Just wanted to share with you a couple of articles that were published on this Sunday's (May 18) issue of the New York Times. Both articles are rather long reads and thus, I will keep my commentary brief. In light of the food crisis that's going on all over the world, both articles serve to remind us of the challenges ahead and what steps we as global citizens can do to alleviate the problem.
This first article ("One Country's Table Scraps, Another Country's Meal") discusses the amount of food an average American family throws away each month. It says that Americans, on the average, throw away 27% of the amount of food available for consumption. The report cited figures from way back in 1997 where statistics showed that a staggering 96.4 billion pounds out of 356 billion pounds of edible food was never eaten.
The food numbers mentioned represent figures from just a single year. It is probably safe to assume that given that the US population has increased by millions more since 1997 that the numbers of food wasted today are billions of pounds higher.
The article does not surprise me one bit. Having lived in the United States for more than a decade, I've always been struck by the amount of food that gets tossed away on a daily basis. It's a common sight in restaurants to see busboys pick plates up with significant amounts of food left and see such food tossed. And yet, the insanity in the restaurant business is that in spite of the amount of food that gets wasted, restaurant executives still keep pushing for bigger serving sizes.
There's a lot of blame to go around. Not only are the industrialized nations guilty of this but poor countries are as well. In a lot of third world countries, our beloved Philippines included, food get wasted even before they get distributed to the consumers due to lack of technology and inefficient distribution methods. When will we in the Philippines ever start developing and constructing an efficient railway system to distribute food products and other goods all across our country's biggest islands such as Luzon and Mindanao?
Although, the article talked about food wastage, it also discussed some steps being taken by responsible restaurant owners and some organizations to put the leftover food to better use.
This second article ("World's Poor Pay Price as Crop Research Is Cut") was reported from the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) in the Philippines. The article talks about the challenges of battling the global food crisis in the face of reduced funding from the US and other foreign governments.
The IRRI, and other similar food research institutes, became victims of their own success. IRRI successfully introduced varieties of rice that were both high-yielding and pest-resistant that by the late 1980s and early 1990s, the world enjoyed a food surplus. Except in some countries in Africa where drought and corrupt governments conspired to starve millions of people, the rest of the world enjoyed relative stability and security in its food supply.
The problem was that such success bred complacency in a lot of governments. Since the threat of global hunger faded from the front pages of newspapers around the world, the need and urgency to fund the food research institutes faded too.
The good news is that IRRI's researches are still confident that they still have the technical capability to develop rice varieties that could resist future plant diseases and pests. The challenge, however, is to make foreign governments realize about the urgency of the problem and that if no action is taken soon, the threat of world hunger may come back to the front pages of our dailies, if it hasn't done so already.
Monday, May 19, 2008
Some Awful Truths
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Diseño por headsetoptions | A Blogger por Blog and Web



18 responses:
Even here in our poor country, a lot of food is thrown away daily. I see the same scene in restaurants whenever I eat out though not as much as what i saw in the US.
I remember my lolo getting angry at the sight of even a single grain of rice left on a plate. I wonder if parents still teach their kids the same thing nowadays.
I'm always a believer that we must buy what we can eat. I have a tussle everytime I dine out with my wife that even in buffets she tries to put in her plate more food than she can take.
Man the amount of food we throw - even at home is phenomenal. I' like to cleanmy plate everytime even it is violates etiquitte :(
bat nga kaya ganun? ethical daw ang magtitira ng pagkain sa pinggan, what for?
Mon,
My father was also against leaving a single grain of rice on the plate. He experienced the scarcity of food and other necessities during the Japanese occupation and that's why he appreciated the availability of food in adequate quantities.
BW,
It bothers me too when people get more than what they can eat. Images of poor and hungry kids come to mind. I've been guilty of it quite a few times myself. Everything really needs to be consumed in moderation.
RJ,
Hindi ko rin ma-gets iyang view na iyan. Hindi ko alam kung saan nanggaling iyan. Para sa akin, mas masama pa rin na mag-iwan ng pagkain sa plato kaysa ubusin ito. It's just and fair that we only consume what we can eat and leave the others to those who need them.
Like BW, I also get irritated at the sight of people putting in more than they can gobble up on their plate inside those eat-all-you-can joints. My ex-wife is particularly guilty of this practice and is always a source of arguments whenever we eat out.
If you recall pards, Wendy's used to have this salad bar where one can get their fill of leafy greens? Well, inalis na nila ito and good for them too; I've seen young and old folks alike waste so much food by making a mini-mountain of salad on their Styrofoam tray and end up finishing only half of it.
For some people here, etiquette ain't the reason for not cleaning up their plate, I'd say it's more of pride. They don't want to be seen as "patay-gutom"...
Here in America, people are wasteful. I could not believe the food they just throw out. I cant stomach it, it makes me cringe.
And this is not just on restaurants. I have been guilty of it many times in the past, I have been more aware of what can be recycled, reused, or recooked :) Sabi nga, waste not, want not.
Rudy,
Some people place a higher premium on projecting a snobbish image which for me is pure b.s. Food is there for us to consume and not to simply display.
I'm glad that Wendy's has discontinued that practice because I had observed the same thing. People will pile food up on their plates para lang makalamang for than anything else. They would rather that the food get wasted than be consumed by people who need it.
Photo Cache,
It does make one cringe. Looking around at a restaurant, it's become a rare sight to see a plate with no leftovers. The tons of food tossed on an annual basis can easily feed an entire Philippine province or a small African nation. It's awful and it's insane.
that's true! many food are wasted everyday. i grew up with the idea of my parents telling us that there should be no leftover food on our plates (except for the bones...). they say it's like cursing the poor if we don't finish the food on our plates.
Hmm… funny, I thought it’s only my wife’s idiosyncrasy to file food on her plate on buffet settings. Akala mo mauubusan then ate only half of it. Our parents taught us to serve only what we are able to consume and not to leave even a single grain on the plate.
Middle Eastern culture has a different perspective. It’s impolite to leave the table if your plate is clean. The host will interpret it as the guest is not satisfied and haven’t had his fill. Mapapailing ka to see all the food intentionally leave behind so as not to be considered rude.
even third world countries are guilty of food wastage. i echo the views of the other commenters here.
The Dong,
Both my grandfather and my parents were strict about not leaving any food on the plate. It's too bad that such lessons are now lost on a lot of the younger generation. Not a good sign.
Blogusvox,
Some people kasi tend to focus on the amount they paid for the food rather than on the amount that they can consume. Naniniguro na hindi sila malulugi pero hindi naman gaano iniisip iyong pagkain na masasayang. Nakakahinayang talaga.
Mari,
True and that's why I echo my responses to their comments too. :D
When I was in the States, I was very much guilty of wasting food, especially when eating out. I don't understand kc the servings there... they're humongous. How could anyone eat all those fries and those gigantic burgers and extra-large shakes? I think it's still waste if I ate all those fries my body doesn't need. Instead of going to the garbage, they would all go to my fat cells. :) And maybe, that's why a lot of Americans are fat... they eat everything in sight. But I heard that some restaurants are now advocating smaller or half-servings. I think that would do a lot for the wastage problem.
Isn't it a scary world we live in when such a basic necessity as food becomes a problem in so many parts of the world?
Hi Toe,
I'm guilty of the same thing myself. Because of the huge servings, I'm kind of forced to throw the remainder out. All the wasted food comes back to haunt us by way of obesity or disease such as diabetes. The insanity needs to be stopped or controlled.
The prospect of a food shortage in many parts of the world is scary. We in the Philippines should do all the steps necessary to prevent such a thing from happening in our country. Time is of the essence here.
Post a Comment