Saturday, April 5, 2008

Photo Hunt: Glass

This week's Photo Hunt Theme is Glass.


This is a lamp that has been with my family for at least 30 years. It was a gift from a very close relative who bought it from a New York lamp store back in 1974. It is an octagon-shaped glass lamp done in the contemporary style. The lamp came with a similarly octagon-shaped glass stand.

This lamp is a personal favorite of mine not only because it's been around for quite a while but also because of its reliability. The lamp still works perfectly after all these years and with the proper care, will probably continue to do so for many more years.

28 responses:

docemdy said...

Sentimental find...

Happy hunting!

 gmirage said...

Wow, you seem to have a lovely interior! Great post...happy weekend!

ipanema said...

hey, welcome to the Hunt! love that lamp! :)

Anonymous said...

nice fixture :)

ZAM said...

Lovely. there was a time in my life when I got addcited to collecting anything octagonal in shape. Plates. Glasses. Whatnots.
I sure would love an octangonal lamp too.
:-)

Write From Karen said...

That is COOL!! I love that and could totally see that in our house. It really does look like something from the '70's. Love the matching stand.

Write From Karen

rdl said...

Cool!

Andree said...

that is a very unusual lamp, and I have never seen one like it. I like it a lot!

Sarge Charlie said...

very nice lamp

Unknown said...

Question: Do you live alone? If you do, man, you sure keep a tidy house. Or is it just that corner? Haha :-D

Have a great weekend, Pards.

Panaderos said...

Em,

Thanks. I tend to get attached to things that have been around the house for years.

Panaderos said...

Mirage2g,

Thanks for the compliment. :)

Panaderos said...

Ipanema,

I love it too. It has a soft light effect that helps make for relaxing evenings. :)

Panaderos said...

Mari,

You ought to meet the man who bought it. Naks!

Panaderos said...

Zam,

Thanks for the compliment. I need to ask my relative as to where he got it. I hope he still remembers.

Thanks for the visit.

Panaderos said...

Karen,

Yes, it does look so 70s. I like the modern design, functionality, and the reliability.

Thanks for the visit!

Panaderos said...

Hi rdl,

Thanks. I enjoy reading a book or magazine next to it on a quiet Friday or Saturday evening. So relaxing. :)

Panaderos said...

Andree,

Thank you. I didn't see anything life it before and I haven't seen anything like it since.

Panaderos said...

Sarge Charlie,

Sir, thank you, sir! :)

Thanks again for the visit.

Panaderos said...

Rudy,

Yes, I do live alone and yes, it is just that corner. Hahaha

Seriously, I try to keep my house tidy but within what my schedule would allow. One thing I can tell you is that it's still not up to the standards of my father and his siblings who are neatness freaks around the house. Hehehe

Anonymous said...

OMG, that reminds me of a lamp we had in the early 80s. Almost exactly the same but the base was round, not octagon-shaped. in fact, it was a gift to my mom from my Ninang who's a dietitian in New York! She must have bought it from the same place. It didn't have a pedestal though.

Unfortunately, I broke it many years ago, toppled over when my brother and I were playing in the living room.

Panaderos said...

Mon,

Wow! Your Ninang probably got it from the exact same store my uncle got it from in the mid-1970s. That's so cool! Hahaha

Small world, isn't it? :)

carlotta1924 said...

very beautiful lamp. hope it lasts for a much longer time. =)

Panaderos said...

Carlotta1924,

I hope so too. I love that lamp because I also use it as reading lamp on weekends. It has a soft lighting and thus is very relaxing.

ALiNe said...

Wow... Modern antique... very lovely

Panaderos said...

Hi aline,

Thank you very much for the compliment. :)

Thanks for the visit too. Very much appreciated.

TeacherJulie said...

What a lovely lamp, Panaderos, at in fairness, ang linis ng corner na yan, lol!

On a different note, I read about your Bataan Day entry, so sad, that this was not celebrated on its correct date. Well, only in the Philippines where holidays are moved. Kulang na nga banefits nilang mga vets, then this has to happen pa. The Veterans Hospital is going to be relocated, I have seen the banners of protests. Maybe they are gonna lease the land to SM.

Just in case, this is my blog:
T.Julie

Panaderos said...

Julie,

Thanks for the compliment on the lamp.

Like you, ayoko rin na binabago nila ang mga petsa, especially if it's just for convenience. I'd rather mark the day on the date itself. I think doing otherwise dishonors the memory of those people who died for us.

I wonder where they are planning to move Veterans Hospital? If they are moving it, then they should build a modern and better facility for the sake of people who rendered a lot of sacrifices for the country.