I was in Boston a month ago for a two-week assignment. I haven't been to Boston in a long while. Prior to this trip, the last time I was in this historic city was back in the early 90s when I spent Thanksgiving weekend there with some friends. It was a bit cold and rainy that time. It was mid-autumn and winter was just around the corner. Thus, due to the cold and wet weather, I didn't get to enjoy the place that much.
Thus, I was quite elated when I learned a couple of months ago that Boston was where my next assignment was going to be. It was August and it was summer. I felt that it would be great to finally tour this historic city since I expected to have quite a bit of time in my hands after work. Thus, I drew up a list of places to visit and I made sure that I brought my camera with me.
But to paraphrase what Robert Burns wrote in his classic poem To A Mouse, the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry. Well, go awry my plans certainly did. Cold rain and wind greeted me as soon as my plane landed in Boston and both unfortunately stayed with me through the rest of my two-week stay. It wasn't until our last day in the area when the rains finally stopped and I finally got to enjoy a fairly decent amount of sunshine. It was a good thing that I had completed my work on Thursday of that second week. Since my return flight wasn't scheduled until early Friday afternoon, I had the entire morning to myself and that's when I finally got to make my long-awaited trip to downtown Boston.
Faneuil Hall was at the top of my places to visit. I first read about this place back in 1983, in the days after former Senator Benigno Aquino's assassination. I saw that famous picture of him, smiling and dressed in a pin-striped suit with Faneuil Hall in the background. The picture was taken earlier that year when he and his family still lived in the city of Newton in the Boston suburbs. That particular photograph was used as a cover on one of those Mr. and Ms. Special Edition magazine issues that came out right after his death.
Faneuil Hall was originally built in 1742 and housed a market and an assembly room. This Hall was where the doctrine of "no taxation without representation" was established when colonists protested the Sugar Act of 1764. The law, passed by the British Parliament, aimed to increase taxes on molasses produced by the New England colonies, as the Northeastern part of the United States was then called. Revenues from the tax were supposed to fund the British defense of the colonies. However, the imposition of the tax came at a time when the colonies were in the middle of an economic depression. Thus, the tax became unpopular and was one of those events that gradually led the colonists to revolt against the British a decade later.
The following photo shows the front of Faneuil Hall. In the square in front of it stands a monument to Samuel Adams,fourth governor of Massachusetts and one of the country's Founding Fathers.
The following is a shot of Faneuil Hall from the rear.
I walked through one of those doors and up the stairs to the second floor where the assembly room/meeting hall was located. The following is a shot of the assembly room taken from its main entry doors. 
The picture below will show that front and center on the stage is a painting called Webster's Reply to Hayne done by the American painter, George P.A. Healy (1813-1894). The Mr. Webster who was the subject of the painting was the great American orator and senator Daniel Webster (1782-1852) who represented the state of Massachusetts in the U.S Senate from 1827 to 1841. One of the stands at the foot of the stage shows a diagram that identifies each person whose face is shown on the painting.
The following two photographs shows the left and right sides of this meeting hall. They show balconies on the upper sections to allow for more seating and better viewing. 
The photo above and the one below show that the place has abundant natural lighting judging from the number of large windows we see on both sides of this hall.
The following is a shot of the rear section and it also shows a balcony section on the upper floor. The lady sitting by the door is a security person who works for the National Parks Office, a federal agency tasked with managing national parks and monuments.
This last shot shows Faneuil Hall's staircase. I took this photo on my way out of the building.
More recently, Faneuil Hall was the site where Senator John Kerry made his concession speech in 2004 after losing the presidential election to George W. Bush.
This meeting hall was my first stop that Friday morning. My next piece will show the marketplace and shops around this building.
Saturday, September 20, 2008
A Morning in Boston - Part 1
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Diseño por headsetoptions | A Blogger por Blog and Web



30 responses:
When I hear "Boston", I think of Harvard. While the university is in Cambridge, the Business School is in Boston, right?
wow. built in 1742 and it's still there. what do they use it for now?
more! more!
love the photos and thanks for that piece of history again.
sarap ng pasyal i love traveling. siguro i should start documenting na din all my lakwatsa...
bakit napapa-cono english ako? hahahahaha!
anyway, thank you for the wonderful pictures. hopefully makarating din ako sa boston =)
Wow bro, you're so humble. I really like the pictures. Very professional, I feel transplanted for while, just by looking at them. Your instincts in photography served you well.
Ninoy while he was there, although impressed with everything he witnessed, still longed for the squalor and desolation that was his people and was in his heart ... home. (nalulungkot na naman ako... hay.)
This is one of those cities I wanted to visit for a long time. Kelan kaya?
I love the last photo. It looks eerie but has that historical feel to it. I can't wait for you to post the marketplaces of Boston. Ingat! :-)
ang ganda ng old structure...minsan sa mga architecture requirements kumukuha ako ng design sa past building.salamat dito.ganda pards!
Darn, you were in Boston! I could've actually maybe met you - oh well, maybe next time.
You didn't by any chance visit the place where they held the Boston Tea Party of 1773, did you? It was the park that ignited the American revolution.
importante din pala yang hall sa mga pilipino. dito ko lang to nalaman. galing ah!
ganda ng huling shot.
Boston is a very historical city but I love their clam chowdah :)
I don't know much about the topic but the building looks well-preserved. Very nice. Thanks for sharing =)
Abaniko,
I believe you're right. The main campus is indeed in Cambridge. I was able to visit the campus years ago but I didn't get to visit this time around because I was short of time.
Atticus,
There are still food stalls and souvenir shops on the ground floor of this building. The hall itself is still used for major political or city events.
Mari,
You're very welcome. :)
Goddess,
Boston is a nice place to visit. Very rich in history. People are nice and friendly too. I hope you get to visit the place soon. :)
Ok lang with the cono English. Hehehe
Soulsheik,
This was where he spent three happy years with his family. He knew Marcos was ill and without any democratic plans of succession in place, Ninoy feared that chaos would result.
Photo Cache,
It's a very nice city. There is a Freedom Trail tour that you can join that would take you to all the historic sites in Boston. I wish I had more time because I would have joined that tour myself. Next time.
Dyosa,
Thanks for the compliment. :) I'm now working on the continuation. I should be posting it soon.
Ever,
Maraming salamat din, Pards. I hope you'll find this pictures helpful in your line of work. :)
RDL,
The office I worked in was up in Woburn. But aside from the rains that prevented myself and my colleagues from enjoying the sights around Boston, we also worked long hours. Next time I'm in town, I'll definitely let you know.
Rudy,
Unfortunately, I didn't get to see that spot due to lack of time. There's a Freedom Trail tour that is done in Boston that takes people through the historic sites. I'll definitely go on that one the next time I find myself in town.
Dong,
Maraming salamat, Pards. I would not have known of this place if I didn't see it in one of Ninoy Aquino's pictures.
BW,
I love their New England clam chowder and their seafood places. You ought to try dining at the Union Oyster House the next time you're in Boston. Historic place. Great food. Naks! :)
Vernaloo,
The city of Boston and the federal government have both done a tremendous job preserving the site. They still use the hall for major political events. Thanks for the compliment. :)
wow, i just looooove old buildings. good thing this one's well-preserved.
love the last shot of the stairs. magnificent =)
Carlotta,
The building went through some tough times but the city and the government decided to restore it to its former glory back in the 1970s, I think.
Thanks for the compliment. :)
the last picture's a beauty :)
it's so sad. filipinos have very little sense of preservation.
there was once this majestic old house in our province (albay) which dates back to the time when the spaniards first set foot on the land. a few years ago, they decided to renovate it into a modern-day monstrosity :/
Penny Lane,
Unfortunately, some people "renovate" just for the sake of implementing improvements to a structure. A lot also has to do with economics, i.e. how much the owner(s) is/are willing to spend. In the case of people with the financial means to undertake extensive renovations, a lot of thought and sensitivity should be taken to make sure that any renovation faithfully preserves the building's original structure and features.
Post a Comment