"When I was alone then, no love in sight
And I did everything I could to get me through the night;
Don't know where it started or where it might end,
I turn to a stranger, just like a friend."
- Waylon Jennings ("Lookin' for Love")
Late in the evening of Thursday last week, a Cebu Pacific flight left Manila for Bangkok. On board that flight was Alice Cadian, a pretty and vivacious girl in her late twenties who works for a multinational company in Makati City.
The purpose of the Bangkok trip wasn't business. It wasn't vacation either. Alice made the trip to finally meet up with a European gentleman, one she had been corresponding with online for about a year now.
Alice made the trip very much against the well-intentioned advice of her closest friends who had expressed their concerns for her safety and well-being. Their concerns were valid for they already have a very good idea of what to expect in the weeks or months to come. They've seen the scenes play out so many times before. She meets a man, falls fast and hard for him, quickly dreams of a future to share with him, but alas, always ends up losing him. Not a few times have tears streamed endlessly down her pretty face whenever her relationships come to a sad and bitterly disappointing end.
Her situation raises some questions. When it comes to love, how, where and when do we find THE ONE? I've been on several relationships myself in the many years I've been on this earth. But to this day, and based on personal experience, I still do not really know the answers to those questions. Nor will I even try to find them.
Alice is such a sweet and pretty girl. She's funny and there's never a dull moment with her. Many a man would love to love someone like her. But maybe, all she needs to do is ease up on things a bit and not to force the issue to find the one true love that has so far eluded her.
There are a million and one ways to find love. Some find love within one's social circle, some find love at work or through some career-related association, some find it online, and for some, they find love serendipitously.
In the end, I believe love will simply happen, at a time and place of its own choosing. And when it does, it will find us and, if we're lucky, stay with us.
Saturday, March 8, 2008
Finding Love
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Diseño por headsetoptions | A Blogger por Blog and Web



22 responses:
don't look for love. it'll find you.
Mari,
So true.
To paraphrase the saying
“Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.”
I would say
"Love is one percent luck and ninety-nine percent perspiration"
It is a lot of work to keep the love alive for the rest of your life...
Mari is right.
Love will find you when you least expect it. Then better prepare for the rollercoaster ride of extreme highs and sinking lows. But it won't be scary since you have someone by your side for the journey ahead. :)
Hmm good luck to poor Alice, hope she finds love!
Some people are just darn lucky when it comes to finding the right partner I guess. As for me, I've long since given up hope that I'd find THE ONE, or that there is one for me out there. Then again, one bad marriage is enough to last me a lifetime of regret.
Sidney,
I can't agree with you more. Amen.
Daphne,
Well, Alice flew back to Manila early Sunday. Based on their meeting in Bangkok, it seems that the European guy was a gentleman all throughout and seemed really interested in her. She told us that he's planning to come see her in Manila soon. I hope for her sake that this turns out well this time.
Rudy,
I'm sorry to hear that, Pards. But it ain't over 'til it's over, as they say. We all really don't know where life will take us. Take care, Pards.
"she meets a man, falls fast and hard for him, quickly dreams of a future to share with him, but alas, always ends up losing him"
I'm kinda like Alice. It's a weakness and I swore not to be like that again. Good things happen to those who wait and to those who are patient. Sabi nga sa kanta "you can't hurry love, you just have to wait coz love don't come easy. It's a game of give and take". Kinanta mo anoh???? hahaha
I wish her luck.
mari above wrote what i am thinking. just be patient.
I agree. Some of my past relationships started out as mere friendships, but later blossomed into something deeper.
Verns,
Kinanta ko nga iyong last part. Sorry, can't help it. Hehehe :)
Patience is key. Difficult at times to be patient though.
Zherwin,
Yup, let love find you.
Mon,
True. You hang out with someone and then one day you wake up and realize that your feelings for that person have changed or evolved into something deeper.
pray that love will find you, not you looking for love. it will just happen. mas maganda ang ganyan. paghanap ka ng hanap makakita ka ng di kanis-nais. :(
Ipanema,
So true. To actively and aggressively seek it often causes us to settle for less than what we truly want or value in the other person. It causes problems for both people down the road.
i hope and pray that alice finds happiness.
alam mo natutuwa ako sa post mong ito.
ako, after one heartbreak, eto tumitibok na naman ang puso. ika nga ni joss stone...
my heart is still open
i'm bruised but not broken
naks!
Hi Jane,
That's the spirit! Never give up. I wish you nothing but the best, my friend! :)
re: the story behind this post which i didn't address
- such a pity. but you know what? some people could relate online, but when faced with each other in flesh, it's the only time they'll find that there's no chemistry at all.
others who have gone far in the relationship would give it a chance, i'm just sad that hers didn't go that way.
sometimes this is a lesson to some Filipinas who are seeking foreigners [we know why they want these orang asli - foreigner] online. their stories turn tragic. only a few really makes it happily.
i hope she'll find her true love soon.
Ipanema,
I hope she does too. She deserves to be happy. She's been through a lot in her young life that we all hope she does find THE one for her soon.
hay. True Love waits. :)
Hi princess_dyanie,
It takes patience and courage, especially during moments of loneliness.
Thank you very much for the visit. :)
Post a Comment