I did a little housekeeping on my blog today. It was getting too cluttered for my taste and for its own good that I decided to trash some of the widgets that I had installed previously.
The casualties from this round of blog cleanup are the following:
1. Google's Adsense - It didn't really make much sense to keep it since the revenues from it are a joke. A beggar would probably make more money in a bad day than a blogger would make from Adsense in a year. Thus it's gone.
2. Technorati - I didn't find much meaning with the statistic or number this tag provided. I link to other bloggers' sites because I like what they write and not for the purpose of displaying a higher Technorati number. Thus, I showed this one the door.
3. Recent Comments - This particular software was so unreliable. It sometimes displayed the readers' comments and sometimes it didn't. I hate inconsistency and thus, this widget is history.
4. Million Blog List - I'm already on their list as #968 and so there's no further need to display it on my blog. There's not much significance to the number #968 anyway since my blog is not the one millionth on the list. :D
There. That's it for now. Less clutter to see and deal with on a daily basis.
Thursday, September 4, 2008
A Little Housekeeping
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Diseño por headsetoptions | A Blogger por Blog and Web



68 responses:
i did some spring cleaning myself. you're right about adsense. my running balance to date is around $2 after months of running the ads on my blog.
Mari,
Yeah, I didn't see any benefit to keeping it on my blog given it's abysmal payout performance.
I deleted several icons before including the Technorati. I think Technorati doesn't include link counts older than 6 months anymore so the number displayed is not reliable. I also delinked close to 30 blogs which are inactive for at least 3 months. I love my site clean. :)
Simplify ika nga. on adsense, thanks for the tip. i'm not in on those things but this was raised by hubby who i believe is tired of seeing me spend a major chunk of my time blogging. so it doesn't pay as it should, eh?
di ko alam kung ano ang function ng technorati. di ko alam kung ano ang software for recent comments. di ko alam magbilang hanggang isang milyon.
ang ang clutter?
:)
never tried using technorati and ad sense. at least now i can see that its not that useful.
thanks!
wow blog cleaning! hmm... i don't have anything to clean on my blog... and i'm totally going lazy.
I'm keeping Adsense as an experiment. I want to know how long it takes to earn $100. I found out recently that dropping Entrecards helps.
I got rid of the Technorati number a long time ago.
I don't keep a blogroll anymore as I monitor posts through Google reader. It's easier to manage.
I'm keeping the recent comments widget as it helps me keep track of the comments I still have to respond to.
Blogs really need housekeeping once in a while. I've never tried Technorati. I'm keeping the adsense because it's acting favorably. It helps that I can have a number of pages in my site so I can have the guestbook instead of the chatbox, music page, foodie's alphabet, etc.
I'm planning to create another page to include links to the blogs that I visit. But Em Dy's idea is good. There might be no necessity for that if you're checking via google reader. Like her, I'm keeping the recent comments to keep track.
Housekeeping is good, it makes us really check what we really want. I admire clean/ pleasing to the eyes pages.
Happy weekend!
And oh well, I've just added the Plurk widget. Never thought I would. I'm just so hooked with it recently. =)
mas malinis na nga a.. though clean naman tingan yung dati.
yung blog ko din walang kung anong mga kung ano ano. hehe. kahit nga labels hindi ko malagyan.. hindi ko din naiintindihan mga functions nyan.. at sigurado hindi ko rin naman machecheck or mamemaintain.. hehe.
Abaniko,
It never really made sense to me as to why Techonari set up a six-month threshold to calculate the number of links to a blog site. There's probably a good reason for it but it somehow tends to drive certain behaviors (good and bad) among bloggers.
Photo Cache,
Try Project Wonderful at www.projectwonderful.com. I think you'll stand to earn more revenues from it than AdSense. It may not be much by US standards but it's better than nothing. Treat it as your own little cyberpiggy bank. :)
Atticus,
Italiano yata iyang si Technorati na hindi marunong mag-post ng recent comments ng mga blog readers ko. Kaya ayun, pinasibat ko na. Hehehe
Clutter? Derived iyan from Tagalog. Pag mahilig kang magkalat, "Kalater" ka. (Corny ko. Tama na nga. Hehe)
Dong,
AdSense may or may not work for you given the number of readers in your blog. But with Technorati, I don't really find much use for it.
Em,
I decided to keep my blog roll for now because it is also a way to advertise the blogs I like and enjoy reading.
As for Recent Comments, whenever it worked, it did help me track the comments on my site. However, for some reason, the software did not perform that quite well on my site. It was erratic. Maybe I'll rest it for now and get a better version later.
WitsandNuts,
Your site does have tabs that really help a lot in organizing and enchancing a blog's appearance.
I first saw Plurk on Em Dy's site. It looks quite interesting. Addicting pala, ha? Hehehe
Have a good weekend too! :)
Prinsesamusang,
Your site looks ok pa naman. Very tidy pa rin naman siya so you don't have anything to worry about....yet. Hehehe
Have a good weekend! :)
Lei,
Minsan pag masyado nang maraming naka-load na software eh nakakabagal din ng performance. And the lesson for me too is to understand what a software does and how it performs before deciding to have it on my site.
hi! i'm back myself! though i think the cleaning i made the past few days was the mess inside my system, hahaha my body seemed to be getting loaded of too much toxins and waste! lol :-)
dati ko pa ngang nakikita iyang technorati sa blog mo, minsan ko na ring sinundan ang link na yan para malaman kung para saan. resulta?
wala din. hahaha! =D
bumenta sakin yung origin ng "clutter". now i know. =D
Good points! I have mine because whenever I change layouts I just copy and paste lol...true though its too much of a clutter...perhaps I'd have it redone and have them viewed on another page na para lang sa kanila hehehe ;-)
Though the recent comments widget is like my hubby (now he's there, now he's gone) mejo annoying, but like Em dy, I keep track of the comments there sometimes people comment on a month ago post.
It depends on the blog how adsense will perform...A gaming site gets faster hits than personal ones, thus a friend who used adsense for the past 2 months had his first pay already...hehe....tingnan natin what will happen.
I saw the million blogs lost on your page, so I joined the wagon lang hehehe ;-)
I like the uncluttered minimalist look of your blog. It's easier to get to marrow of things, no distractions. Blog on.
A friend once said my blog is too dull because I don't have much in its sidebar except the usual and common gadgets. But I like my blog simple, clean and in order. Judging from other blogger's comment, I guess I wasn't the only one who hates cluttered blogs.
I did some cleaning 2 months ago. And now I read this entry, I'm thinking of cleaning up again. The less clutter, the better it is for readers to find what they're looking for. :-)
oo nga ano,yung sakin gulo gulo na..malinis na nga rin yung iba...kailangan!
There was a time when my blog was dotted with a lot of blings, and then I realized that having those things --- aside from being useless --- actually slows up the loading time of your blog, especially for those on dial-up. Nowadays I just keep the statcounter... at least to know if I'm still getting visitors to my site, hahaha. :-D
good to know about adsense, and i don't understand what technorati is for.:D
i leave it all to my son (J Angelo) to do those tweaks, as i am technologically "impaired".
Neuroticsister,
Chinese tea and water are the cures to your ills. Both help purify the body. Take care. :)
RJ,
Sabi ni Technorati may silbi siya pero hindi kalaunan eh nalaman ko rin na wala pala.
Maraming pakulo sa internet. At the end of the day, we find out that a lot of them really amount to nothing more than hot air. Mga nang-uuto lang. Oh well. Part of life.
Mirage2g,
True that some of them eh nakikita lang natin on another blogger's site. It grabs our attention and sometimes, that's enough for us to decide to put them up on our site too.
May nakita akong bagong version ng Recent Comments from Blogger mismo. So far it seems to work a lot better and more reliably. Ang laki nga lang ng font. Hindi ko ma-adjust. Hehehe
Soulsheik,
Thank you. :) I try to minimize things that may distract the reader (and me) from the blog's content.
Blogusvox,
Pards, hindi ka nag-iisa wika nga. Hehehe :)
Dyosa,
That is so true. Less clutter makes the blog easy on the reader's eye. I think it also helps make their reading experience more enjoyable. Naks! Hehehe :)
Ever,
Maraming salamat, Pards sa papuri. Kumusta ka na?
Rudy,
You raised a very good and valid point, Pards. One really has to watch against stacking up too many widgets or software applications on one's blog for they can sure increase the amount of time it takes for a blog page to load on a reader's computer. Readers, especially those on dial-up, may just give up on a blog simply because of that.
I'm on dsl but even with that, there are some blogs that I myself have pretty much given up on visiting because of the slow loading time. There are also some applications on some blogs that error out while loading. Those inconveniences drive readers away.
Luna Miranda,
I'm glad then to have saved you the time and trouble of bothering with those two. You may want to try Project Wonderful. People have told me that one does not need to have an extremely high level of readership to make some money from it.
BBR,
That's perfectly alright. At least you have an in-house "tech support" to help you maintain your blog. Take care. :)
I do have some kind of predicament every now and then and have uncluttered my site just most recently.
I retained the ads. It's for the looks, like being part of the design. As if like real pro site. :-)
Major Tom,
Every once in a while we do need to review the blog's layout and load time.
I still have ads but not as much as I used to before.
i just deleted some stuff in my blog and update my layout lately to make it simple..
live well
laugh often
enjoy life
Ice,
Good for you!
I like your motto. It's certainly a good way to live.
Thanks for the visit. Much appreciated.
Tamad kasi akong magdagdag pa ng kung ano-anong anik anik sa blog ko kaya kahit na ilang years na akong nagbablog ay hindi pa nagkakaroon ng Adsense ang blog ko.
Lolz!
good on you mate. I think I have to do some cleaning myself.
Geeeeze........I feel better even after your fall cleaning!
Um.........gotta' go check me blog for interfereance.
Peace to you, my friend.
:)
very informative... really learned a lot... thanks for sharing... :)
Tama ka, Blog site sometime becomes our second home, kaya it requires some housekeeping. i was also amazed w/ther blogs na punong-puno ng links at mga burloloy na hindi mo naman maintindihan. Hanga ako sa iyo dahil ang sipag mong mag-comment, ganon din naman ako kaya ang bagal ng computer ko. Natutuwa ako sa inyong dalawa ni Single guy, pero medyo napapansin ko mas masipag mag-comment si Rudy sa blog ng mga girls.
Richard the Adventurer,
Ok lang iyan. That's one example where being "lazy" works quite well for us. Less interest in those things would lead to less clutter on one's site.
Thanks for the visit! Much appreciated. :)
Rolly,
I hope I didn't start a Clean-A-Blog movement here. Hahaha I was just pertaining to my blog when I wrote this piece and about my unhappiness with some of the software/widgets that I had installed. :)
Liquid,
How are you, buddy? Some of the stuff I had on my site didn't really add any value and thus, I had to jettison them from my page.
Peace to you too. Have a great week ahead.
Mikky,
You're very welcome. Have a great week ahead. :)
Ysrael,
Thanks. Mahilig lang ako magbasa and that's basically what drives the comments I post. I just think that there's something to learn in everything. Plus, reading keeps my mind engaged even while I'm at work.
As for Rudy, more power to him. Through commenting on women's blogs, he is simply reinforcing the "brand" that has gained for him quite a loyal and intelligent readership.
I did prune my blog with the defunct links, or at those links that are still existing but not active. A couple of them all of a sudden posted to which I have to reinstate the link :)
One thing I've noticed with blogs that's pregnant with Adsense ads is it soooo darn slow to load the page.
It's OK to have ads but not to the point that it slows down your blog !
As for me, I put those widgets a long time ago. I don't have the time to check whether they're working or not. But I do love to look at my technicolor dream widgets from time to time. It reminds of things about my life. Haha
I got Link Share, and they do pay good. Also I got the eBay thing since I do buy a lot of stuff from eBay and it's easier to navigate from my site plus me percentage pa ako sa sales. ginigisa ko ang sarili ko sa sariling mantika, ika nga. he-he.
And I don't care if somebody reads my blog or not. I got a lot to manage to even worry about them. But I do have just a few blogberks since I only add the ones that I like to read and visit.
I better clean my blog clutters too.. maybe soon!
sometimes i missed it when my page was a little less cluttered
BW,
Adsense does slow a blog's loading time. Once in a while I time it. If it's taking more than 5 seconds to load, I use it as a gauge to start reducing stuff on my blog.
Mitsuru,
Hahaha Natawa ako sa "technicolor dreams" mo. Ok iyon. :D
Like you, I've decided to just hang on to the widgets that are of significance to me at the moment. If they still serve a purpose for me then it's ok.
Aline,
Linis na! Hehehe Joke lang. :)
Madjik,
It's not too late to make some adjustments. Do it whenever you think it's necessary. No need to rush it.
Thanks for the visit.
My intuition told me that not much money can be generated from those Google AdSense. You just validated it :)
that is why i never tried adsense! and i think i am going to get rid of technorati, too. couldnt get the sense out of million blog list so that, too, i didnt try. :-D
Eric,
Nope, there's not much money to be made there unless one's blog gets thousands of hits a day. Mine's certainly not one of those. :)
Bing,
AdSense, Technorati, and the Million Blog List are all gone. I removed them. I still have some widgets on my blog but I'm keeping them for now because I still find them useful.
haba ng mga comments parekoy! ako na lang yata ang hinde nagpapalit o nagaayos ng sariling blog :)
Madbong23,
Hahaha Ok lang iyan, Pards. :)
Post a Comment