Faneuil Hall is actually part of a four-building shopping complex called the Faneuil Hall Marketplace. Once one steps out at the rear of the hall, one will immediately see the other three buildings that make up the complex: the Quincy Market, the North Market, and the South Market. The photo below shows the Quincy and South Market buildings. I took this photo a few moments after I stepped out of Faneuil Hall.
The complex has more or less 100 stores within its four buildings. Aside from the small souvenir shops and food stalls that cater to tourists, the complex also houses big name stores such as Crate & Barrel, the Sunglass Hut, Victoria's Secret, Nine West, and Urban Outfitters, to name a few.
The complex also has a few restaurants in it. The following photo is of a bar called Cheers that was named after a hugely popular television sitcom that ran on American television from 1982 to 1993. Too bad that I did this trip in the morning for if I had done it either in the late afternoon or evening, I would have gone in to enjoy a few rounds of drinks.
The following shows the patio between Quincy Market and the South Market building. It has a few park benches where people can sit and hang out. The patio also has a few stands selling snacks, souvenirs and various other knickknacks.
Another shot of the patio and the South Market building.
This semi-circular part of the shopping complex marks its Eastern end. About two or three blocks beyond its exit lies historic Boston Harbor. However, noon was approaching at this point and yours truly was getting rather famished. Plus, my flight back to New York was only a few hours away. Thus, I decided to skip the trip to Boston Harbor and just hang out in this area for a few more minutes to take a few more pictures.
The following is a shot of the North Market building, the fourth building within the Faneuil Hall Marketplace complex.
Another shot of the North Market building with Quincy Market on the left. I ended up buying a little souvenir at one of the shops within this building.
From Faneuil Hall, a colleague and I decided to have lunch at a Boston landmark called The Union Oyster House. Located on Union Street, this restaurant was only a block away from Faneuil Hall. The place specializes in seafood dishes and was highly recommended by another colleague of ours who lived in Boston for two years. The following is a shot of the front of the restaurant.
The photo below shows a plaque that was posted by one of the restaurant's windows. It shows that this place has been designated as a historical landmark as one of the oldest continually operated restaurants in the United States.
The following photo shows the corner of Union Street (the street where cars were parked) and Marsh Lane. The red brick building at the center of this photo houses another Boston landmark called the Bell In The Hand Tavern.
The following photo shows the Bell In The Hand Tavern's proximity to the Union Oyster House (foreground).
Below is a plaque that's posted by the tavern's main doors. It commemorates the Bell In The Hand tavern's significance to local Boston history.
The following photo was taken from the other end of Marsh Lane. This small, cobble-stoned street was preserved to show the way it looked back in the late 18th century. From this vantage point, one sees Union Oyster House at the far end of the street on the left side while the Bell In The Hand Tavern is on the right.
After taking the photo above, my colleague and I walked into the Union Oyster House to finally have our lunch. I had shrimp scampi served over a bed of linguine. I also had their New England clam chowder which I enjoyed very much. I was quite hungry by that time that I was no longer in the mood to take more photographs. My apologies for that. But you can find more information about this restaurant here.
The following was the last shot I took before leaving for the airport. It shows the rooftop of the North Market building and was taken from the 6th floor of a parking garage.
Boston is a city that has a lot to offer in terms of history and culture. Too bad that I only had a few hours to spend that Friday morning. If I wasn't pressed for time, I would have visited other historic sites as well such as Paul Revere's House and historic Boston Harbor. Maybe next time.
Saturday, September 27, 2008
A Morning in Boston - Part 2
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Diseño por headsetoptions | A Blogger por Blog and Web



24 responses:
I used to see this wonderful buldings over at a Boston Daily Photo, the red Bell In The Hand Tavern is always my favorite feature...the colorful buildings there are fun to look at...
Hope you got some Boston creme too while you were there...(visited Harvard? Practice with the Celtics? hehe) lovely shots btw!
oi, check the little boys video pala...happy weekend!
That is the street where i met my husband - he worked in a bar - The Marshall House - also on that street.
ganda ganda naman. nakakainggit ang well-planned cities. protektadong protektado pa nila.
I'd love to go there someday. So beautiful! Of course, the movies showing Boston add to that wish. Btw, I've included your site in my blogroll. Keep on writing and sharing lovely photos!
I remember "Cheers". Most of its main cast have their own TV sit-coms after its last episode. One even carried his character into their own show, like that psychiatrist in Sheatle.
Oh yes, "Cheers" is definitely one of my favorite sitcoms from the 80s. And yep, Boston was the setting for the show. Looks like you really had a swell time in Beantown, huh?
nice pics...:)
Mirage2g,
That little section of Boston was pretty. I wish I was able to see more of the place.
No, I wasn't able to try the Boston creme. I'm a big Celtics fan though. :D
Cute video of your bunso. :)
RDL,
Glad to know that the area holds some nice memories for you. That's a very nice and historic part of Boston. He must have loved working in that area. :)
Atticus,
Yeah, they do a pretty good of preserving their historic sites. Our government officials can learn a thing or two from them without going overboard in terms of cost.
Witsandnuts,
So far, my favorite two movies that were shot in Boston are The Departed and Mystic River. The latter is an actual area within Boston. I drove by it early this year.
Thanks for the compliment and adding me to your blogroll. :)
Blogusvox,
So true. Kelsey Grammer's show, Cramer, turned out to be the most successful out of the Cheers' spinoffs.
Rudy,
Except for that Friday morning, I had stayed in the suburbs most of the time because that was where my company's branch was located. However, I did have a swell time dining at some of the good restaurants in the area. I enjoyed the seafood a lot.
Joshmarie,
Thank you very much for the compliment and for the visit. Much appreciated. :)
i like the red brick bldg. must be historic.
lovely pictures!
Mari,
Those brick buildings/structures tend to last many lifetimes. Just last night, I saw a documentary on the National Geographic channel that discussed the development and evolution of brickmaking. It's durability is truly remarkable.
Hello there Panaderos,
Darn it. I still say you're a good photographer. You should consider being one. Sa National Geographic kaya? Mataas naman compensation, ako mag-narrator sa sulat mo. hahaha.
Soulsheik,
Thanks for the compliment, Pards. I'm a "soul" photographer, not really a technical one. I just borrow some techniques or shots that I picked up from some movies I saw in the past. Gaya-gaya lang ako. :)
old yet quaint and pretty. Nice pics. I'd love to visit that famous Cheers pub man :)
BW,
I myself wish that I should have checked it out. Would have been nice. :)
The buildings were so wonderfully made that it seemed like you entered a movie set. Beautiful photos. :-)
Dyosa,
Thank you very much for the compliment. :)
napakaganda naman diyan sa boston. yung mga small streets at buildings naiimagine ko boston circa 1700's. ganda! =)
Carlotta,
Ang galing ng pag-preserve ng area na iyon. I guess nakatulong din na hindi sila na-apektuhan ng gyera sa bansa nila.
Post a Comment