This blog takes pause to honor a great actor, humanitarian, and philantrophist.
I first saw Paul Newman in the movie The Towering Inferno (1974) at the old Quezon Theater in Cubao, Quezon City. At that young age, I wasn't aware of the fact that he was one of the biggest stars in Hollywood. I only found out that he was through my parents, especially my mom who was a big fan.
In the many years that followed, I got to know a lot more about this fine actor. Thanks to cable television stations like Turner Classic Movies and American Movie Classics, I was able to see a number of his early movies, especially the ones that made him a star. Films like Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956), Paris Blues (1961), The Hustler (1961), Hud (1963), and Cool Hand Luke (1967) showed the range of his acting capabilities.
In the many years that followed, I got to know a lot more about this fine actor. Thanks to cable television stations like Turner Classic Movies and American Movie Classics, I was able to see a number of his early movies, especially the ones that made him a star. Films like Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956), Paris Blues (1961), The Hustler (1961), Hud (1963), and Cool Hand Luke (1967) showed the range of his acting capabilities.
The last movie of his that I saw in a movie theater in Manila was The Color of Money (1986) where he co-starred with a young Tom Cruise. This movie was a sequel to The Hustler. In the States, the last two movies I saw in theaters were The Road to Perdition (2002) which he co-starred with Tom Hanks and Cars (2006) where his was the voice behind the character of Doc Hudson.
Aside from being a fine actor, Mr. Newman was also a noted humanitarian and a philantrophist. A strong and lifelong supporter of Democratic Party causes, in the 1960s, he, along with other Hollywood celebrities such as Marlon Brando and Charlton Heston helped champion and support the Civil Rights movement. He was also a staunch opponent of the US involvement in the Vietnam War. He supported gun control and advocated nuclear disarmament. In his later years, he also came out in support of gay marriage.
In the 1980s, he co-founded a business that released a line of food products that carried his name. It was called Newman's Own. Its most popular products were salad dressings and microwaveable popcorn. Aside from its products, this company gained fame and respect for its support of a variety of charitable causes. As a matter of corporate policy, it donates all profits after taxes to charity. When he was asked in an interview back in the early 1990s as to why he was donating every penny of his company's profits to charity, Paul Newman was said to have answered simply, "I don't need it."
Aside from acting, Mr. Newman was also an accomplished professional race car driver.
He passed away last Friday, September 26, after a long bout with cancer. With his death, the world not only lost one of its greatest actors but also a man who used his craft and his fame to spread a message of love and respect for his fellowmen. He will certainly be missed.
Photo credit: Getty Images




22 responses:
Newman was one of those rare Hollywood personalities who have managed to keep his private life, private. Aside form his charity work, his devotion to Joanne Woodward, his wife of 50 years is something of an oddity in a town littered with broken marriages. Tinseltown celebrities wanted, but could never emulate the one and only Paul Newman.
He will sorely be missed by everyone, most especially by this single guy whose earliest memory of him was watching him play a Jewish independence fighter in the movie, "Exodus".
RIP Paul...
pareho pala tayo na napanood una si newman sa towering inferno. fave film ko na kasama niya si redford yung butch cassidy and the sundance kid. a true hollywood legend
he is one great file maker/actor with a big heart. Cheers!
sad news :( pero d ko mapigil na sabihin, he's so gwapo. ahihi. ;)
rip.
Rudy,
So true. For him, Hollywood was just a place to work in but not to live in. He and Joanne moved away from Hollywood back in the early 1960s and settled in the affluent town of Westport, Connecticutt. Unlike many Hollywood marriages, theirs was a very stable one.
I've seen bits and pieces of Exodus. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to sit down and really watch the movie from start to finish. Maybe one of these days I'll finally get around to watching it in its entirety.
Madbong23,
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was one of those Paul Newman movies that I haven't really watched yet just like Exodus. I've likewise seen bits and pieces of the movie but for some reason, I haven't had the chance to see the entire movie. :-( I really ought to.
Sho,
Yes, he truly had a kind and generous heart. He will be missed.
Lovely_Ph,
His boyish yet rugged good looks and blue eyes certainly helped him gain the adoration of millions of female fans. I can't blame you if that was how you felt once you saw his photo. :)
I was so surprised about his death. I did not even knew he was sick. Then on Saturday all the talk shows started presenting some tribute for him. A great loss to the showbiz community.
Paul Newman was one real gentleman. Ibang klase. His devotion to his wife - like the other Hollywood man I admire, Christopher Reeves - was really admirable.
He will sorely be missed.
and truly gwapo.. hay... kasing level ni robert redford. :-D
may he rest in peace.
Photo Cache,
Truly a big loss. I still can't believe that the man's gone. He was truly a class act.
Bloggingbugs,
Few Hollywood marriages lasted as long as his and Joanne's did. It wasn't easy to stay faithful given his popularity among female fans but he did it. Hats off to him.
Bing,
Hahaha Baka lamang pa nang kaunti kay Robert Redford. :D
one of my aunts is an avid Paul Newman fan, and she's heartbroken. i saw a few of his moview, love his blue, blue eyes.
sail on, Paul Newman!
Luna Miranda,
He was a true gentleman and a very kind soul and those qualities clearly showed. No wonder then that he was idolized and adored by millions the world over.
He had a life well lived from an illustrious movie career, an enduring marriage, charitable work to his last hurrah as a sports car enthusiast.
May his soul find eternal rest.
Daphne,
True. News of his death saddened me because he was a very decent human being. He gave the world a lot through his craft and his deeds. Too bad that he's now gone.
Paul Newman was such a great actor.ahhh!never knew he suffered from cancer.this makes me sad.:(
Loved the guy and I always associate him with "cool hand luke". I've supported his foundations in quite a small way by buying some of his "salad dressings", foundations who supported thousands of charities worldwide since the early 80's. His charities which is close to 200million dollars will be one of his legacies. Not too many actors are in his category as philanthropist.
Nyl,
I just found out a few months ago that he was battling cancer. It was probably due to his age and nothing else. He will be missed.
Trublue,
I totally agree with you there. He was a generous and caring soul. This world needs more people like him.
Post a Comment