Sunday, May 18, 2008

A Little Lesson 2

Since the weather has turned warmer in my part of the world, I decided this morning to pull the car out of the garage so I could do some serious cleaning and washing. I must say that it took me a good two hours to clear the clutter off my garage and to bring back some sort of shine on my garage floor.

As I was wrapping up, one of the neighborhood kids stopped by for a quick chat. The kid thanked me for helping him out a few weeks ago. You see, the school year is coming to an end here in the United States and a lot of high schools are either currently having or have recently completed their junior and senior proms. So two weeks before his school prom, this particular kid had stopped by my place to ask me if I can show him a few moves on the dance floor. Since he was a very good kid, I happily obliged.

I showed him a few moves and within an hour or so, he was able to master both the moves and the steps. He happily told me this morning that he was such a hit on the dance floor, that he was able to impress this girl so much with his dance moves that they're now dating, and that as a result, he has become quite a popular kid in school. He was so happy that when I asked him if I could take a video of the dance moves I taught him, he was more than happy to grant my request. The only thing I asked was that he be careful because my garage floor was still a bit slippery after the washing I did.



Good kid, isn't he? The kind that will make any dance mentor proud. :D

Which brings me to this other kid I tried to help out a month or so ago. Although a bit chatty, this kid shows quite a bit of promise as a dancer. I strongly believe that he has the talent. He has the fundamentals. I showed him a different set of moves this time. As you will see in the following video, I think he has the moves too.



Unfortunately, the video also showed the problem I have with his parents. I have not found them to be that cooperative and supportive of their son's talent. His father even interrupted his son's dance to ask the kid to make a quick run to the neighborhood store to get a pack of cigarettes.

Were it not for that one interruption, both the dance and the video could have certainly turned out a lot better, right? I think so too. :D

Anyway, and seriously now, the dance tune you heard in both videos was called "Let It Whip" by the American funk music group called The Dazz Band. The song came out in 1982 and was hugely popular in a lot of dance parties I went to at the time. The song was a very big hit and it won the group a Grammy in 1983. I remember that every time this song was played, teens, myself included, immediately got up to dance to it.

Now if you will excuse me, I'll just get my car back into my garage. Thanks.

Video credits: Lejone Ehran (First video), Theqdective (Second video)

24 responses:

Anonymous said...

there's a scene in the movie "13 going on 30" known as "Suddenly 30" in some parts of the world, where Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo and a bunch of other people, including Andy Serkis (of Gollum fame) dance to Michael Jackson's Thriller. Kaya mo yun?

rdl said...

Very cool! you are a good teacher!!!
i remember this song from my disco days. i love to dance - need to do more.

Abaniko said...

In high school, I never got to dance the cool dances. My teachers always put me in the folk dancing group. Bummer.

escape said...

hahaha... the first kid is really really good. his moves are very much like that of jamiroquai.

looks like you can make a career as a dance instructor. hehehe...

 gmirage said...

I believe the story of a kid coming to thank you, but not the part about the dance moves...lol. Gandang linggo! (And yes this post is filed again under humor).

Panaderos said...

Bambit,

I'll have to revisit my Thriller dance book. Hehehe

Panaderos said...

rdl,

Me too. Dancing makes for a great form of exercise too. :)

Panaderos said...

Abaniko,

Tried folk dancing once when I was in elementary. With castanets pa! :D

Panaderos said...

The Dong,

Yeah, I need a another source of income. Hehehe :D

Panaderos said...

Mirage2g,

Excuse me, kaya kong mag-moonwalk. Naks! :D

Unknown said...

I'll believe it when you upload a video of yourself doing the same moves... hehe. :-D

Panaderos said...

Rudy,

Hehehe For some reason, I don't think people will appreciate watching an out-of-shape guy doing these same moves on video. Naks! :D

Anonymous said...

that is so cute! it was really sweet of you to help him out.

Liquid said...

Precious souls do alike!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha. I remember this song. We used to dance to it at parties way back when. Our moves were not a s cool as these kids' though. Very baduy when I think about it now!

Unknown said...

I wish I could dance like the kid in the 2nd video!:D When God gave out talents in dancing, natutulog ako sa pansitan. Sweet and very sweet lang alam ko! hehehe

Anonymous said...

Didn't know possess those MJ moves yo ! I am pleasantly surprised - heck you could be a DI honest hehe :)

Panaderos said...

Caryn,

Thank you. (Naks! Ang kapal ng mukha ko. Hehehe)

Thank you very much for the visit too. :)

Panaderos said...

Liquid,

Thanks. :)

Panaderos said...

Mon,

That's ok. Lights were turned down low in a lot of those parties anyway. :D

Panaderos said...

Luna,

I was present when God gave out talents for dancing. However, He thought it wise to just leave me with the basic steps. I wonder why. :D

Panaderos said...

BW,

Hehehe Let me know if you have any friends or acquaintances who are looking for a dance instructor. :D

Anonymous said...

peanuts.

Panaderos said...

Mari,

Peanuts daw. Kaya mo iyan??