Monday, April 7, 2008

A Man of My Town's New Look

I switched to a new template earlier today. Thanks to one of my dear readers, Fence, who maintains a tech blog on the side, I was finally able to find a template I really liked. Actually, I was ready to do the download early this morning but hesitated a bit because I needed some validation and support for my selection from my beloved SO. (Naks!) But once she gave it her seal of approval, download it I immediately did.

My old template was quite temperamental, to say the least. It was one of those classic Blogger templates. I picked it because I liked the simplicity of the design. Plus, I was new to blogging and was in a bit of a rush to come up with a template for my blog. In short, I didn't really know any better. I had assumed, wrongly, that any blogger template out there would work perfectly. And if it did not, that I would only have minimal problems at the most.

Well, work perfectly it certainly did not. Whenever I posted a new entry, I always ended up spending quite a bit of time fixing its format. I always had problems with spacing in between paragraphs and with the spacing in between lines within a paragraph. I also had problems posting pictures. More often than not, once the pictures were posted, the template failed to set up a proper and working hyperlink in Blogger. As a result, a reader won't be able to enlarge a photo once he/she clicked on it.

Looking at the bright side, I got to learn some basic programming commands in Html. It was born out of my desperation and desire to make sure that my blog entries were properly formatted once they got posted. Thus, I learned Html on a "trial and error" basis.

Well this new template is called Arbol. The simplicity of its design and nice choice of colors and fonts makes it easy on the eye. It was indeed "Very Zen", according to Fence in his write-up about this particular template. The only challenge was that since it was designed by Spaniards, the variable names and variable descriptions on the template's Html code were all in Spanish. Thank heavens that 300 years of Spanish colonization still left me with some understanding of the Spanish language within my diluted Filipino genes. Thus, I was able to figure things out within a few minutes and was able to make the necessary tweaks to the code.

I hope this template works and I hope that it will remain as my blog's "look" for quite a while. Thanks again, Fence.

33 responses:

princess_dyanie said...

a simple yet refreshing template.. with matching tree and a bench hehehe ;)

 gmirage said...

Oh nice! I've seen this template but just once, from Norwich Daily Photo...

I've been messing a lot wiht templates...I even created a testblog which I just mess the templates and then google locked it lol. I use only the minima layout and then I changed the colors and all that, but I really hope hubby could sit down and fix them. refreshing look btw!

Panaderos said...

Princess_Dyanie,

Thank you. I had to wait for the tree to grow and the bench to be made before I was able to make them part of the template. Hehe Take care. :)

Panaderos said...

mirage2g,

Thanks! I liked the colors and the simplicity. It has a serene feel to it. Naks! Ingat. :)

Miki said...

waw. ganda ng template.
di ba nabura mga add-ons mo when you switched?
yung sa akin kasi, nawala lahat
so i had to reconstruct them
huhuhuhu

Panaderos said...

Miki,

I also lost most of my add-ons. The only ones that remained where my links to the blogs. Thus, I had to list down my add-ons and reconstruct. Matrabaho. It took me a good part of the day para makumpleto lahat.

Panaderos said...

Liquid,

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. I got sick of the old template because it required quite a bit of work and reformatting just to post an entry. Take care. :)

Anonymous said...

this temp is easy on the eyes. plus, i like the combination of colors.

Panaderos said...

Mari,

Very good choice. :)

lethalverses said...

great blog, mr panadero...

and what can i say, I'm impressed with how you write. I hope I can write as well as you do.

patambay dito.

Panaderos said...

Hi Lethalverses,

Thank you very much for the compliment. You're welcome to visit here anytime, Pards. Thanks for the visit.

Anonymous said...

ive always believed that searching for the perfect template is like searching for the perfect guy. its that elusive. gone are the days when i would go OC and download tons of wordpress themes. ive gone soft i guess. i wanted to think then that a nice theme would compensate for my pots showinng my blond moments, guess not.

Unknown said...

Hmm, I swear I posted a comment i here yesterday. Where did it go??

Anyways, I was saying... I tried this layout once last year, but the template's codes were messing up the entire blog, so I ditched it. Sayang, I loved the look of the header pa naman.

Panaderos said...

Hi Chelseamarie,

How are you? It did take me a while to find a template to my liking. I browsed through several sites to find one that would not only appeal to me designwise but one that would also be appropriate, more or less, to the overall theme of my blog. It took me a month of searching, oftentimes with the help of my SO, before I found one that I could work with.

Thank you very much for the visit. Take care. :)

Panaderos said...

Rudy,

Yes you did post a comment yesterday but it was under my post called "I Need You" about the group America.

That's alright, Pards. No problem.

zherwin said...

i like the color, napaka-simple. and the touch of blue was so clean. very zen, indeed.

Javi said...

I was actually wondering how come not many folks are using this template. Good choice Pan, and thanks for the plug!

docemdy said...

I like the new template too! Clean and refreshing.

Lazarus said...

new look ah! but it seems like nothing has changed.

Anonymous said...

I like your new look, very refreshing. They say it's advisable to change the look of one's blog regularly. I've already changed my template twice in the past twelve months.

Anonymous said...

nice spare zen template...
goes with your personality hehe...

Panaderos said...

Zherwin,

Thanks! I agree that the choice of colors and their shades blended perfectly for that zen-like feel.

Panaderos said...

Javi,

I'm wondering if it's all those Spanish variables within the HTML code were throwing prospective users off. Those were just the variables anyway though. The actual HTML commands/code were still in English and thus, could still have been dealt with.

Anyway, the pleasure's all mine, Pards. Giving your site a plug was the least I could do to thank you for providing your thoughts and inputs on great templates that are out there. Thanks. :)

Panaderos said...

Hi Em,

Thanks. I love that feel to it. :)

Panaderos said...

Lazarus,

New look indeed. The content and all the add-ons, except for the clock, are all still here.

Panaderos said...

Mon,

Thank you, Pards. I'm glad you liked it too.

Panaderos said...

MegaMom,

Hahaha Spot on! Bilib ako!! That was very perceptive of you. :) The template does fit my personality almost to a T. Initially, I was looking for a template with some sort of city or town scenery on its header. But I couldn't find one to my liking.

And then I saw this template yesterday and aside from the colors, what appealed to me was both the tree and the bench on its header. Guess what? Sitting on a park bench under a shady tree has always been one of the simple joys in life that I indulge in. To this day, whenever I go to a park, I often take time to enjoy the surroundings while on a park bench and close or under a tree. It never fails to give me a serene and refreshing feeling.

You impressed me there, MegaMom. :) Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hey look, may nakaupong couple sa bench looking at their kid na nagsasaranggola a few feet away.

Panaderos said...

Bambit,

Aba, oo nga 'no? Ang sweet pa nila! Hahaha :)

Anonymous said...

Now that you got the stamp of approval - GOOD ! hehe :)

Looks clean but the sidebars are way down on the right side. Maybe it is my IE browser :)

ipanema said...

hey, i like this. aren't you lucky to have a techie friend? :)

Panaderos said...

BW,

Thanks. That stamp of approval was KEY. Hehehe As for the sidebars being way down, it could be your browser, bro. I've tried it on both Firefox and IE and so far they work fine.

Panaderos said...

Ipanema,

I'm glad you approve of it too. Yeah, I was lucky that Fence had featured some recommended templates on his site. So far, this template works fine.