The song featured in this post was originally written as a tribute to a place of great natural wonder in Aspen, Colorado. "Rocky Mountain High" was performed by John Denver and it's a song which he co-wrote with Mike Taylor. The song was released and became a Top 10 Hit back in 1973. I remember as a kid, that I had enjoyed listening to this song even though the words didn't really make much sense to me at the time.
It was years later when I "rediscovered" this song. Even though its words spoke of deep affection for mountains, for some reason I found strength and inspiration in them while in the midst of making a life-changing decision.
Aside from economic reasons, I needed a profound change in my life and a defining one at that. From a professional standpoint, I felt there were constraints that prevented me from delving into areas I had technical expertise in but could not practice in my country. On the personal side, I wanted to prove something to myself and I wanted to start anew in a place where nobody knew me, where my academic background, especially the college I came from, didn't matter much. In short, I wanted to see how far everything I've learned would take me.
He was born in the summer of his 27th year
Comin' home to a place he'd never been before
He left yesterday behind him, you might say he was born again
You might say he found a key for every door
When he first came to the mountains his life was far away
On the road and hangin' by a song
But the string's already broken and he doesn't really care
It keeps changin' fast and it don't last for long
It was at that age when I made the difficult decision to pull my stakes up and try my luck in the States. I gave myself six months to see if things would work out for me. I promised my parents that if the six months ended without my finding a job, that I would immediately head for home. I told them that they did not even have to remind me to come home. Should I fail to land a job, I promised them that I will board the first flight home on the exact day the six-month period would end. That was the deal.
I landed in the States in early December and stayed with an uncle while I looked for a job. But it was the Holiday season, not really a good time for jobhunting since a lot of people were in a holiday mood. Plus, most of the companies were busy with their yearend wrap-up activities. So I hunkered down and prepared for myself for the possibility that it may take me at least two or three months to land my first interview. But still, I looked through the classified ads of any newspaper I could get my hands on, even ones I saw that were left on a bus seat, at a supermarket, or on a park bench.
My uncle didn't have a computer at home and thus I ended up using his office computer on weekends. The internet was then at its infancy and thus, all job applications were mailed through the post office. My first job interview came a month later in January.
Although I was a little nervous prior to the interview, I felt that my work experience and skills satisfied all the ad's published requirements for the job. That first interview was followed by two more rounds of interviews with the same company. Within a week, I got offered and accepted a job with the first company I interviewed with. The rest, as they say, is personal history.
I will be one of the first to admit that I'm not the sharpest tack in the box. In fact, I could be quite dense at times. However, if there's anything I can share with people who are planning to try their luck overseas it is this: a very good work ethic will always be appreciated anywhere you go in the world. We may trip or fall from time to time but whenever we do, we should always try our best to pick ourselves up, brush the dust off, and keep going.
And the Colorado rocky mountain high
I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky
You can talk to God and listen to the casual reply
Rocky mountain high
Just a few notes on the video. It was from the Tonight Show in 1973, back in the day when the late Johnny Carson, Jay Leno's predecessor, hosted the show. John Denver's performance on the show was live and the video also shows Mr. Carson's interview of Mr. Denver afterwards where the latter talked about what inspired him to write the song.
The video shows a young John Denver. He projected innocence and a youthful naivete during the interview, still awed with his success and expressed pride that his parents were able to watch him perform at New York's famed Carnegie Hall. He went on to enjoy many years of success as a recording artist scoring hits such as "Sunshine On My Shoulders", "Take Me Home, Country Roads", and "Annie's Song". He even went to the Philippines for a series of concerts back in the early 1980s. Yours truly even saw him perform on the noontime program "Eat Bulaga".
Unfortunately, Messrs. Carson and Denver are no longer with us. John Denver died in a plane crash in California back in 1997 while Johnny Carson died from natural causes in 2005.



34 responses:
Yeah, I love John Dusseldorf, AKA John Denver and his songs too. His songs were one of the few whose guitar chords I've memorized.
Galing mo naman, first job interview kuha kaagad...
--- Rudy AKA Snglguy ---
In my youth, walang hinde nakakakilala kay John Denver. His musics are staple sa mga kumpolan nang barkada. Not only his lyrics inspiring but the chords are easy to learn (parang America).
happy fathers day pards! =D
I learned to play the guitar with John Denver songs. Used to save half my allowance everyday so that at the end of the month I could buy a copy of Jingle and learn the chords to his songs. An aunt who was sympathetic bought me a copy (33 rpm) of his Greatest Hits album. Two of my contributions to the elementary school graduation mass songs were John Denver-inspired. *sigh*
Rudy,
What happened to you? Why are you all of a sudden cloaked in anonymity? :D
It was just a combination of good preparation and luck. I would not have gotten the job if there was no element of luck present too. Thanks for the compliment.
Blogusvox,
Puwede rin pala akong magpaturo ng pag-gitara sa iyo. :D I now have two possible tutors. Hehehe
John Denver's songs were fun to sing and yet were very meaningful too. It was indeed fun to gather around a friend who played the guitar and sing John Denver songs. I did that too with my barkada when I was in high school and college. :)
RJ,
Thanks. :D
Bambit,
Too bad Jingle's no longer around. The song hits were very good and the magazines featured articles written by Filipino music critics. Many people learned to play the popular songs of the day thanks to the guitar chords the folks at Jingle published.
I had the chance to watch John Denver in concert when we were still living in Singapore. It was a nostalgic moment because I grew up listening to his songs. :)
I like how you incorporated the song with your first foray in the land of milk and honey. Nice post!
Daphne,
Thank you. I appreciate the compliment. :)
it was my first time to see someone promoting an album with a plaka. hahaha... kakatuwa. my dad also likes john denver.
i love the music of john denver.
thanks for sharing. somehow it depicts a real-life dilemma.
"We may trip or fall from time to time but whenever we do, we should always try our best to pick ourselves up, brush the dust off, and keep going." well said. in any endeavor, a bit of luck and plenty of hard work always pay off.
The Dong,
That's how it was in the days before the CD. Hahaha But the CD is well on it's way to going the way of the LP too. :)
Nyl,
Thanks. It was a tough decision for me. I hated the thought of leaving family, relatives, and friends. The thought still saddens me though.
Mari,
Hard work amounts to nothing too if we don't have the right priorities in life. Hard work needs to have a purpose and the purpose ought to be bigger than us.
still got several cds as well as dvds (i.e the wildlife concert) of john denver. i stil can play most of his songs in the guitar.
Mitsuru,
Good for you, Pards! How I wish I can play a guitar so that I could play a lot of the songs I love and enjoy listening to. :)
Well, everything is now history and aren't you glad everything worked out for you? I hope things continue to be roses and apples for you. (meron bang ganung idiomatic expression?)
I knew several John Denver songs before.
Rolly,
Hahaha Ok lang iyong expression. What matters is the message naman eh. :)
Maraming salamat.
there was only 1 John Denver song that I made myself very familiar with-- Perhaps Love. Hahahaha. To be young and silly.
Fence,
I remember that song. :) If I remember right it came out in the early 80s when his songs turned more mellow and took on a more somber tone. Just my opinion though.
A classic folk-rock...from the lyrics of his songs and his involvement with various environmental and wildlife groups, John Denver was a true nature lover. I love Annie's Song...it's also my aunt's wedding song.:)
Luna Miranda,
I love Annie's Song too. It will be the subject of a future blog entry. Hehe :D
Superb!
ohooo. now i am nostalgic. :) this post made me smile, thank you for letting us take a peep at one of your most barefooted journey. :)
this is like reading a life story with a background music. very nice. and i'm proud of what you've accomplished.
did john denver sing ...ah i forget the title, but the song goes like this ..."if i had only one friend left, i want it to be you"
got your post from duke's blogsite
Liquid,
Thanks. I appreciate it. :)
Tinay,
You're welcome. Kumusta na? Sometimes we do have to take some risks in life to get what we want. We need to have faith in ourselves, in what we can do and in what we can contribute.
Rheiboy17,
Thank you. :)
I'm not sure if John Denver sang the song you quoted. Nice words though.
Thanks for the visit. :)
A good account of your personal and professional endeavor bro :)
John Denver has his own place in history with his sytle of music that tells the story of rural America. He would have normally been confined to Nashville but he emerged and became a bit hit all over the world - a huge testimony to his talent:)
BW,
Thank you very much, Pards. :)
I share your views on John Denver. His talents were such that he was able to cross over from country music to the mainstream and enjoyed years of success afterwards. Too bad he died too young.
I like the tack metaphor, haha (you got that from your mom, right? i read your previous post).
Never mind the sharpest tacks. Nobody likes them, because they tend to be pricks, harhar!
Great story about your move. I think many people can relate.
MegaMom,
Thanks for all the compliments. :)
Post a Comment