Talk about a love song with unconventional lyrics. The song's words talk about a man who denies having strong feelings of love for his special someone.
The song's called "I'm Not in Love" performed by the British band 10CC. The song, written by band members Graham Gouldman and Eric Stewart, was released in May 1975 and quickly became a worldwide hit for the group.
I was still a kid at the time this song became popular. I immediately fell for it mainly due to the beauty of its music and because of the way the group performed it. I loved the way the lead and backup vocals blended. But although I quickly learned its words, I never gave much thought to what they truly meant. All I knew was that the song was about love or maybe, the absence of it. In short, I liked and sang the song without understanding it.
I was already in my early college years and after experiencing my first romances when upon hearing the song played on DWRK 96.3 one weekday afternoon that I suddenly realized what its words meant. That was when I really listened to the lyrics and internalized them. I saw the song in a different light after that.
Let me then share with you its lyrics.
I'm not in love
So don't forget it.
It's just a silly phase i'm going through.
And just because
I call you up
Don't get me wrong, don't think you've got it made.
I'm not in love, no no, it's because..
I like to see you.
But then again
That doesn't mean you mean that much to me.
So if i call you
Don't make a fuss
Don't tell your friends about the two of us.
I'm not in love, no no, it's because..
I keep your picture
Upon the wall.
It hides a nasty stain that's lying there.
So don't you ask me
To give it back.
I know you know it doesn't mean that much to me
I'm not in love, no no, it's because..
Ooh you'll wait a long time for me
Ooh you'll wait a long time
Ooh you'll wait a long time for me
Ooh you'll wait a long time
I'm not in love
So don't forget it.
It's just a silly phase i'm going through.
And just because i call you up
Don't get me wrong, don't think you've got it made.
I'm not in love
I'm not in love



20 responses:
i think the "im yours" of jason mraz will counter this song. hehehe...
(Oo)
I love this song!:D There was a time in my life, when I was young and still in denial (hahaha), my sister declared this song as my theme song. Yeah...it's just a silly phase you're going through...:D
Melody wise, a really nice song :) Lyrics wise - a little pretentious hehe. But that's okay, we need interesting songs every now and then :)
So, you're not in love? Hehe :-D Anyways, this was one of those one hit wonders that came out in the mid 70s that get stuck in your head for like... forever. :-D
Okay you convinced me you're not in love (wink*wink*). Love the lyrics. I think I have only recently heard this song for the first time on an oldies station and I thought it was very beautiful.
we spend much of our time in denial, and the rest of our time in denial that we are in denial. :)
that's not original... i heard it somewhere. but i felt that it applied.
hope you're feeling better!
i like this song very much. yup, panahon ko ito - high school ata ako nito eh. ay syet.. carbon-dating na naman ako...
parang contradicting to sa previous post mo.hehe...
i soo dont want to be inlove..not yet.hihi
The Dong,
I'll have to listen to that song then. :)
Liquid,
Hahaha What's that supposed to mean? Hahaha :D
Luna Miranda,
Kuwento naman! Hahaha
BW,
Yeah, this was one of those songs that piqued my interest because of both music and the lyrics.
Rudy,
True. Plus the song still gets played quite a bit in bars.
are you not in love? is that what you mean? he he
kidding aside, i am not familiar with the song. but what a way to tell a girl how a man feels. sounds cruel to me.
Photo Cache,
But I am! Hahaha
Dr Clairebear,
Thanks, I am feeling a lot better na. :)
Ate Sienna,
Hindi ka naman siguro HS noon. Elementary lang. Hahaha
Thank you very much for the visit. Much appreciated. :)
Yvonne,
Don't read too much into it. It was not meant to contradict my previous post. Hahaha It's just a blog about the song and nothing about me. :)
Bingskee,
Hahaha No, the post was not about me. It was just about the song. But yes, I do agree with you that the words do sound cruel because they were the words of a man too proud to admit that he was falling hard for a woman. :)
Post a Comment