"Being a professional is doing the things you love to do, on the days you don't feel like doing them." - Julius Erving
Wise words from an NBA Legend. As professionals, we engage in an occupation or work as a means of livelihood or for personal gain. In the workplace, we are expected to always give our best, put our best foot forward, and put in an honest day's work. As professionals, we are then held to certain work and ethical standards.
However, we're also human and like every other human being, there are days and/or moments when we find it quite difficult to focus on the work or task before us. Instead of working on either a report or a presentation that's coming due, we find our thoughts wandering off, often to non-work related stuff. It may be due to a variety of reasons such as fatigue, an illness, or personal problems. As a result, we sometimes find ourselves either surfing the web or blogging. Sometimes we walk over to a coworker's cubicle to engage in some chitchat about the day's events or talk about any other topic under the sun except for work.
We may call those moments "mental breaks" or "recharging" but for some people, they will be quick to label those moments as "unproductive time" or "down time". Some would question our work ethic, call us "lazy", and some self-proclaimed moralists would even render a judgment on us by saying that we failed to put in an honest day's work.
Deep within, I must admit that it does bother me a lot whenever I get into such unproductive periods. My feelings are mixed at best. Although I do enjoy taking mental breaks, a part of me also laments the time lost in the process. A good part of my regret is also deeply personal. I view those unproductive spells as my failure to match my father's work ethic.
In all his years at work, I never saw my father open or read a newspaper while he was in the office, not even during lunch breaks. He would only bother to open and read the papers at night, once he was home. But while on the job, he was all work. He was all work from the moment he stepped in his office in the morning to the moment he packed up at night.
I was certain that the papers were never read in the office because they were still very neatly folded and looked as crisp and fresh as the moment they were placed on his desk earlier that day. That was the example he set for me and one I've always tried to live up to with varying degrees of success.
But like my father, I do value my job and I do take great pride in my work. I make sure that with every report I submit and every presentation I make, that I am well prepared and confident to respond to questions directed at me. I make sure that I have command of all the details necessary to support a position or a recommendation. The approach has so far helped me with my career.
But it is also my view that I would rather take a much needed mental break than submit a work product of questionable quality. But make no mistake. Deadlines do matter to me and I won't be caught dead missing any of them unless it was for factors beyond my control.
Looking back, I probably decided somewhere in my past to take an approach different fr0m my father's but to still strive towards the same end. The approaches we took were probably different because our personalities were different. Our life experiences were different too. All his hard work and sacrifices, some dating back from his childhood, did make life a little more comfortable for me and my sister.
Using Mr. Erving's definition of a Professional as the benchmark, maybe I am less of a professional than my father. However, if his definition of a Professional was based on the quality of one's output, maybe I have a fighting chance.



14 responses:
Aray ko po! Sapul ata ako dun..meron ako dahilan kung mas malaki ang oras ng pagmumuni muni ko kesa sa oras ng pag tatrabaho. pero wag po kayo mag alala kasi nabibigay ko naman ang report ko bago ang araw ng deadline at alam naman ng boss ko na mas nauuna ko pa tingnan ang blog ninyo na mga paborito ko kesa tingnan ang laman ng email ko..inaantay ko nga na tanggalin nalang ako sa trabaho kasi ang hirap mag resign pero wala epekto.hahaha..gusto ko rin sana maging tulad ng ugali ng tatay mo pag dating sa trabaho kaya lang hindi ko kaya eh baka pag ganun tulog na ako..mas gusto ata ng boss ko na ganito nagbabasa ako ng blog ng mga tao kesa matulog ako..
I am so for mini breaks, mental or otherwise. When I was studying for the boards, I would reward myself from time to time with an hour of minesweeper. It kept me going. Until now, I enjoy my mini breaks, which includes blooging by the way. As long as you do your work well, indulging in these little joys should not be an issue.
Stroke,
Kumusta ka na? Looking at the bright side, at least may natututunan din tayo sa pagbasa ng blog ng mga tao. There's always something to learn from each person's blog with some lessons we can share with others.
Siguro maganda naman ang kalidad ng trabaho mo for your boss to retain your services. For some of us, maybe it also applies to you, reading non-work related stuff energizes us mentally. I'd rather do that than be caught sleeping on the job. Siguro nga ang bottomline these days is that as long as hindi mo napapabayaan ang trabaho mo, ok lang na you take those mental breaks.
Hi Em,
I guess my father was a product of a different time and had a job of a different nature from what I currently have.
Like you, I can't imagine going through an entire day without taking a few mental breaks. Not having those breaks I believe would do me more harm than good.
I guess I am lucky... I reward myself with an hour of work after enjoying a long time of doing nothing... ;-)
Sidney,
Could we switch places even for just a month? Hahaha
on reading the papers in the office -- (this may come across as defensive but it's not) i guess it depends on the type of work one does. in my line of work, for example, it is a must that we read the papers. my expat bosses would even place the newspapers on my desk first thing in the morning to keep me abreast with currentr events, most especially the business side.
i also have my downtime moments at work, what i do is to take quick breaks i.e. short walk, jumping jacks in the ladies room, write anything that's not work-related. after the break, i feel better already.
It was different during our fathers' time. Things weren't as stressful and hectic in the workplace then as it is now. In fact, some experts recommend having those mental breaks every once in a while in order to reduce work fatigue. So go ahead, have that coffee break...
Mari,
One's brain does tire out if the job is basically analytical in nature. I find analytical work a lot more exhausting than manual labor.
In your example, I won't consider reading newspapers at work as purely downtime especially if information there is critical for the work that one does.
Rudy,
You're absolutely right. The nature and technology used on the job has indeed changed a lot. There was a preponderance of clerical jobs during our fathers' time while thanks to technology, jobs have become more analytical in ours. Thus, the need for mental breaks.
Sounds like you are too hard on yourself; downtime is good - to recharge/refuel. Advice i need to take too.
rdl,
You're right. I need to ease up on myself a bit. There are times when I tend to stress myself out unnecessarily.
Diligence is certainly a big part of professionalism but it is not everything. Accountability and proper use of authority are ingidients of professionalism that comes to mind. Emotional intelligence also plays a key part in our survival at the workplace :)
bw,
I agree with your view 100%, Bro. I was probably obssessing too much on the diligence part. It is important but it is not everything. There are other equally important areas that define a Professional. You're absolutely right. Thanks.
Post a Comment