Friday, April 11, 2008

Photo Hunt: Twist(ed)

This week's Photo Hunt Theme is Twist(ed).


The picture above is a rendering of the famous Lombard Street in San Francisco, also known as the "most crooked street in the world". I took this picture at Legoland in Carlsbad, California a few years ago. It was one of a number of city dioramas on display made entirely of Lego bricks. The other cities represented were New Orleans, Washington D.C., and New York City.

The photo above shows the actual world-famous Lombard Street. The street is constructed out of bricks with beautiful flowers lining both its sides. It's one of the popular tourist attractions in the city by the bay.

Photo credit: SFTravel.com (Actual Lombard Street Photo)

40 responses:

rdl said...

Cool!!

Panaderos said...

rdl,

Thanks! Have a great weekend! :)

Napaboaniya.Elaine Ling said...

Nice twisted road! I wonder if drivers will get dizzy.. :P

Panaderos said...

Napaboaniya,

I have driven to that street a couple of times. I must admit that I did get a bit dizzy the first time I drove through it. :)

Thanks for the visit!

TeacherJulie said...

P, that is a very nice interpretation for the theme. I would probably get dizzy on the street :)

Have a great weekend!


T.Julie

jmb said...

I have heard of the street and seen it in movies. Imagine a lego interpretation of the place, that must have been interesting to see.
Thanks for the visit and have a great weekend.

 gmirage said...

wow! The diorama is really cool! I bet the real thing would make even the tough people dizzy! =) Happy weekend to you, but I bet I'll be here on your page again tomorrow hehe...

D@phne L@ur@ said...

That's a nice miniature Legoland interpretation of that crooked street in San Francisco.

Is the real street really that crooked? It looks like only a toy car can navigate through it. Although I can clearly see from the second picture, it is possible :)

maiylah said...

I wouldn't have known that the first shot was made out of lego bricks! really cool! great take for this week's theme! :)

MaR said...

Such a beautiful take on the theme and just perfect!

Happy PH and happy weekend!
Mar

Panaderos said...

Julie,

Oh I did get quite dizzy the first time I drove through it. Thanks. :)

Panaderos said...

jmb,

Yes, it was indeed a very interesting site. I had to stay and admire it for a good 10 minutes or so.

Thanks for the visit, too. :)

Panaderos said...

Hi Daphne,

Yes, the real street is really that crooked and that's the reason why it was designated as a one-way street. It's not really that difficult to drive through it because there's a speed limit that forces drivers to slow down.

Have a good weekend!

Panaderos said...

Hi maiylah,

The photo can really fool people for a few minutes. :) Thanks for the visit.

Panaderos said...

Mirage2g,

If one attempts to drive through that street a bit fast, then yes, one could get dizzy. One really has to slow down not just for safety reasons but also to enjoy and admire the beautiful flowers on both sides of the street.

Happy weekend and see you tomorrow. Hahaha :)

Panaderos said...

Mar,

Thank you for the compliment and the visit. Have a great weekend!

Sarge Charlie said...

nice photos, i have seen this in movies but never a photo. cool

Panaderos said...

Sarge Charlie,

Thank you. :) I just wish that the day was a lot sunnier when I took the photo.

Unknown said...

Nice twisted road! Great take.

Hootin Anni said...

Which reminds me....never drive a manual shift car in San Francisco!!! LOL



I'm Twisted! Drop by if you can. Happy Hunting.

Anonymous said...

we have never been to san fran but my colleagues over there said dun expect to be able to wear high heels walking on the streets.... ;)

Pearl - happy hunting

Panaderos said...

John,

Thanks a lot for the compliment and for the visit. :)

Panaderos said...

Hootin' Anni,

Hahaha That's so true. It'll be hell driving through SFO using manual shift.

I'll certainly stop by. Thanks for the visit. :)

Panaderos said...

Pato & Pearl,

Pretty much all the streets are on an incline and thus, it would really be tough for a woman to walk on them on high-heeled shoes.

Thanks for the visit. :)

ellen b. said...

Love your choice for twisted. the lego depiction is great. I've actually gone down Lombard St. It really is quite the tourist attraction. I wouldn't drive a stick shift in San Francisco either and that's why I don't like to drive one in Seattle. Same kind of steep roads but it's not a problem in most of Southern California...

Carver said...

Beautiful shots of Lombard Street. Perfect for the twisted theme.

bing said...

that real? why did they make that kind of a road? made me feel dizzy he he

Panaderos said...

Hi Ellen B.,

Thank you. Finally, I have a reader from Seattle! :)

Seattle is one city I'd love to visit someday. Some friends of mine who've been there love it.

Thanks for the visit. :)

Panaderos said...

Carver,

Thanks. :)

Panaderos said...

Bing,

Yes, it's real. It's a section of Lombard Street. City Engineers decided to make it "crooked" back in 1922 to provide a "break" or relief from the street's rather steep slope. Inadvertently, they ended up creating a tourist attraction.

I hope you and the family are having a great weekend! :)

Andree said...

No way! That is all legos? That is so awesome! Thank you for sharing.

http://meeyauw.blogspot.com/2008/04/photo-hunters-twist-on-turkeys.html

Panaderos said...

Andree,

Yes sir, they are. :) I was awed too the moment I saw that display and the others.

Thanks for the visit. :)

jane said...

sarap i zoom zoom zoom ni bruce diyan, mr. baker. kaya lang ang layo.

hope your weekend's going great so far.

Panaderos said...

Jane,

Definitely. Puwede pa ngang paliparin si Bruce sa ibang mga kalye doon eh. Nice! Exciting!! :)

Teka, anong malayo? Just get on I-80 and keep heading west. It will take you all the way to San Francisco. You should be able to make it in 2 or 3 days. Hehe

I'm enjoying the warm weather so far. Driving down to Maryland tomorrow though. :)

Heart of Rachel said...

Those are wonderful shots of the famous crooked street. My brother has been there before and he told me that it was quite an experience to drive there.

Panaderos said...

Hi Heart of Rachel,

Necessity's the motherhood of invention, as they say. To combat the steep slope, the engineers came up with the idea of making the street crooked to slow cars down.

Thanks for the visit. :)

ipanema said...

yes, that's really crooked! i was thinking that drifting would be a good way to drive here. :)


thanks for the visit! :)

Panaderos said...

Ipanema,

I should try "drifting" the next time I'm there. :)

emotera said...

nice shots...cool!!!

Panaderos said...

Emoterang Nurse,

Thank you and thanks for the visit. :)