Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Meeting of Champions

This was truly a meeting of champions.

Just wanted to share this happy video showing the 2008 NBA Champions Boston Celtics congratulating and cheering our countryman and new WBC Lightweight Champion Manny Pacquiao after his victory last Saturday over David Diaz.

Manny Pacquiao's victory over David Diaz marked the first time that an Asian has become a boxing champ in four weight classes. Such achievement makes it a certainty that Manny Pacquiao would enter Boxing's Hall of Fame someday.


The video shows Celtics stars Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, and Sam Cassell cheering and congratulating Manny, himself a huge Celtics fan, in his locker room after the fight. It was a happy and rowdy bunch of champions who earned well-deserved victories and the respect of their peers.

Clips from this video were also shown over ABC 7 Eyewitness News in New York last Sunday night and that was where I first saw it.

Congratulations again, Manny.

20 responses:

ALiNe said...

Astig talaga ni Menny ... nakakatuwa yung chineecheer nila si Menny! LOL

escape said...

asteeg talaga ang mga champions! thanks to menny (LOL) for making as proud!

by far the best filipino boxer. mabuhay ka!

RJ said...

meeting of champions talaga. buti na lang hindi lakers ang pinili ni manny nung kasagsagan ng NBA Finals. =D

Photo Cache said...

that is a heartwarming scene, ano? ang saya, saya.

congratulations :D

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful sight of the 3 NBA stars paying Manny a courtesy call and congratulating him for a tremedous victory :)

Manny is definitely a Hall of Famer candidate. Nice to know that if I ever visit the Boxing Hall of Fame site near Syracuse, NY 5 hours from where I am, I would see a Pinoy honored as one of the best in the sport :)

Nyl said...

hat's off to Manny!;0)

Panaderos said...

Aline,

Yeah, nakakatuwa talaga. Sikat na talaga sa buong mundo ang kababayan natin. :)

Panaderos said...

The Dong,

Medyo kilig rin nga si "Menny" eh nang matabi siya kay Kevin Garnett. Biglang tumaas ang boses nang mapatawa siya. Hehehe :D

Panaderos said...

RJ,

Hahaha Oo nga. Marunong palang pumili sa Manny ng kakampihan sa NBA Finals. Buti na lang at nanalo ang Celtics. :D

Panaderos said...

Photo Cache,

Yeah, nakakatuwa talaga. I'm happy for him for what he's accomplished. Celebrity na si Manny dito sa US dahil he's seen as a very exciting fighter who's willing to fight it out with the best. He is one of those boxers who have helped revive public interest in the sport.

Panaderos said...

BW,

Same here. I look forward to visiting that Hall someday to see his name there. Gabriel "Flash" Elorde's name is there too if I'm not mistaken.

Panaderos said...

Nyl,

Yup! Mabuhay si Manny! :)

Unknown said...

Umm... I'm not much of a boxing fanatic, nor even a Pacquiao fan. But I did see the video showing him huddling with his favorite NBA stars in the news. It sort of amused me to see the height difference between the athletes. And I was thinking... paano kaya kung magsuntukan ang mga ito, sino kaya ang mananalo?

Hopefully, he stays away from politics in 2010. But from the looks of it, mukhang sasabak pa rin siya... no thanks to the prodding of his "buddies".

Panaderos said...

Manny needs to know who his real friends are. A lot of people want a piece of him and he should realize that a lot of those "smiling" faces around him are actually looking at him as prey rather than as a friend.

escape said...

hahaha.... oo nga no.

Panaderos said...

The Dong,

I wonder how it's like to be in Manny's shoes where pretty much the whole world is at his feet now?

Just wondering.

rolly said...

watched the fight live in one of the theaters here. That was a classic Manny fight. He never missed a beat. He's undeniably the best boxer pound for pound.

Panaderos said...

Rolly,

So true. He's now the dominant force in his weight class. Boxing afficionados love him because he's an exciting fighter, one who never backs down from a good fight.

As long as he keeps up the discipline and the work ethic, he's bound to win more honors and make more millions for himself. :)

Unknown said...

I'm not really a boxing fan, nor a Pacquiao fan, but I'm proud of Manny for the sportsmanship he showed last Sunday. Halos ma-heart attack ang mga tao sa bahay sa excitement!:D

Panaderos said...

Luna Miranda,

LOL @ heart attack! :D

He's a very good sportsman and a very likable guy. Aside from our countrymen, he's very much admired and respected by HBO sportscasters, boxing writers, fans, and even a number of Hollywood celebrities. He's projecting a very good and positive image for our country at a time when such image needs much boosting.