I need you like the flowers need the rain,
You know I need you;
Guess I'll start it all again,
You know I need you.
Like the winter needs the spring,
You know I need you.
I need you.
This is a live version of a beautiful song from 1971 written and performed by the folk-rock band, America.
From simple words and simple music, a beautiful love song emerged. "I Need You" was one of the tracks from America's eponymous debut album. Formed by Gerry Beckley, Dewey Bunnell, and Dan Peek, all sons of US Air Force personnel, the group hit it big in the 1970s with songs such as "Ventura Highway", "Sister Golden Hair", and "Horse With No Name".
But "I Need You" is my personal favorite for although the words may be quite simple, for me, they capture the sadness, desperation, and longing a man feels for a love he feels he might have already lost.
Dearest BT, this song's for you.



45 responses:
I digress...........
Liquid,
Yeah. :)
Their songs will always bring back memories of my high school days (circa 74-79), when I first learned to play "Ventura Highway" on the guitar. Too bad Peek had to leave the band at a time when they were at their peak (no pun intended) of their careers. Their best and most memorable songs were created when they were still a trio.
great song.
Wonderful song. I watched these guys in a concert a few years ago and man, Gerry Beckley looks darn young like he never aged :) I got their concert DVD done at the Sydney Opera house - their interview was great. I am impressed with Gerry Beckley's intelligence :)
Rudy,
That's true. Dan Peek left the group in 1977. I read somewhere that he is now a born-again Christian. He even came out with a book recently describing the "wild" days he had with the group. You're right, his departure did have an impact on the quality of the songs.
Fishy,
Thanks. It embodies the saying that there's beauty in simplicity.
Thanks for the visit. :)
bw,
I have to agree with you re Gerry. The guy does look like he's aged well, especially when you compare his looks to those of Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, and Robert Plant, to name a few. Those guys ought to consider playing before senior citizens' homes. Hehe
I often sing this (karaoke!) I was born in the 80's but I like songs from older generation (well not too old). Do you remember radio station 90.7 ??? I listen there a lot as a kid! =D
mirage2g,
Yes, I do remember 90.7 fondly. They did play a lot of songs from the late 60s and 70s. For my oldies fix, I listened quite a bit to RK 96.3 and DZRJ.
yes sad. i always liked ventura highway and horse with no name.
rdl,
They were such a great band. I always have their Greatest Hits CD in my car so that I can always listen to the songs whenever I'm in the mood, which is quite often. :)
It is nice to be in love, no? :-)
Sidney,
It's great! :)
That song almost became my high school class' "national anthem", ha ha! America was recently in Bacolod for a concert and when they sang that song, everybody (of our age, I suppose) joyfully (and I think, emotionally) joined them. My young nephew was surprised!
One of my favorite songs but for some reason, I can't play it properly. I only get till 22 seconds of play. What's wrong?
America's songs are mandatory in a folk-rocker's list. If you do not know at least two America songs by heart on your guitar you could not consider yourself a true blue folk singer (kahit sa banyo man lang).
kaka-intriga yung line na "a love he feels he might have already lost."
Hope all is well with you, man.
Hi Bugsybee,
Wow, your batch's national anthem? That's impressive. :) You mean they were at Bacolod for a concert last year or early this year? That's awesome! I've never been to any of their concerts.
Abaniko,
I'm wondering if it could have been a Youtube problem at the time you were trying to access it? I just checked and it seems to be running well from my end. Hmm. I'm not sure what's happening with it.
Hi Bambit,
No, please don't be intrigued. Haha I just wrote it as my interpretation of the song's lyrics.
old songs are really quite simple:)
lovely template!
i like ventura's highway. i know the beat but didn't know the title until D sent me a copy of the song.
off topic - i like your new template! :)
on topic - i am a big fan of old songs from the 70's. i'm a big Carpenters fan myself - simple, honedt, and heartbreaking.
one of the many beautiful songs of America.
you are a sweet man. :-)
Sakai,
True, especially in the folk and rock genres. The early songs by the Beatles only had three or four chords.
Mari,
Thanks. Got this from one of my readers' sites. I hope it works better than the last one I had. :)
Dr_Clairebear,
Thanks for the compliment. :)
My favorite Carpenters song is "You". I find it to be their sweetest and most meaningful love song, in my humble opinion.
Bing,
Thanks and I've been playing it over and over ever since I posted it on my blog. Hehe. :)
i was singing this over the weekend nung nagising ako, kaya siguro makulimlim nung araw na yun! :D
btw, i love the new layout!
Hi Abby,
Thank you. I'm glad you liked it too. Sorry kung medyo maliit ang font. However, this was recommended by one of my readers. :)
Hehe, I almost used this layout last year, unfortunately, the templates' codes were screwing up my blog. Di yata bagay... :-D
Re the font size, you can still change them. All you need is to tweak the html codes...
so that's the title of the song. i'm familiar with their songs but not much of the titles. =)
Rudy,
How do I tweak the html codes? Is there a particular command I need to type in?
Hi Carlotta1924,
That's alright. I've been guilty of that too countless times. What's important is we get to enjoy the music. :)
Just saw them in concert a few months ago at the Araneta Coliseum. They still rock!
Rolly,
Awesome!! If I'm not mistaken, that was probably their second visit to our country. I think it was in the early 80s when they first had a concert in Manila if my memory serves me right.
naks! okay na lovesong to ah. nice new template by the way. hope you enjoyed your long weekend!
Jane,
The weekend was too short as usual. Hehe Thanks for the compliment on the template. I had to ditch the old, temperamental one for hopefully a better template. I hope you had a great weekend too. :)
i liked Horse With No Name best of all hehehehe
that and Everything I Own by Bread were my favorites then
aaaargh!! reminded me of high school days...
Miki,
I love the music of Bread too. My favorite song of theirs is Aubrey. David Gates was a great songwriter. I love the guitar lick for "Horse With No Name". I think it's one of the most recognizable and original intros to a song.
Another Bread song I really liked was "Clouds"
hmmm... i must be getting really old
i'm into reminiscences now
wahahahaha!!!!
Miki,
That's ok. I love "Clouds" too. Too bad that it wasn't on the first Bread's Greatest Hits compilation.
Don't worry about getting old. You're not alone. I assure you. Hahaha
that's a lovely song. there are many songs i like from this band. :)
Ipanema,
They're awesome. I didn't know that they were in the Philippines last December and did about 5 shows.
Post a Comment