Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Let's "Take Five"

I apologize that I've been busy with personal matters the last several days. However, as I took a break from work earlier this evening, a term common to musicians, "take five", came to mind. The expression originally referred to a short five-minute break musicians took. Whenever such a short break was called, one often said "Let's take five".

However, this expression also reminded me of a classic jazz tune from 1959 also called "Take Five". The tune was composed by the late Paul Desmond who as saxophonist was a member of the Dave Brubeck Quartet. Dave Brubeck was the pianist and completing the quartet were the other two members: drummer Joe Morello and bassist Eugene Wright. The tune gained fame for its distinctive saxophone melody, as you will later hear, and for Mr. Corello's outstanding drum solo.

The following video shows the quartet performing the tune on a tv show called "Jazz Casual", a show that was hosted by jazz columnist Ralph Gleason who would eventually co-found Rolling Stone Magazine. This particular segment was aired on American public television back in October 1961:


The band performed the tune live on the show and it explains the less than excellent quality of the audio. The stage is practically bare and one finds the camera shots quite basic. However, in lieu of the rather low production values, what the viewer gets is pure entertainment thus making it possible for the tune's beauty to shine through.

Overall, I personally find the tune's melody rather relaxing, lending credence to the song's title. I love listening to this tune often at night when I'm either out for a quiet drive or enjoying a quiet evening at home.

However, since the tune was performed live in the studio, the quality of the audio leaves quite a bit to be desired. In order to better appreciate the tune, I am adding the following clip that features the aong's recorded version:


The Dave Brubeck Quartet disbanded in 1967. Sadly, unlike the band's other members, the tune's writer, Mr. Desmond, is no longer around. A heavy smoker, Mr. Desmond succumbed to lung cancer in 1977. But even though he's gone, he left us a gem of a tune that's become part of jazz music history.

23 responses:

Anonymous said...

I have several versions of Take Five in my iPod. But my favorites are the ones from Eumir Deodato and Al Jarreau.

BlogusVox said...

Yeaahh, jazzzz. Glad to know you like it too, pards. As for "Take Five", you often hear this as background music in detective or "whodunit" films".

"Take 5" is also used by coaches and directors if they want their players or actors to take a break.

atticus said...

relaxing. nice.

lung cancer. hmmm. wait. i think that got me thinking.

it's time to take a break. take five lungfuls.

gah. when will i quit this?

Anonymous said...

i like the older version of it... sounds soothing for my ears... hahaha pampatulog ba...

thanks for visiting my blog...=)

Panaderos said...

Bugsybee,

I've heard Al Jarreau's version but I have to check out Deodato's. Thanks for the lead. :)

Panaderos said...

Blogusvox,

Yes, that's true. It's the type of tune that people hear everywhere and yet they're not aware that it's "Take Five". It's also been featured on tv commercials, especially here in the US.

escape said...

classic na classic nga.

Whenever such a short break was called, one often said "Let's take five". >>> wow! hindi ko alam to.

Panaderos said...

Atticus,

I-try mo lang na gradual or puwede ring cold turkey ang pag-quit. Best of luck and ingat. :)

Panaderos said...

Neuroticsister,

Hahaha Yes, this tune has actually lulled me to sleep quite a number of times. I often listen to it in the evenings or sometimes on a lazy afternoon. :)

Panaderos said...

Dong,

I often hear the expression said while watching a movie about musicians or artists. They often say that whenever they felt they needed a quick break. I got curious on the origin of the expression and decided to do some research. In the process of doing such research, I also came across this tune that I happened to immediately like once I listened to it.

pamatayhomesick said...

ninanamnam ko pa yung jazzzzz music.sarap pakinggan nito habang at kasalukuyan akong nagpipinta ngayon!

pamatayhomesick said...

ops! take a break muna..maybe i make and take five!

Anonymous said...

I can play this tune! It's not easy for many piano beginners because it is played in 5/4 time. ;-) I remember when I first encountered the piece, I was 12 and I forced myself to learn it, having been challenged by the time. :-)

Unknown said...

Yep several versions of this piece on cd. It's also one of my fave road music. :-)

atticus said...

yes, dad. pramis po.

:)

ev said...

nice one...thanks for sharing.:)

Panaderos said...

Ever,

Hahahaha Ok. Take Five ka muna. :D

Panaderos said...

MegaMom,

Good for you! I love this tune and I love listening to it played live. You're right in that the title was also derived from the fact that it needed to be played in quintuple time. Quite unusual.

I'm very impressed that you learned this piece at age 12. Ang galing! :)

Panaderos said...

Rudy,

It is the type of music that's ideal for driving, as long as one isn't stuck in traffic. Hehehe

Seriously, I never tire of listening to this tune. I love its melody. :)

Panaderos said...

Atticus,

Very good, my child. Pag nagawa mo iyan, may pasalubong ka sa akin na mga chocolate. :D

Panaderos said...

Ev,

You're very welcome. I'm glad you like it. :)

Toe said...

That's one of my favorite jazz tunes Panaderos. :) We learned that in our "Forms" class when I was still studying in the Conservatory. It's called "Take Five" because the signature is in 5/4 or five beats to a measure which digresses from the usual two, three, or four beats to a measure. Great video finds!

Panaderos said...

Toe,

Thanks! :) I read that playing in that 5/4 beat was quite rare and quite difficult. How I wish I knew how to play this tune.