This song was the #1 hit on Billboard's Hot 100 Chart on this day in 1966.
The song is "Monday, Monday" by the group "The Mamas and The Papas", a group known for their elegant vocal harmonies. This song was written by the groups's founder, the late John Phillips. He is the gentleman with the guitar in both videos. For the information of my younger readers (ouch!), he was also the father of Chynna Phillips of Wilson-Phillips, a trio of ladies who shot to fame in the early 1990s.
Aside from John Phillips, the other members of The Mamas and The Papas were his then wife Michelle Phillips (Chynna's mom and also a former actress), the late Denny Doherty, and the late Cass Elliot. The group went on to win a Grammy in 1967 for this song.
They also scored another hit later in 1966 with the following song, "California Dreamin'". Although a big hit, this song failed to reach #1 unlike Monday, Monday.
Personal issues between the members led to the band's breakup in 1968. Ms. Elliot pursued a solo career for a while but suddenly died in 1973 from cardiac arrest. John Phillips died in 2001 because of illnesses suffered from years of drug abuse. Denny Doherty died in early 2007. Although these folks have long been gone, their music still lives on.



39 responses:
i know their songs since i have a vast vinyl collection in RP that i inherited from my dad. But am not much a fan of the group. i like california dreamin' though.
Happy birthday DB! :) enjoy! =)
i like California Dreamin. this reminds me of how good the classic artists are when it comes to voice blending. my personal favorite is Simon and Garfunkel.
Although "California Dreamin" never made it to the top it remains as one of 60s most definitive song, ushering in the era of flower power... :-D
Oh and if I may add... Michelle Phillips is one hot mama, good thing her daughter Chynna took after her looks, hehe.
Thanks for the orientation. This younger reader only know them because of their association to Wilson Phillips.
Mitsuru,
Their sound was of that era, so 60s. Like you and the others here, I also prefer California Dreamin' over this song. The title just coincided with the day I blogged about it and the week Monday, Monday went to #1.
Princess Dyanie,
Thank you very much. :)
The Dong,
A lot of groups had great vocal harmonies then like Simon & Garfunkel, The Mamas and The Papas, The Beach Boys, and of course the various Motown groups such as The Supremes, the Miracles, and The Temptations to name a few.
Rudy,
So true. Two groups come to mind when one thinks of the so called California sound. The Beach Boys came from Southern California and wrote about the sun and surf experience in the first half of the 60s. The Mamas and The Papas, as you said, ushered in the hippie and flower power culture in the 2nd half of that decade.
Another California group was The Byrds who popularized the songs "Mr. Tambourine Man" and "Turn, Turn, Turn". However, unlike the other two groups mentioned above, the Byrds didn't write a lot of their popular songs.
I totally agree with you re Michelle Phillips. Hehehe
Now even I was just a young boy when this group hit the charts. Got to know their songs from a sister's LP. My favorites were "California Dreamin", "I dig Rock and Roll Music" and "Monday, Monday".
Em,
Hahaha I know and that's why I had to give my younger readers that point of reference. Hehehe
Rolly,
I first heard these songs listening to DZRJ and DWIZ (remember that station) on the AM band back in the 1970s. All I had then was an AM transistor radio, remember those colorful ones that were in plastic/PVC casings? Hehehe
Anyway, I listened to those stations a lot back in the 1970s and it was from those stations where I learned of these songs.
waaah hindi ako maka-relate! hahaha! pero galing ng timing ng post mo kasi pinapanood ko ulit ang movie na 'that thing you do' ng the wonders. wala lang, nagagandahan lang din kasi ako sa mga kanta nila kahit maaga silang nadisband. =D
RJ,
Hahaha Ok lang iyan, Pards. Pasensiya na at medyo music mode ako these past few days. Hehehe :)
Happy birthday Siopao Man. Remember that comic strip character? Mari's siomai post suddenly reminded me of it.
Hi Em,
Thank you very much for the greet, my friend. It's very much appreciated. :)
aaaaaah happy birthday mo pala boss! hehhe maligayang kaarawan sayo. all the best! =D
RJ,
Hahaha Maraming salamat, Pards. Nadagdagan na naman ang aking history. Hehehe :)
Ingat and salamat uli!
Oi! Happy Birthday pala pards... :-)
Rudy,
Thank you, Pards! My life's book just got a little thicker. Hehe Thanks ulit. Much appreciated. :)
I just found out from Mari's blog that it's your birthday. Happy Birthday Mr. Baker!
Mon,
Thank you very much, Pards. Take care! :)
wilson philips was a fave during my college days.
happy birthday again! :D
Mari,
My fave song of theirs is "Hold On".
Thanks uli for the greet. :)
Uy! happy birthday! dapat me handa kang nutribun tsaka siopao sa Kowloon House!
:D
Bambit,
Maraming salamat! Rest assured na kakain ako ng siopao pagpunta ko diyan! Hahaha
Thanks uli for the greet! Take care.
I know Michelle Phillips from all the tv movies she made and was surprised to find out her past life as a singer. It's impossible not to know all the past singers/groups nowadays with VHI and other stations running shows like WHERE ARE THEY NOW, or the TRUE STORY BEHIND... and I am glad for shows like these becasue you get to know talents before your time.
BTW, I love their songs, the ones I hear on oldies radio. Long live their songs!
Photo Cache,
I love those VH1 Classic documentaries. We really learn a lot about the lives of the singers behind those songs we love. It's always been very interesting and informative to know their life stories and sometimes, the stories behind their songs.
oh, ok. I get it now! it's your birthday! hehehe... sorry, knocked a couple of cocktails last night, see. happy, happy birthday! :D
Jet,
Hahaha That's ok. Thank you very much for the greeting. Much appreciated. You guys have fun in San Diego! :)
cool music this is. =) happy birthday.
who was not listening to RJ at the time? So you know Batjay's brother, Howlin' Dave.
Birthday mo pala ha. Happy birthday!
Paolo,
Thank you very much. :)
Rolly,
Thank you. Just got a year older again. Hehehe
Yeah, I didn't realize until about a month ago na kapatid pala ni Batjay si Howlin' Dave. Listened to his program a lot back in those days.
I love the Mamas and Papas melody esp California Dreamin'. It will remain a classic forever - even America sings it in their concert :)
BW,
I love their vocal harmonies and California Dreamin' is such a gem, so 60s. :)
monday, monday - an ole favorite of mine. I did a post of this title.
RDL,
Lovely tune. I'll visit your site one of these days to do some backreading. Thanks. :)
Post a Comment