Monday, September 1, 2008

Ain't No Sunshine

It's Monday and it's a holiday here in the States as the country marks Labor Day. I'm nearing the end of a long weekend and frankly, I'm not very happy about it. Instead of making the most out of this day, especially with the gorgeous weather outside, I'm feeling a bit stressed with the thought that I'll be back at work in less than 24 hours.

I'm feeling a bit exhausted physically and mentally. I need a real long break but except for quitting the job (which is definitely not an option), I am limited by company policy to the number of personal and vacation days per year I'm allowed to take. I wish I could take and lump all those days into one long extended vacation. But it's certainly not possible given the demands at work. Thus, I have to content myself with taking a day off every once in a while not unlike a swimmer who needs to come up for air every few seconds as he swims towards the finish line.

And to add to my blues, I miss being with her. A short two-minute song the words to which I find simple yet personally meaningful are helping me through the moment.


Ain't no sunshine when she's gone.
It's not warm when she's away.
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
And she's always gone too long
Anytime she goes away.

Wonder this time where she's gone,
Wonder if she's gone to stay;
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
And this house just ain't no home
Anytime she goes away.

And I know, I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know

Hey, I ought to leave the young thing alone,
But ain't no sunshine when she's gone.
Only darkness everyday.

Ain't no sunshine when she's gone,
And this house just ain't no home
Anytime she goes away.

Anytime she goes away.
Anytime she goes away.


And now I write.

This song's called "Ain't No Sunshine" and was written and performed by the great Bill Withers. The song, cut from his debut album "Just As I Am", became the first hit for Mr. Withers when it was released back in 1971. The song peaked at number 3 on the Billboard charts. The above live performance was from 1972 on a music program called "Old Grey Whistle Test", a music show that ran on British television, specifically the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation), from 1971 to 1987.

Bill Withers was a gifted musician and lyricist. From the above video, you could see that he was also a great singer gifted with a rather powerful set of lungs. What caught my attention the first time I heard this song was when he came to the part where he repeatedly sang "I know, I know..." continuously and without pause for a total of 26 times. I've tried singing this part several times but it's always left me gasping for breath. Hehehe

Some of you may have never heard of this guy but I'm pretty sure that a lot of you know of at least one other particular song of his. Back in March 1987, an R&B group called Club Nouveau scored a number one hit on the Billboard Charts with the song "Lean On Me". The song struck a chord with listeners because of its very positive message of extending love and care for one's neighbor. It longed for a strong sense of brotherhood in a time when an individual's needs seems to be valued more than the community's.

Club Nouveau eventually won a Grammy for Best R&B Song. Lean On Me also became the group's first and only number 1 hit. Mr. Withers was the man who wrote the song and was the first artist to take the song to the top of the charts back in July 1972. The following video is a live performance of the song by Bill Withers:


This song remains very popular because its positive message of love and friendship continues to resonate. Aside from Club Nouveau, the song has been covered by a number of other artists such as Al Jarreau, Michael Bolton, and Limp Bizkit, to name a few.

Bill Withers scored other hits aside from the two I just mentioned. His other hits that I count as personal favorites are "Lovely Day" and "Just The Two Of Us". Just The Two Of Us was a collaboration with the late saxophonist Grover Washington (1943-1999) and topped the charts worldwide in 1981. But at the time and for some reason, a lot of radio stations in Manila mentioned Grover Washington as the artist behind the song. But just to help set the record straight, Mr. Withers co-wrote the song and performed the vocals as evidenced by the following video:


Mr. Withers retired from recording in 1985.

50 responses:

bing said...

you're one romantic person..

Cryptomillions said...

oh sooo sweet!

mitsuru said...

kunin mo na kasi. ;)

Leslie said...

Bill Withers..oh yes one of my favorites. And "Ain't No Sunshine" is my second all time favorite song next to Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World"!
First time visitor of your site.

Panaderos said...

Bing,

Shucks. Hiya ako. :D

Panaderos said...

Lovely_ph,

Thanks. :)

Panaderos said...

Mitsuru,

Hahaha Kaunti pang tulak, Pards! :D

Panaderos said...

Leslie,

I was a late bloomer when it came to discovering Bill Withers' music. But once I realized the beauty of both the music and lyrics, I became a big fan.

Thank you very much for stopping by my site and for your comment. Very much appreciated. :)

rolly said...

Of course, I remmeber Mr. Bill Withers and the song. Nice one.

Anonymous said...

the lean on me version i came to know of was that of michael bolton's. i love this song.

don't worry, i'll see you real soon.

couldn't play the vids just yet. i'll try later.

Panaderos said...

Rolly,

Thanks. I was already in high school by the time I got to appreciate his music. However, I still didn't know much about him at that time. I didn't find out more about him until I was already way past my 30s. (Ouch!)

Panaderos said...

Mari,

I've heard a number of versions that I'm now confused whose version is which. Hehehe

I'll wait.

atto aryo said...

ei! this song's in my ipod. i love it! But I have to admit i don't know whose version was it. :-)

carlotta1924 said...

ngayon ko lang narinig yung ain't no sunshine. naimagine ko tumutugtog sya sa isang smoky pub. sarap pakinggan pag gabi. =)

Koryn said...

have you heard the reggae version of "lean on me"? it's nice. still evokes the same feeling of togetherness in a more upbeat tone.

D@phne L@ur@ said...

Well there's definitely no sunshine right now where I'm at. There's a heavy downpour! hehe

But seriously i feel your pain!

BlogusVox said...

Pards, hindi naman sa nakikialam, but can't you petition your "mylab" so you'll be together or its her option to stay in the Philippines? Para naman mabawas-bawasan yang homesick mo.

Anonymous said...

i like the song, too. though, yung version na meron ako yung sa lighthouse family sa soundtrack ng notting hill.

ako naman in a few months ang kakanta nyan.. pag natuloy na umalis si husband papuntang abu dhabi. :(

Anonymous said...

It's cloudy, even when the ground cracks
You're free even when your stuck and out of luck
Encumbranced by peaks and lows, but that's just how it goes
Though we don't long to see and be free
That's just the heart's chart on ECG

Unknown said...

these are the songs i listen to when i'm working or need to get creative.:D i also love smokey robinson's version of lean on me. heto bagay jan sa songs mo(hehe)...

"If I had a single flower for every time I think about you, I could walk forever in my garden."

pamatayhomesick said...

pards,tamang homesick ata tayo ngayon ha...he he he,swerte si mylab mo...

Unknown said...

Hmm, didn't they use the song in that movie starring Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant?

Photo Cache said...

I first heard of that song, Aint No Sunshine, in the movie Notting Hill. It's a feel good song for me when I am in the dumps.

Keith said...

Kumusta na, baker man?

I was singing that song just the other day, and it was the one I thought of before scrolling down, and seeing the reference.

Panaderos, I appreciate your sharing. I am grateful I get to visit your site. Your thoughts are in waves entertaining, funny, thoughtful, and educational.

Ingats.

Keith said...

Peace. out.

Keith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Panaderos said...

R-Yo,

A number of singers have done cover versions of this song. Sting and Paul McCartney are just two of those. My guess is you have the original version by Bill Withers. :)

Panaderos said...

Carlotta,

I like this video because it does come across as relaxing. The way the musicians were set up, it was like listening to the band perform before a small audience in a small pub. It's pretty cool in my humble opinion. :)

Panaderos said...

Penny Lane,

Yes, I heard that version a few times. I like it. It was a pretty good version. :)

Panaderos said...

Daphne,

Hahaha Bumagyo pala diyan. :D

Thanks for feeling my pain. Much appreciated. :)

Panaderos said...

Blogusvox,

There are still some things we need to work on but thank you very much for your concern, Pards. I appreciate it.

Panaderos said...

Lei,

Magdu-duet pala tayo pag nagkataon. Hahaha

Seriously, I wish you and your hubby well when that time comes. It's for the benefit of your family and I hope you guys get through it successfully.

Panaderos said...

Soulsheik,

Those were pretty good lines. I'm glad you immortalized them here so that I can always go back and read them whenever I need some cheering up again. Thanks! :)

Panaderos said...

Luna Miranda,

Great words from another great singer. Yes, there will indeed be enough thoughts to grow an entire garden. Thanks. :)

Panaderos said...

Ever,

Pards, maraming salamat. Just one of those moments, Pards. :)

Panaderos said...

Rudy,

You're right, Pards. I think you're referring to Notting Hill. I haven't seen the movie though and I wasn't aware that Ain't No Sunshine was part of its soundtrack until some of the other previous commenters mentioned it. The mere fact that people remember this particular song from that movie means that beauty of its words and music struck a chord with the audience.

Panaderos said...

Photo Cache,

Like you, this is one of those songs I listen to whenever I'm down in the dumps, to borrow your words. On the other hand, if you're in a cheery mood, try listening to his song "Lovely Day". I think you'll like it.

Panaderos said...

Keith,

Kumusta, Mr. Grocer Man! Hahaha I guess we ought to put our shops right next to each other. You manage the grocery while I run the bakery next door. :D

Seriously, thank you very much for the compliment. This blog has so far been an extension of myself, my thoughts, and my moods. I've gained quite a number of friends through it. Plus, learning goes both ways. I learn a lot from you and the other bloggers here and I hope that in my own small way that I'm able to return that favor.

atticus said...

Lagi akong may natututunan pag pumapasyal ako rito. Salamat.

Nyl said...

life is like that...we all have moments. may you get to reunite with her(assuming that i know the "her" you're referring!hehe!)soon!

Part of life...just continue your passion for music--sometimes it's our great equalizer to find ease out of a stressful sojourn.

Here's a pat on your shoulder my friend.:)

Panaderos said...

Atticus,

Thank you very much. :)

Panaderos said...

Nyl,

Thank you very much for the kind words and for the pat. Music does comfort me whenever I feel so alone.

Anonymous said...

Pleasing to the ears, especially at night. I like "Just the two of us". Your posts just do reveal how caring and romantic you are. Lucky lady. You'll be together in time.

Panaderos said...

WitsandNuts,

Thanks for the nice words. I hope so too.

Anonymous said...

Music definitely cures your blues doesn't it? Take a couple of days without pay or better yet, call in sick hehe :)

Ain't No Sunshine is a great song - I like it a lot :)

rdl said...

yes great song indeed! sorry to hear that you have the blues tho.
take heart blog friend.

Panaderos said...

BW,

I'm even considering taking a month's break without pay just to relax! Hehehe I wouldn't mind really. :D

Panaderos said...

RDL,

Thanks. It's something that given our situation, I have to deal with from time to time. It's a tough situation but I hope things will still sort themselves out in the end.

Thanks again. :)

ysrael said...

Sorry medyo na-late ang comment kung ito ha, kasi my compu is too slow at hindi kasing hi-tech ng iba iba. I was familiar with that song ain't no Sunshine, pero hindi ko kilala si Bill Wither until I read this post. Thanks for the info bro. I had a two version of that song from Paul McCartney and Sting. I tried to compare of w/c of two has a better version, but both have their own distinct style. Parehong maganda dahil maganda talaga yung song.

Panaderos said...

Ysrael,

No problem, Pards. I'm just glad to share that info with you and the others.