Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Cats in the Cradle

A child arrived just the other day,
He came to the world in the usual way.
But there were planes to catch, and bills to pay.
He learned to walk while I was away.
And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew,
He'd say, "I'm gonna be like you, dad.
You know I'm gonna be like you."

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon,
Little boy blue and the man in the moon.
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when,
But we'll get together then.

You know we'll have a good time then."

My son turned ten just the other day.
He said, "Thanks for the ball, dad, come on let's play.
Can you teach me to throw?" I said, "Not today,
I got a lot to do." He said, "That's ok."
And he walked away, but his smile never dimmed,
Said, "I'm gonna be like him, yeah.
You know I'm gonna be like him."

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon,
Little boy blue and the man in the moon.
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when,
But we'll get together then.

You know we'll have a good time then."

Well, he came from college just the other day,
So much like a man I just had to say,
"Son, I'm proud of you. Can you sit for a while?
"He shook his head, and he said with a smile,
"What I'd really like, dad, is to borrow the car keys.
See you later. Can I have them please?"

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon,
Little boy blue and the man in the moon.
"When you coming home, son?"
"I don't know when,
But we'll get together then, dad.

You know we'll have a good time then."

I've long since retired and my son's moved away.
I called him up just the other day.
I said, "I'd like to see you if you don't mind."
He said, "I'd love to, dad, if I could find the time.
You see, my new job's a hassle, and the kid's got the flu,
But it's sure nice talking to you, dad.
It's been sure nice talking to you."

And as I hung up the phone, it occurred to me,

He'd grown up just like me.
My boy was just like me.

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon,
Little boy blue and the man in the moon.
"When you coming home, son?"
"I don't know when,
But we'll get together then, dad.
You know we'll have a good time then."

- Harry Chapin (1942-1981)

Each moment not spent with a child is a moment lost forever.

14 responses:

Anonymous said...

it's a sad song. :(

Panaderos said...

Mari,

It is. One of the great folk songs from the early 70s.

rdl said...

Love that song!!

Anonymous said...

I like Ugly Kid Joe's version of this song.

Panaderos said...

rdl,

So true. It's been a long-time favorite of mine. Great message.

Panaderos said...

Fence,

I agree with you that Ugly Kid Joe did a very good version of this song. If I'm not mistaken, UKJ's version came out in the early 90s, right? :)

zherwin said...

you know what, this is the first time that i read and understand the song, i know the song, i know the melody but the lyrics hit me only now.

it was really a sad song. and this kind of songwriting is now gone or is lacking in the songs we have today. sigh.

Sidney said...

I have a teenage son... I can relate to this song...
Sad but true! Life as it is...

Panaderos said...

Zherwin,

It took me a while too to realize and appreciate the lyrics of this song. A long while.

Panaderos said...

Sidney,

Time is truly precious because it's so limited.

Lazarus said...

the last line is indeed thought- provoking. to be turned down leaves a tiny wound in the heart.

Panaderos said...

Lazarus,

True. The words in that last line reflect the sadness, loneliness, and regret over what was lost.

Unknown said...

Been listening to this song since God-knows-when. It's one of the songs in folk songs compilation CD. And know what? It is always the last line of the song that hits me the most. It kinda tells us that we reap what we sow...

Ack! It really shows my age, doesn't it? :-D

Panaderos said...

Rudy,

So true. Though the words used may have been simple, they certainly hit the mark.

On a lighter note, no reason to feel konely about the "age" thing. I'm not that far behind you, Pards. Hehe :)