Sunday, July 13, 2008

"Damdamin"

If I'm going to write about my first Original Pilipino Music (OPM) blog entry, then let it be about a song performed by the great Rico J. Puno, the "Total Entertainer" himself.

Rico J. Puno's songs dominated the airwaves during the 1970s and this particular song was no exception. This song, "Damdamin" ("Feelings"), penned by Joseph Abando and Baby A. Gil, was a single from the "Tatak Rico J" album and became a hit for Rico Puno in 1978.

The song was typical of many of Rico's songs for its words struck a chord with many of the song's listeners. This particular song spoke of unrequited love, a love that never came to be because both parties denied what they truly felt for each other. I'm writing about it because I count it as one of my personal favorites.

This is how the song went and below it, I'm also including its lyrics for your reference:


Kahit ako'y 'di mo ngayon pinapansin,
Nakatanaw man sa iba ang paningin;
Kailan ma'y huwag akalain na aking daramdamin
Ang pag-ibig ko ay nililihim ko rin.

Kahit tuwina'y aking napapangarap ka,
At alam kong gayon ka rin sa 'kin sinta;
Kailan ma'y 'di sasabihin na minamahal din kita
'Pagkat lihim din ang damdamin ko.

At kung tayo'y 'di na muli pang magkita,
Kapwa tayo malulungkot na dalawa;
At duo'y sisihin damdaming sinungaling
Na 'di nagsabing mahal din kita.

At duo'y sisihin damdaming sinungaling
Na 'di nagsabing mahal din kita.


On a personal level, although I liked the song when it first came out, I was way too young to appreciate its message. The words didn't really leave an impression until years later when I myself had to deal with the pain of a lost love. However, unlike the song, it wasn't an unrequited love for this girl M and I were an item for a little over a year.

We both knew from the very beginning that it was a love that was bound to end sooner or later because by going out with me, she had defied her family's wishes. M came from a traditional Chinese family and in many of those families, falling for a non-Chinese person was not looked upon with approval. As for me, although my family wasn't as conservative as hers, my mom was also a product of her time and had some anti-Chinese attitudes as well. I had no such problem with my father. None of our parents knew about us. But even then, when the end eventually came, it still hurt.

M's married now and to a gentleman her parents obviously approved of. When I flew home to Manila last year to attend to some family matters, my college classmates hosted a mini-reunion in my honor. I saw her at the event and was surprised to learn that she was the one who organized it. I also found out later from my parents that she had tried to reach me at home while I was out. Of course, my parents were clueless about who she really was.

Although the feelings for her have long gone, the memories remain. And whenever I hear this song played, memories undiminished by the years bring her back. I have moved on with my life and I'm pretty happy where I am at. All I can do is to wish her well with hers and hope that she's happy too. Farewell, M.

46 responses:

Anonymous said...

oh well...
at least you two are happy,
even when you are happy separately
but i think the most important part
is that
you are part of each other
no matter what,
or maybe until
alzheimer's come.

Nyl said...

what else can be more pathetic than losing the one you thought you will be spending your whole life with!

Am sharing this same dilemma with you..mine just got married early December last year. though i hate to have it unearthed, well the song "damdamin" can be every broken heart's story.

part of life..to make us even stronger.

docemdy said...

Damdamin was my song. As a child, I used to sing this all the time, even have a recording of it on cassette tape. Of course, like you, the lyrics meant nothing to me. This is probably why up to now Rico J ranks as one of my favorites.

rolly said...

naalala ko nun nung nagumpisa si Rico Puno. He was a riot in a bar, Spindle ata yun kasi sinasamahan nya ng jokes ang act nya. Then he was asked to record songs and became a hit. Ang inis na inis ako nun yung mga english songs na ita translate nya sa Filipino. Ang pinaka nagustuhan ko naman yung May Bukas Pa.

pamatayhomesick said...

just drop by,first time to comment on this blog,interesting! and amazed!.nalala ko nung time na kasikatan ni rico,madalas maghagis ng suot nya..habang nag concert.:)

atticus said...

nakanaman! haha! madrama.

may isang babaeng teenager na na in love sa isang mama.

kaso, mayaman si lalaki at labandera nila ang nanay ng babae.

hindi iisa ang araw.

iyon lang!

Panaderos said...

Prinsesamusang,

I am happy now and very much so. I hope she's happy too. She was a part of me long ago but I've moved on since. These were just memories triggered by Rico J's song. :)

Panaderos said...

Nyl,

Yes, the feeling was quite pathetic when it happens and it did feel that way for me at the time.

And yes, unfortunately such things are part of life. Although the experience is painful, we hopefully gain strength and lessons from it.

Panaderos said...

Em,

I count this song as my fave too along with "Sorry Na Puede Ba". Those are my two favorite Rico J songs. I like him because he was a very good entertainer. He had great rapport with his audience and he seemed so relaxed when he was onstage. :)

Panaderos said...

Rolly,

You're right. Sa Spindle nga raw nag-umpisa iyang si Rico Puno. Tulad mo, hindi ko rin gaano gusto iyong version niya ng "The Way We Were". Mas gusto ko iyong mga kanta niyang original na Tagalog. Mas maganda sila in my opinion.

Ang galing din niya makipag-interact sa audience. I think such skill also contributed a lot to his popularity.

Panaderos said...

Ever Villacruz,

Talagang pang-superstar ang mga gimmick pala ni Rico sa concerts niya. Sadly, hindi ako nakapanood kahit isa. Sayang.

Maraming salamat sa pagbisita! :)

Panaderos said...

Atticus,

Nag-emote lang nang kaunti. Hehehe

Pero hindi ko yata ma-gets iyong ibang sinabi mo? Based ba sa pelikula iyan? :D

escape said...

ayan at least ok na sya at ok ka na rin. may ganyang experience din ako. until now ok pa rin kami as friends. good friends.

BlogusVox said...

haha.. getting mushy are we? Ako naman naaalala ko yung ex-gf ko pag pinapatugtog ang "Happy Man" nang Chicago.

Huwag sana magawi dito ang misis ko.

Tin said...

im a sucker of such stories :) nostalgia is my favorite past time no matter how painful it can get.

Rico J Puno. I find him wittily sexy :D

Tin said...

btw, that's me from modernpatadyong :D

zherwin said...

gumigiwang ang youtube ko ngayon kaya di ko marecall yung song. but i do remember na meron kaming LP ni rico puno sa bahay (yung merong Ang tao'y marupok) at ngayon, isa sa mga kanta sa magic sing na panlaban ko (a-ha!) kapag nagkakalakasan ay Together Forever hehe.

Unknown said...

what a beautiful song! "Damdamin" pala ang title...i remember a few lines of the song but didn't know the title. bagay sa boses ni Rico J. what made me smile while listening to the song is remembering how my lola hated Rico J.:D

sometimes it's good to reminisce, especially the good times with a long lost love, and Rico J. on the background (hehe). at least you're still friends with M, no bitterness (nax!).

bing said...

one of my favorite rico j's songs! napakaganda though it tells of a sad love story...

you're a romantic, pan.. pansin ko lang. ahihihi

bing

Panaderos said...

The Dong,

Yes, friends na lang kami ngayon. :)

Panaderos said...

Blogusvox,

Hindi naman. Napa-emote lang nang makinig ako ng Rico J. Puno greatest hits CD. :D

Hayaan mo, quiet lang ako pag nagawi dito ang Misis mo. Alam ba niya ang blogging alias mo? Hehehe

Panaderos said...

Singgit,

Tinay is that you? Hahaha

Napa-emote lang ako. Muntik tuloy akong mabatukan ng bosing ko. Hehe :D

Panaderos said...

Zherwin,

Together Forever? Hahahaha Ok iyon ha! :D

Panaderos said...

Luna Miranda,

I had a classmate in grade school who sang Rico Puno songs at school programs. Pati moves ni Rico Puno onstage eh gayang-gaya. Hehe

Panaderos said...

Bing,

Maybe. Hehehe I don't know if I am but thanks for the compliment. :D

Anonymous said...

i like rico j's kapalaran.. yung may narration pa.. :D

nakarelate naman ako sa kwento mo. medyo iba nga lang ang situation ko. but i'm happy now and walang regrets.. i'm just glad hindi ako nagkamali ng pinili.. ;D

si erick yata ang gusto nang magsisi.. hehehe

Anonymous said...

hindi pala kapalaran title nung sinasabi ko. alaala yata.. yung version nya ng the way we were.. hehehe

Abaniko said...

Wonder if she's not Chinese, would you possibly end up marrying her? Tsismoso eh, ano? Parang showbiz.

atticus said...

hehe. hindi eh. real life. ayaw ng mga magulang ni rich boy si poor girl. malaki silang hadlang. bwahaha!

pero hindi iisa ang araw. naks!

buhay ng friend ko iyon.

naniniwala ka? hindi, di ba? hehe.

Koryn said...

i have two friend's who are exactly in the same set-up! they met in college and fell in love. ngayong, marrying age na sila pero they're still in a secret love affair.

ultimate romantic si rico j. hehehe. 'yung song niya, "sorry na, pwede ba" ni-revive ng brownman revival and ginawang reggae. tapos may cameo performance niya. kulet.

Panaderos said...

Lei,

Ok lang. "The Way We Were" din ang pamagat noong kantang iyon.

Ang mahalaga ay walang regrets sa buhay. :) Sino nga pala si Erick? Quizon??

Panaderos said...

Abaniko,

Kung hindi siya Chinese, maybe the relationship would have lasted much longer than it did. I don't know about marriage though.

Panaderos said...

Atticus,

Bakit naman hindi ako maniniwala? Anything is possible in the name of love.

Sino kaya iyang friend mong iyan? Blogger din ba? Hahaha Hmmm......

Panaderos said...

Penny Lane,

Secret love affair? Does that mean that they're maintaining such an affair while involved with other people?

Regarding Brownman Revival's version of "Sorry Na Puede Ba?", that was one of the first songs I heard when I was in Manila last year. "Sorry Na" was one of my two favorite Rico Puno songs, the other being "Damdamin". :)

Thank you very much for the visit. Much appreciated. :)

Anonymous said...

eric bana! hehehe

si erick ang SO ko. :D

Panaderos said...

Lei,

Hahaha Ok. Kuha ko na. :D

ysrael said...

Hindi ko na-play ang video medyo sawa na ako kay Rico kasi Kababata ko yan at kapitbahay ko duon sa sampaloc. Teen-ager pa lang mahilig ng siyang umentra at magpasikat ng kanta kaya lang hindi siya ma-appreciate ng mga kapitbahay ko. hanggan sa sumikat at nagka-pangalan. Ang isa sa mga contribution ni Rico J. sa entertainment industry ay yung pag-sigla ng mga concert na pinoy ang bida. Di ba naging concert king siya for so many years.

duke said...

wahaw! parang nanonood ako ng black and white na pilikula. hehe.

Panaderos said...

Ysrael,

Kababata mo pala si Rico J d' Great. Puwede bang makahingi ng autograph sa kanya? Hehehe :D

So true. Rico J made it "hip" for people to flock to Pinoy-led concerts. He was a very energetic performer and had the talent to work the crowds.

Panaderos said...

Duke,

Oo nga. Hahaha

Koryn said...

ay well, i just used the term "affair" kasi it's a secret from their parents. but no, they're very much in love with each other. hope something good comes out of it though.

will link you up ah! :D

Panaderos said...

Penny Lane,

Oh I see. Ok. :)

Thanks, I'll link you up too. :)

Unknown said...

Hmmm, and double hmm... wala na akong masabi, hehe. ;-)

Panaderos said...

Rudy,

Hahaha :D Nang-iintriga ka, ha? Hahaha

Anonymous said...

You just unearthed a song that's been buried in my memory bank for a long time :)

Nice story bro and songs such as this is a big part of us because it reminds us of the memorable chapters of our life.

Having said the above, mukhang hiyang at malapit ka sa letter M hehe :)

Panaderos said...

BW,

Hahahaha May trend ba?? LOL

That was a very good one, Bro. :D