Obesity and diabetes are big problems in the United States. In fact, some doctors have said that these problems are reaching epidemic proportions. Whenever the opportunity arises, I will start sharing with you pictures that will give you an idea of how big the serving sizes are at various American fastfood and restaurant chains.
Let me start today with Carl's Jr., a popular burger chain. Earlier today, I had lunch with my co-workers at its branch in Santa Rosa, California. The following photo shows one of its soda cups next to a 12 ounce soda can:
The soda cup shown above is classified as a "Medium" serving. However, it is more than enough to satisfy the thirst of two normal or average size persons. Letting it stand next to a 12 ounce can would you give a clear idea of how big this serving is. It could qualify as either a Large or a Mega in fastfood chains in Asia and in Europe.
Next, of course, is McDonald's.
Recently, McDonald's launched a new line of burgers called "Angus Third Pounders", a supposedly more "gourmet" burger serving when compared to the average McDonald's burger. Given the product line's name and given that there are 16 ounces per pound, one would assume then that each burger pattie would weigh roughly around 5.33 ounces, bigger than the 4 ounces offered via the Quarter Pounder. The Angus Third Pounder product line offers three variants, namely: Angus Deluxe, Angus Mushroom and Swiss, and Angus Bacon and Cheese.
Unfortunately, such sizes are now the norm in fastfood restaurants across the US. The blame falls on both the fastfood chains and on the customers who patronize servings of such size. One can just imagine the amount of sugar and caffeine that's present in huge servings of soda/soft drinks and the amount of calories and fat present in huge servings of burgers. Any wonder then that a growing number of Americans are obese and/or diabetic? Not good.
Original photo by: Panaderos (Soda)
Photo credit: Slashfood (Angus Third Pounders)



26 responses:
this post reminds me that i am yet to see Super size me, the documentary about a guy who fed himself only with mcdonald's for a certain period of time.
wendy's has the biggie size, mcdonalds and jollibee are also offering the upsize deal but only for drinks, for now. i don't know about the other fastfoods.
i am not aware if the government has a program on battling obesity here in the philippines.
Zherwin,
It's a battle that's hard to fight since people are made to believe that they are getting more for their buck.
Yup, "Supersize Me" would be a good documentary to watch as an eye-opener.
yeah...I think Oprah featured that one time. You know, about how serious the problem about obesity is in the States. Hmmm didn't Mcdonald's address this issue before as part of their social responsibility? I think I saw a documentary about it but I can't remember it anymore. I reckon they made some changes in their hamburgers, you know, made it healthier or something.
But IMO you cannot solely blame this to the fastfood joints. Parents have the responsibility to feed their family the healthy way. Sure, minsan halos lahat na ng food bawal but there are still a lot of healthy food out there. Sometimes it's also the parent's fault because they spoil their kids by treating them all the time to Mcdonald's etc. But what do I know really about parenting hehe
Maiba lang ako...it sucks na wala ng Carl's Jr sa Pinas. I heard they went bankrupt but don't quote me on that coz my source (read:ME) is not reliable hehehe
i cannot resist such big mouth-watering serving. candidate yata kami ng wife ko for diabetes. hers by heredity, sa aking yung diet.
my wife's aunt who recently died had juvenile diabetes diagnosed when she was still 15. her life was extended by 40 years.
Verns,
I do agree that the customers share in the blame too for patronizing such products. The fastfood chains won't have this products stay on the market if there was no demand for them.
Carl's Jr. is a West Coast based chain. It's not as big as a McDonald's, Burger King, or Wendy's in size and reach of operations.
Lazarus,
Diabetes runs in my family too. I don't have it but a lot of my close relatives do. Many a Panaderos family member have died due to complications from diabetes.
In addition, I have a couple of relatives who are also undergoing dialysis treatments as a result of complications from diabetes.
jollibee has a third pounder now (champ na may malaking patty). i tried it 2 weekends ago.
i don't understand why americans serve that much food in one serving. overabundance of food, perhaps?
Mari,
You're right in that there truly is an overabundance of food. They can recall millions of pounds of beef and still feel no effect on the national food supply. A lot of the overabundance is due to the technology used in raising livestock and agriculture. The animals are fed with vitamins and grain and farms use the necessary fertilizers.
That's the reason that food in the US is cheap, even when compared to the Philippines. There's overabundance and thus, more supply than demand. That's why the fastfood chains offer oversized servings of food and drinks.
How was Jollibee's third pounder?
Hmmm...food is always good but only in moderation =D I guess...In a fast paced setting, people tend to think that doing everything in shortcuts would be good for them...I mean eating lunch and snack together by eating big servings? Onga naman...yun nga lang slow suicide...haha.
Hi Gizelle,
Moderation truly is key. It is challenging for to moderate one's appetite takes a lot of discipline and self-control. I'm struggle with it every once in a while. :)
I've seen supersize me (have the dvd here if anyone wants a copy, pinas lang ha) and in all the time i was watching it i kept thinking "but why eat it in the first place?"
Bambit,
Very good point.
Huh? Kailan kaya magkakaroon ng Angus Third Pounders dito? Am salivating already, hehe. Yum!! But personally, I still prefer Wendy's over McDonald's :-D
Rudy,
Hahaha I've tried one of those Angus Third Pounders, specifically the Angus Mushroom and Swiss. Masarap nga but it really fills you up. I had it for lunch and I ended up skipping dinner later that evening. It was a lot of food. :)
When I'm abroad, I order from the kid's meal choices, those are just the size of our regular servings here. May free toy pa. And they're usually less expensive unlike here where the kids' meals cost more than the regular choices.
Can I have an Angus Deluxe and Angus Bacon and Cheese.
Large fries and large coke pleease!
and that is why i never wondered why i always go home to manila a few pounds heavier whenever i go on vacation in the US. greedy for big burgers i am, will order that if i'm there =) the weird thing is, i'm not into soda that much.
that photo of the medium size soda reminds me of the large soda cup over at taco bell, pwede nang gawing tabo hehehe :D
Hi Em,
My sister does the same thing whenever she comes to visit. She orders from the kids' menu and like you, likes the fact that the meals come with toys. :)
There's truly a downside to cheaper food. People tend to consume bigger servings to the detriment of their health.
Sidney,
Coming right up! Do you also want loads of salt with your fries? Hahaha :)
Hi carlota1924,
So easy to gain lots of weight over here, especially during the winter season. And you're right, puwede na ngang gawing tabo iyong soda cups dito. Hahaha
Thank you very much for your visit. Very much appreciated. :)
no wonder why america is the fattest country in the world today, that's according to oprah.
Mon,
I remember a Jewish deli in New Jersey called Harold's. The place was notorious for serving submarine sandwiches as long as one's arm. And that's their average serving size. Grabe.
I may sound righteous but I believe that all that larger sized food would be better off consumed by people who are hunger stricken in other parts of the world.
But obesity naman talaga is a huge problem of developed countries.
Pun intended :)
Daphne,
True. Obesity is a wealthy nation's problem. Having an overabundant supply of food AND a strong purchasing power could be hazardous to one's health.
naku buti nalang dito sa pinas may impending food shortage na, mababa pa purchasing power ng pinoy kahit meron daw strong economy. pero katakatakang oberweyt si PGMA. :D
Bambit,
Isama na natin iyong esposo niya na si Mike "Baboy/Buwaya" Arroyo! Hahaha The Arroyos are a shining example as to why divorce should be legalized in the Philippines. Mike has been a disgrace to GMA, not that she is without faults herself for she has many too, but Mike has always had questionable deals with politically shady characters since Day One.
Post a Comment