use nicknames based on more private body parts that would get me blacklisted on Panaderos' blog if I mentioned them here, hehe... And yes, some of these ladies have publicly used these nicknames for their men, haha!

Panaderos said...

MegaMom,

Hahaha Don't worry. I don't blacklist anyone simply for using terms that are considered by some as "risque" or appropriate only for mature audiences.

I will consider blacklisting a person if he/she engages in disagreeable behavior when dealing with myself or with the other readers. Aside from that, everyone's free to be themselves here. :)

So having said of all the above, what are those other nicknames??? Hahaha Have a great weekend! :)

Anonymous said...

haha! i somehow found myself in your blog and can't help but make a comment. i actually have a friend who calls her husband mooncake. she says it sounds classier than siopao. =)

Panaderos said...

Glenville,

Actual mooncake tastes good too. :) Hahaha

Thanks for the visit. :)

ysrael said...

Naaliw ako sa pagbabasa ng mga comments hindi ko na tuloy alam kung ano talaga ang isyu. Well whatever they said about Cninese food ito pa rin ang favorites ko. Siopao, siomai, tokwa, tofu, taho, chaopan, kikiam, chop suey, mahjong?

Panaderos said...

Ysrael,

Ok rin ang mahjong! Hahaha Except for mahjong na hindi ko natutunang laruin, gusto ko rin lahat iyong mga Chinese food na nilista mo, lalo na ang siomai! :D

Sheryl said...

The daughter of my officemate has a boyfriend, and she calls him "pao", short for siopao din. Kala ko Paulo nung una ang name ng guy, pero siopao pala ang palayaw, kasi chubby cheeks siya.. Maybe your girl can consider using this?

Panaderos said...

She-anne,

Hahaha Ok iyang "Pao" ha. LOL I'll mention it to her. :)

Thanks for the visit. Much appreciated. :)

Toe said...

Hahaha... buti hindi puto or kutsinta or calamay or turon. :)

Hmmm... making me hungry! :)

Panaderos said...

Toe,

Hahaha Oo nga 'no? Baka kasi mas malaki pa rin ang pisngi ko kaysa sa mga food items na nabanggit mo. Hehehe :D