The Panaderos family never had a true ancestral home. If we ever had one, it should have been my great grandmother's old home on P. Campa Street in Sampaloc. Her home was built some time in the early 1900s. As was typical of the homes at the time, it was primarily a wooden structure, had capiz (seashell) windows, and a flight of stairs that led one from the street level up to the living quarters on the second floor.
However, after she died in the early 1970s, one of her sons, a great uncle of mine, inherited the place. Since he lived by himself, it was easier for him to visit the rest of the clan who resided in my hometown. Thus, the Panaderos family home in my hometown became the sort of de facto family ancestral home even though it was much newer.
As for my hometown, under the 1987 Constitution, it formed one of Manila's six congressional districts. Back in the pre-martial law days and under the 1935 Constitution, it was one of Manila's four congressional districts.
To share just a bit of its history, in pre-Spanish times, the district I grew up in was originally part of a rather large Muslim kingdom that covered what are now the cities of Mandaluyong, Makati, and Pasay and the Manila districts of Paco and Pandacan. I guess you could say that the kingdom was a precursor to today's Metro Manila. But when the Spaniards acquired the territory in the late 1570s, control of the area, my district in particular, was handed over to Franciscan missionaries.
In the 1800s, the town became one of the favorite vacation places for some of Manila's affluent families. A number of their vacation homes used to stand by the southeast banks of the Pasig River, at a time when the scent emanating from the Pasig was still described as "sweet". The famed tranvia ("electric streetcar") used to run along one of the town's major roads and the tracks ended practically at the footsteps of our centuries-old Franciscan Church.
The Panaderos clan moved into the district around 1940 from the neighboring town of Makati. Makati, at the time, was still a rural town with rice fields and was one of the towns that made up the province of Rizal. In Makati, the Panaderos family had lived in a house in one of the streets behind the Makati City Hall's current location. In my hometown, the Panaderos family rented a house that was part of three or four blocks of homes that were built and developed by the landlord, the Yutivo Corporation.
Unlike the Ermita and Malate districts, my town was generally spared from the large-scale destruction brought on by the Liberation of Manila. However, it was not without its share of war casualties. A couple of very close family friends lost loved ones during the war. Aling Violet, a next door neighbor and close family friend, had a Polish-American father who served in the USAFFE (US Armed Forces in the Far East). He fought the Japanese in Bataan and ended up losing his life there. Mang Roy, whose family lived next door to us, had an older brother who served in the famed Philippine Scouts. He was picked up by the Kempeitai (Japanese Military Police) one night on suspicion of aiding the guerillas. He was never seen alive again.
The district showed a lot of progress during the 1950s and 1960s thanks to the success and hard work of a lot of its residents. A lot of the old Spanish-style homes were demolished by their owners and replaced by new and modern-looking apartment-style buildings. Quite a number of stylish American cars also became present on its streets.
The 70s were a fun time for me. I became familiar with the places and personalities around the neighborhood. In the process, I made quite a number of friends, a lot of them were the children themselves of my father's friends. I participated in a summer basketball league one year (a topic that would be the subject of a future blog entry), climbed the big acacia trees that were a common sight in a number of the streets back then, helped put up streamers for the town fiesta, participated in games and contests held on the day of the town fiesta, and "helped out" with the Santacruzan processions. I also remember the dance parties my older cousins hosted at home with the lights turned "down low".
We also had some so called neighborhood personalities. The neighborhood pediatrician's last name was Jayme and so we took to calling him "Dr. J", patterned after the NBA star Julius Erving who was quite popular at the time. There was also Dr. G, the older brother of a Sampaguita Pictures matinee idol. To the boys in the neighborhood, he inspired fear for he was known as "The Great Circumciser". Hardly a summer vacation went by without his name being mentioned by the parents back then.
We also had Aling Linda, a lady who sold a variety of cold refreshments, "ulam" (viands) and snacks during the hot summers. She had to do so for she had to support a rather large brood. Sleek and Tomas were the town tailors.
Unfortunately, the 70s also witnessed the beginning of a decline in the neighborhood. By then, many of the old-time residents had either moved to the suburbs or had migrated to the US or Canada. A lot of newcomers moved in from various places and provinces around the country. Sadly, these people did not share the feelings of ownership and respect old-time residents had for the place.
My family moved out to the suburbs in the mid 1970s although we still made it a point to visit on weekends. My visits to the place became less frequent during the 1980s once I got busy with college, got into romantic relationships, and worked on starting a profession. The last long visit was back in the early 90s when I drove around the neighborhood's streets as some sort of goodbye before leaving for the States.
I haven't been to my hometown in a while. Although I was in Manila last August, I was only able to stop by it once to see a very dear Aunt and my dear cousins. It was a shame that due to a previous commitment, I was not able to stay more than a couple of hours. Given such short stay, I was not able to spend some time to savor the neighborhood of my childhood.
Although a lot of changes have taken place, in my brief visit I saw that a lot of the nice old Spanish-style homes are still there. Many still belong to the same families that have lived in the town for generations, some of whom have had a presence in our town since the early 1900s. The old acacia trees are now gone. In their place stand new apartment-style buildings. Although these new buildings look quite trendy and modern from the outside, neighbors told me that they were not as well constructed as the old ones.
Dr. J is retired now and one of his sons have taken his place as the town pediatrician. His clinic still stands on the spot where I remembered it to be. Dr. G, like his matinee idol brother, has long since passed away. So too has Tomas, one of the tailors. Sleek has retired too. Both of their shops now gone. Mang Roy passed away recently after a long bout with cancer.
My great uncle who lived on P. Campa Street is no longer around too, having passed away in the late 1980s. My great grandmother's P Campa residence is no longer there. The property was sold to a Manila businessman who had the house demolished and a commercial building put up on its old site.
Aling Linda, happily, is still around. All her hard work in the summers surely paid off for she has become a landlord and now owns at least two apartment buildings in the area. Most of her kids have done quite well too for themselves.
Those are the stories and there are much more, too many to fit into one blog entry. The town occupies a special place within me for all of the above helped me to become what I am. I don't know when I'll be back for another vist. But when I do, I'll probably stay awhile.
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
A Sentimental Trip
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Diseño por headsetoptions | A Blogger por Blog and Web



22 responses:
i grew up in manila, too. the place was very different now. our neighbors demolished old wooden houses and erected building-type apartments. the plaza has undergone major renovation. plus, there are MORE people now in our community.
Mari,
Yeah, I did notice that there were a lot more people in my old neighborhood too. Luckily, the streets were a bit wide and that helped make it seem less crowded. Floods are getting worse too, probably due to an aging drainage system.
Iba na talaga pag tumatanda, we tend to reminisce about the good old days, haha. Anyways, it's true, a lot of things have changed in the city. What's worse, many of the old neighborhood have now been replace by whole communities of squatters. Heck, even the Pasig riverbank that used to be lush with foliages are now dotted with shanties. Is it any wonder why the river now stinks to high heavens?.
thanks for sharing with us a little bit of history and great stories of your neighborhood. sayang wala pang digital camera noon, sarap sigurong balikan yun!
The places change. The people change. The memories remain. The town will always be how we knew it to be.
ah, finally, you shared origin of your blog's name [?]. it's nice to reminisce as we have family and friends in an area who somehow vanished. sometimes progress erases the physical bond we had with a place.
like mine, it's traditional no more. :(
I'm sure your impeccable memory and your good writing made this post a nice read. I have fond memories of my childhood, too, but I couldn't recall as much as you do.
Looking at the years mentioned, I suppose we are almost of the same age. Which reminds me, the reason I did not become good in basketball is because it always turned out into a brawl during that time.
do stay a while...
the WE we meet in old watering holes such as this often prove interesting... plus, we get to realize how far we've come, how much farther we still have to go and whether we've been travelling in the right direction...
Rudy,
A number of those vacation homes that used to stand by the banks of the Pasig have long been demolished. A wet public market, a small oil depot, and a lumberyard now stand on their former lots. A few of the reasons as to why the Pasig River now stinks.
Jane,
Sayang nga. All I have are polaroids from the period. They're all stored in family albums at my parents' home in Manila.
Hi Em,
True. What remains in our memory is a snapshot of that time and place we were a part of. I'll gradually be putting them down on these pages using my blog as a repository of those memories. I just hope that Google maintains blogspot for a while. Hehe
Ipanema,
Spot on. This was indeed a write-up that explains in a way how I came up with my blog's name.
From the 60s to the mid 70s, a significant majority of my cousins and I lived on the same street. We played with each other and ended up real close. Though only a few cousins remain in the area, we all remain close and the tight bond shows during family reunions.
Rolly,
It's true that basketball brawls were quite common in the 70s. The funny thing with my experience was that even though I played a lot of basketball with neighbors and other kids in the area, I never really got into any fights. It was my father who got into a lot of brawls over basketball but these happened back in the so-called "peaceful" 1950s. Hahaha
Hi Mec,
My sentiments exactly. I realized towards the end of my stay in Manila that two weeks was too short a time to spend. The next long vacation I take, I'll probably stay for at least two months. If only I could find an employer who would let me do that. Hehe
Take care. :)
such a very nice entry about your hometown. i could imagine the all the places exactly as you've written it. tho most of them might have been replaced by new buildings and the old time dwellers may moved to other places, but the memories still remain. nothing can beat that, i think. thanks for sharing :)
a lot of changes lately. The manila i first saw in 1994, is no longer the same in 2008. but luneta park is still there.
Hi carlota1924,
Thank you very much. The entry was just my own little way of paying homage to the people and the place. Thanks again.
Hi Lazarus,
There have been a lot of changes since I left in the early 90s. I noticed a lot of new highways and skyways. The skylines have become much more impressive. A lot of high-rise buildings and condominiums. I remeber back in the mid 80s when the Pacific Star, at 27 storeys, was hailed as the tallest building in the country. It looked quite impressive then but it sure doesn't look that impressive now as it pales in comparison to the flashy, taller, and more architecturally stylish buildings that have since been built.
I remember P.Campa St...that area and all those streets near UST =)
I have a peronality test for you and a tag at the same time =D Hope you don't mind doing it...its here.
if you decided to do the tag please email me at dog_lapss@yahoo.com so I can send you the code...=) Thanks in advance!
Hi gizelle,
Thanks. I have fond memories of P. Campa even if our visits there were few and far between.
Sure, I don't mind taking the personality test. I just hope that the results won't land me in some institution somewhere. Hehe :) Just kidding. I'll e-mail you for the code. Thanks.
I enjoyed reading this sentimental trip. It reminded mo so many things about my family, ancestral house, climbing sampaloc, guava, starfruit trees, etc.
I have memories of P. Campa as a student because some of my college friends were staying there that time. I agree that Makati used to be a picture of ricefields. Hence the city's name was derived from there.
WitsandNuts,
Except for the Luneta, unfortunately few places remain within Manila where trees still grow.
Our old family home on P. Campa came down some time in 1995 or 1996. After my great grandmother's passing, my great uncle leased some of the rooms to student boarders. The ground floor was leased to a family who ran a billiards hall.
Post a Comment