Saturday, April 12, 2008

A Life's Guide

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of the easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost, "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" (1922)

I've loved this poem from the very moment I studied it in high school English class. I was awed by Mr. Frost's genius in the simplicity of the words and the imagery he used. It was like a fresh breeze for it seemed, on the surface, a poem that was easy to understand especially when compared to the other literary works we had to study at the time.

I was also profoundly struck by the poem's last stanza. Although the last stanza has been the subject of years of debate among literary critics, for me, it left a message of responsibility, of priorities, and of mission.

I've seen so many lovely woods in my life. Each presented itself to me at a time of its own choosing. All were very enticing and all, in its own way, could have changed my life in one way or another. Some maybe for the better and some, probably, for the worse. I will never know for certain because the last stanza's words constantly reminded me of my responsibilities, of the need to attain a number of goals although quite mundane some of them may have been.

I had to admire those woods from a distance then, sometimes with much sadness. There are times when I deeply regret that I did not stay to admire them a bit longer. Who knows? Maybe I would have learned a thing or two about myself, things that could have helped me later in life.

But I had work to do. I had goals I couldn't compromise on. To compromise on them, would have certainly proved fatal not only to me but also to the ones I love and will love. And so I had no option but to move on.

Many summers have passed since I first read this poem. More summers, God willing, lay ahead. I've accomplished a number of my goals but at the same time, because of changes in my priorities along the way, I've also had to change or give up on some. But what this poem has been and always will be to me is a source of strength and a reminder that although a number of things have been accomplished, there are still a number of things left to be done.

16 responses:

Unknown said...

Know what? The last four lines of the poem is the original tagline for my blog. :-)

Have a great weekend, pards.

Panaderos said...

Rudy,

Can't blame you for liking it too. It's a great piece of work from a great writer.

Thanks, Pards. Same to you. :)

Sidney said...

The road leading to a goal does not separate you from the destination; it is essentially a part of it.
-Charles DeLint-

Panaderos said...

Sidney,

Thank you very much for that very nice quote. Much appreciated. :)

RJ said...

para pala itong 'bucket list'. =D

Panaderos said...

RJ,

Tama ka in a way. :) There's one big difference nga lang. I came up with my own bucket list at a young age.

dr_clairebear said...

i've never actually put my goals down on paper.

strangely enough, iam not as well-versed in poetry (pardon the pun) as a reader could be, but this is one that i remember quite clearly.

jane said...

ah, great timing since april is national poetry month.

thanks for posting this poem. it made me think about the woods i've forgone before.

rolly said...

I have chosen paths that were dangerous but took them just the same. Call it impulsiveness but what I'd like to point out is I tried to find my way again to that convergent road to take the other path. Ay teka, The road not taken pala yun. hahaha

As regards this poem, we must remember to honor our promises regardless of whatever hindrance, say a more enticing activity.

Panaderos said...

Dr_Clairebear,

I never did put anything down on paper either. I didn't have many on my list anyway so they all pretty much just stayed in my head.

Panaderos said...

Jane,

You're very welcome, buddy. I didn't realize that it's National Poetry Month pala. Now I know. Hehe

Things happen for a reason. You must have had a very good reason(s) at the time to forego those woods. Take care.

Panaderos said...

Rolly,

At times, I feel that I should have been more courageous to stand up for what I believed in, for things I really wanted to do. But, I guess I gave a lot more weight to meeting certain goals and commitments I made to myself and to people I love.

 gmirage said...

"At times, I feel that I should have been more courageous to stand up for what I believed in, for things I really wanted to do." - It is never always easy...people will either misunderstand or just oppose =(

Have you read about that circulating email of a man who was given the choice to cut down just one tree that he deems perfect? He should find one and when he sees it should cut it down, he's not allowed to go back. He saw one but hesitated thinking there'd be a better one. In the end, he wasn't able to cut any then realizing what contentment is =D Good day to you!

Panaderos said...

Mirage2g,

That's true. We sometimes obsess ourselves with the ideal that we tend not to appreciate what's good with what's in front of us.

Good day to you too. Thanks! :)

notsovictor said...

i love this poem. so wistful. it's all about sacrifice for me - giving up the enchantment of the woods for promises that need to be kept :))

i love your blog, by the way :)) i've been stalking blogs to get pointers for my new one.

Panaderos said...

notsovictor,

True, this poem was about priorities, about doing what's good rather than feeling good.

Thank you very much for the compliment and for the visit. Both are very much appreciated. :)