Tuesday, April 8, 2008

About Those April Fool's Photos

Better late than never. My apologies that this post was a week late in coming but I just wanted to share with you some information about the photos I posted on this blog last April 1. Those two photos were part of a collection of pictures I took when I went on a Universal Studios Tour in California a few years ago.

The set on display was from the movie The War of the Worlds, that was released in 2005 and directed by Steven Spielberg. The movie had starred Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning. The story was about an ordinary guy who lived in New Jersey who found himself battling an army of destructive aliens who had come through his town as part of their overall mission to conquer and destroy all of humanity.

Seems to be a nice and exciting story line. But there's also a bit of history behind the movie's title.

The movie was based on a Herbert George ("H.G.") Wells book of the same title that was originally published back in 1898. The book was one of the first science fiction novels that depicted an alien invasion. In Mr. Wells' book, an army of Martians had landed in a suburb of London on board what were called "fighting machines". The book gained fame and a bit of notoriety back in 1938 when a young Orson Welles broadcasted a radio drama based on the book. Instead of London, he moved the setting to Grover's Mill, a town that actually existed in New Jersey at the time.

Now, please note that these were the days before television. Mr. Welles presented the landing of the aliens in the form of an emergency radio broadcast report. The broadcast was so realistic that it led many in his radio audience to believe that an actual Martian invasion was in progress. Inevitably, the broadcast terrified some people, drove quite a number of them into panic, and prompted a lot of calls to police stations reporting possible alien landings in the area.

Although the radio program generated a lot of controversy, it gained the young Mr. Welles both fame and national recognition. He eventually went on to showcase his genius by directing and starring in the movie Citizen Kane (1941), since ranked as one of the greatest 100 movies of all time by the American Film Institute.

Back to War of the Worlds. Mr. Welles' radio program left such a lasting impression on the American public consciousness that it spawned two movie versions, the first one was released in 1953 and the second one was Mr. Spielberg's version that was released in 2005.

As for Grover's Mill, the town used as the setting for the 1938 radio broadcast, it no longer exists as a separate township entity. It has since become part of the city of West Windsor in Mercer County, the same county where the city of Princeton and Princeton University are situated.

25 responses:

zherwin said...

ahh, this reminds me that i am yet to finish the ebook i downloaded from the net! i started reading it before the movie was shown and then almost three years later, di ko pa rin tapos!

Sidney said...

Nice new blog design..Clean and uncluttered... exactly what I like.

Anonymous said...

I knew I've seen that scene before I just couldn't remember the title of that movie. He he.

Panaderos said...

Zherwin,

About your ebook, was that the original War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells? Makapal ba iyong libro? :)

Panaderos said...

Sidney,

Thank you very much for the compliment. :)

Panaderos said...

Mon,

Yeah, I felt that I owe it to all the readers to at least let them know where I got/took the pictures and what was in those pictures.

Unknown said...

Ah yes, the infamous Radio Show of Orson Welles, it was the perfect example of mass hysteria... and of the power of the emerging new media.

BTW, did you know that there almost was a similar case of mass hysteria here in our local shores in the early seventies? It was during the early days of Martial Law and if I recall, it was a Good Friday evening. There was a US drama showing on television about the supposed second coming of Christ and the of sudden "disappearance" of people during the Rapture. For a bit of realism, a "fake" flash news report was included in the drama. Know what? People who were watching
actually believed the whole thing! Frantic calls were made to the station (it was the old channel 7 I think) with people asking if the "reports" were true. This immediately prompted the Malacanang palace, through its secretary of the press, Francisco Tatad to issue a statement that the reports of "disappearing" people were totally untrue, and that it was all part of a show. :-D

Unknown said...

Oh and with regards to that Spielberg produced version, it sucked. However, a similar movie based on HG Wells' novel was made by a British film outfit which was totally faithful to the book. It was released the same time I believe, but got little notice in the international market.

Panaderos said...

Rudy,

No, I didn't know or hear about that mass hysteria in the 70s. You got me thinking now of what that show was. Hmm....

As for Spielberg's movie, you're right in that it was a box office disappointment. I, for one, didn't bother to see it. I think I'll just read the book.

RJ said...

anong rating mo master? isa kasi yan sa mga nakapila ko pa lang na papanoorin eh. hehehe

Panaderos said...

RJ,

Ok lang siya. Hindi magandang-maganda. Napanood ko na lang siya sa cable tv. It's definitely not a memorable movie in my opinion. Ang advice ko e hintayin mo na lang siguro sa cable. Huwag ka nang magbayad or mag-renta para mapanood siya. It wasn't that good.

D@phne L@ur@ said...

Aha so I was right. I knew that movie set looked familiar. Although at first glance I thought it was the set of "Mr and Mrs Smith" (the one with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie) until I noticed the wreck of the plane

RJ said...

ahahaha yun nga ang tingin ko nung una pa lang kaya di ko muna pinanood. salamat.

Liquid said...

OMGosh! I am old enough to remember this broadcast, "rig-a-re-more!"

Awesome book.
Good movie!

I think I wanna' take a trip to Universal Studios to see this!

Brilliant!

Panaderos said...

Daphne,

Yup, your hunch was right. It was from a movie set. The plane was an actual Boeing 747 that was no longer in service. The studio purchased it for use on the movie's set.

Panaderos said...

Liquid,

Hahaha Too bad I haven't read the book yet. I only saw the movie. I might borrow it from the library one of these days. :)

Liquid said...

OK, not old enough to remember the ORIGINAL broadcast, born in 1966, but I DO remember a re-broadcast when I was little.

We were returning from our summer vacation to the beach and I remember it being on the radio as we went through the "tunnel" in Mobile, Alabama.

lol

Probably more like 1971, or something like that!

Panaderos said...

RJ,

No problem, Pards. :)

Panaderos said...

Liquid,

Whew! I'm glad you clarified that. LOL!!

But Orson Welles really did a great job with that. I've heard the rebroadcast too on a tv documentary on Turner Classic Movies.

ysrael said...

Yeah.Orson Welles favorite actor ko yan multi talented talaga ang alam ko part time Magician pa siya (pero di ko alam na may radio program pa siya, eh wala pa kasi internent noong 70's kaya limited ang information. You're right Citizen Kane dito talaga siya sumikat, at one of the greatest film of all time sa Hollywood.

Panaderos said...

Hi Ysrael,

Sayang nga na wala pang internet noong 70s. Mas marami sana tayong inpormasyon na nahalukay. Aside from Citizen Kane mayroon pa siyang isang pelikula na maganda rin na ang pamagat e "The Third Man". It was filmed in war-ravaged Vienna after the Second World War. 1946 yata to be exact. Maganda rin ang pagkagawa although hindi na siya ang naging direktor noon.

Maraming salamat sa iyong pag-bisita. :)

Jet said...

Bull's eye! I was right on the dot, now wasn't I? hehehe...

Panaderos said...

Jet,

Yes, you were. But of course, I had to make pa-simple. Hehe Take care. :D

zherwin said...

it's the original one, and when i printed it, i think i used around 100 bond paper. :)

Panaderos said...

Zherwin,

Wow, ang haba pala. Well, I hope you get to finish it soon. I might go out and get the book because I've seen other movies based on HG Wells' books such as The Time Machine. They're probably very interesting reads. :)