After all the geeky stuff, it's time once again for a music break.
The following became a #1 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 Charts back in 1986 for the all-girl trio Bananarama.
The song's called "Venus" and as a dance tune, it got played a lot in dance clubs and parties I went to at the time. Now I don't really dance a lot (wink wink) but at the time, if you wanted to see me on the dance floor, this was one of the dance tunes that you had to play. (Naks!)
It was quite difficult for me to control myself whenever I heard this song played while on a jeepney or bus. For some reason, I couldn't prevent tapping to the beat of this tune. I just had to tap on something regardless of whether it was my shoes on the jeepney/bus floor or my fingers tapping on one knee or both. Hehehe
Although I liked this song when it became a hit in 1986, it was not the first time I heard it and it also wasn't the first time the song hit #1 on Billboard's charts. In fact, this song was not a dance tune at all. Bananarama's version wasn't the original.
In its original version, "Venus" was a rocker piece from a Dutch band called "Shocking Blue". The song was written by the band's founder Robbie van Leeuwen, released in late 1969 and became a #1 hit in early 1970. The following video shows the band performing the song in its original version.
The band's lead singer was the late Mariska Veres (1947-2006). Mr. van Leeuwen, the song's composer, was the guitarist who stood next to her. What stood out on the video were examples of fashion trends from the late 1960s/early 1970s through the long black wig and false eyelashes Ms. Veres wore.
But as to the music, the song's sound was of the basic electric guitars-and-drum combination. It had none of the synthesized sounds that became quite prevalent in the 1980s. Although the group managed to stay popular within their native Holland until they disbanded in 1974, they were not able to score another hit as big as "Venus" internationally. As a result, outside of their home country, the group remains classified as a "One Hit Wonder".



32 responses:
I'm tempted to play on the video but I can't ... I'll check it again whwn I got home.
Sus! For a while I thought you were talking about the "Venus" song of my time. Ha ha ha!
The synthesized sound of the 80s gave that era a really distinctive mark. Right away, a music buff can tell that the song comes from that era.
Bakit ba each time I think about the 80s, puro dance music lahat ang maaalala ko? :)
Aline,
That's ok. I can only play it at home too. IT policy at the company I work for prevents access to Youtube and internet e-mail. :(
Buti na lang nakakapag-blog pa ko. Hehehe :D
Bugsybee,
Were you referring to Frankie Avalon's "Venus"? Hahaha
Mas bago nang kaunti ito. :D
i can only groove..but too bad frustration ko talaga ang sumayaw..kaliwa pareho paa ko..hehe!
i will try to listen to that song..my pc would hang or in slow mo if i'll play youtube..;(
anyway..i simply love music..can't imagine how how boring life would probably be without music.;)
just like aline, i can't play the video, i'll have to do that at home. dang, these office regulations. anyway, that was in 1986??? holy cow. it was an easy tune to like.
kewl, danceable! puro folkdance lang pero sinasayaw ko noon haha. wish ko sumayaw sa ganyang mga tugtugin...:)
i like this one too. i think you should do another dance video to this one! :D
Like Bugsy, I thought you were going to write about Frankie Avalon's song about a beguiling woman-child, hehe. Oh darn! Now I can't get that bubblegum song out of my mind... :-D
Nyl,
Pareho pala tayo. Hahaha Dancing is also a frustration of mine. Mahilig akong sumayaw pero wala siyang hilig sa akin. I wish I could dance as well as my father. I only dance well once I've had a few drinks. :D
True, Life would be so dull without music.
Photo Cache,
Yes, indeed. It had a great beat to begin with and Bananarama made it better when they rearranged it to a dance tune. :)
Hard to believe sometimes that it's been 22 years since the Bananarama version became popular.
Fingertalks,
Give it a try then! Sige na! Hahaha :)
RDL,
Hahaha Good idea but I have to consult a choreographer first to come up with a decent dance video. :D
Rudy,
Yikes! Yes, get that Frankie Avalon song off your head! Quick! Hahaha
oh my gulay!!! reminds me of those days fashionable girls wore leg warmers...in the middle of equatorial philippine summer. hehe.
I remember the book " Men are from Mars while women are from Venus" how true?hehe!no connection with your entry actually.;0
Life is like a music.
and then i was transported to my elementary days! hahaha
bananarama's music, as it was really danceable, was a permanent staple whenever there's a program in school.
i miss the music of the 80's.
ito po ba yung "she's got it, yeah baby she's got it, i'm your venus, i'm your fire, at your desire"
wala kaseng naga-appear na video player. internet connection problem naman dito sa office lagi. so bagal, dsl na yan ha. i'll play it na lang din sa bahay mamaya.
gusto ko yan e. pag medley, mga kasama nito i heard a rumor, love in the first degree.. :)
lss ko na tuloy. kahit sa mind ko lang narinig. hehe.
i was still playing hopscotch when Venus was a hit... and showing my panties to playmates without care :D
anyway, you are tagged :) and do have a great weekend, even if it will be full of mushy pining over someone :D
Mec of Hope This Helps You
I know the song but I didn't knew Dutch band pala ang "Shocking Blue". Sumasayaw ka pala pagpinilit ; ), ako hindi kasi parehong kaliwa ang paa ko. I'm one of those guys who just nod their head to the tune at the back of the dance floor during J-S proms.
Atticus,
True, things people go through just to be "in". Hahaha
Ev,
That's ok. Both sexes do think and approach things differently. :)
Zherwin,
There were a lot of good bands that came out of the 80s. I must say that quite a number of the ones I really liked were British such as Tears For Fears, Duran Duran, and Depeche Mode. Bananarama was also a British group.
There must be something in the water in the UK because in humble my opinion, bands over there tend to come up with a better and more original sound. Much better than their American counterparts I think.
Lei,
Iyan nga! Tumpak ang iyong kasagutan! :D
Gusto ko rin iyang "I Heard A Rumor" kasi it applied to my love life in college. Hehehe Oops! :D
Mec,
Hahahaha That was very funny! LOL! It reminded me of some of my playmates when I was a kid. A couple of the girls used to do the same. :D
Btw, thanks for the tag. I checked your site out and I like the questions. I'll do it real soon! In fact, nag-iisip na nga ako kung sino ang mga ita-tag ko. :)
Blogusvox,
Yes, napapasayaw din. Kaunting beer lang puwede na. Hahaha
As for Shocking Blue, I was surprised to find out too that they were a Dutch band. All the while I thought that they were either an American or British band.
You know what, parang me naririnig pa kong ibang version ng Venus that was being played during the late 1960's. Parang lalaki ang singer but the accompaniment was exactly the same. Of course I cannot deny the fact that probably my memory must be failing me.
Rolly,
It's very possible that you may be referring to the same group. Before I saw Shocking Blue's performance on video, I had thought that the lead singer was male. I think she had that type of voice that one could mistake for a man's.
I love the orig version . Man, this song was HOT when it came out in the 70's. We remember it even if we were kids. Truly a one hit wonder :)
BW,
I prefer the original version too because of the guitar strumming and the sound it produced. I think it's so cool. :)
i agree with bw, the original is much better than the bananarama thing, and i often thought of how many people think the bananarama version was the original! same bad trip i get when i heard some kids mooning over sharon cuneta's new song "both sides now" ... course they wouldn't have known about Joni Mitchell ... which reminds me, Mr. D.J., pwedeng magrequest?
Bambit,
Yeah, a lot of the songs coming out now are remakes or cover versions. It's sad in a way because it just goes to show that there isn't a lot of original songs or material coming out of singers these days.
Ano nga pala ang request mo? :)
Post a Comment