It's past midnight when I wrote this entry. Sleep, as usual, eluded me. So I figured there's no better way to lull myself to sleep than to share with you my whereabouts this week.
Am currently on a two-week assignment in Northern California. The town I'm in is called Santa Rosa in Sonoma County, part of California's "wine country". The above photo is the view from my hotel room. When I checked into the hotel Sunday night, the gentleman at the front desk handed me a complimentary bottle of Chardonnay. I haven't opened the bottle yet for I figured it would be better to save it for a special occasion.
Earlier this evening, I bought dinner from a Chinese takeout place. The place was called ABC Cafe. Don't know what ABC stood for except something tells me that they probably stood for "American Born Chinese". Anyway, as I waited for my food, I saw a sign in that restaurant I found quite funny. The sign was posted right above the Cashier's desk and said, "Thank You For Coming in ABC Cafe".
Never had the chance to take a picture of the sign for my food arrived as I was about to take aim with my camphone. Going back to its message, those folks were a bit presumptuous, weren't they? :)
Original Photo by: Panaderos



23 responses:
yes that is very presumptuous of them, indeed! he he he
"Thank You For Coming in ABC Cafe" - Man, the food in there must be orgasmic... to the tongue that is. :-D
Hey, Sonoma County! That's where a very good friend of mine lives. He's a psychologist, and he's also the head shrink at the notorious Folsom Prison. :-D
In Hawaii, there's an ABC store. The locals say ABC means Always Bring Cash.
the pool looks inviting. great view, indeed.
i need my orange vest though. kaya lang it doesn't look bagay in the pool.
Daphne,
I chuckled when I saw the sign. I had to make sure no one saw me. Hehehe
Rudy,
Wow, your buddy has quite impressive credentials. The prison is about 125 miles east of where I am.
Em,
Hahaha That's a good one. A lot of small businesses still do that. I was tempted to ask them for a copy of their tax return because they did not issue me a receipt. Hehehe
Mari,
It is a nice view but I don't think there'll be a need for an orange vest. :)
lol...nice view! really laughing at the meaning of ABC. di na ako amgsalita baka magalit saken mga Chinese. :)
Ipanema,
I started hearing it in the early part of this decade. I believe it started from 2nd and 3rd generation Chinese residents here in the US. :)
hope you're getting some sleep already :)
True, some cousins of mine are American-born and they call themselves ABCs... it's not a derogatory term.
Correction pala, my friend (who is a Pinoy btw, and used to teach at the Uni where I studied) used to live in Sonoma county when he worked for the State of California, but moved when he was offered his current position at the prison.
Interesting job daw, he tells me during one of his visit in these islands. Imagine being surrounded and picking the minds of murderers and rapists every freaking day. But the pay is good naman daw... :-D
Hi Mec,
Still working on it but things are getting better, albeit slowly. :) Thanks.
Rudy,
Wow. Very interesting job truly. It's scary that one talks to the likes of a Manson or a Dahmer on a more or less daily basis. I hope there's always a guard or officer around whenever your buddy meets with those prisoners.
Pay must really be good.
i am quite slow, i didn't find anything funny on the signage until i read rudy's comment. :)
Zherwin,
What matters is you eventually caught my drift. :)
mmm..chinese food, wine and a pool - lucky you.
Enjoy the wine and the swimming pool... No girls? ;-)
Hi rdl,
Thanks. Very tempted to open that bottle of chardonnay. Very tempted. Hehehe
Sidney,
Girls? You want me to get into trouble, don't you? Hahaha :)
I couldn't stop giggling after reading that sign. LOL. A friend who toured China with his family last year says there are a lot funny translations out there.
Mon,
So true. I saw quite a number of those too when I was in HK a few weeks ago. A school called St. Joseph's had two huge signs in front of its building where both signs spelled Joseph as "Joesph". My favorite was a sign in one mall that said "Do not anger". :)
Post a Comment