Thanks to a hectic work schedule this past week, I was not able to take presentable pictures of the mountains and hills around Sylmar, California. The end of each workday saw me exhausted and drained of energy that I was not able to drive around the area to do some "tourist" stuff. :-)
Our red eye flight was scheduled for 9 p.m. Thursday night but we didn't get to leave the office until close to 6 in the evening of that day. Since we had to be at Bob Hope Airport in Burbank at least an hour and a half before departure time, we were all in a rush for we still had to stop somewhere for dinner.
Thus, we decided to eat at a place a few miles from the airport. The restaurant we picked was called The Castaway and is located right in the city of Burbank. The restaurant is nestled in the Burbank Hills and Harvard Road, the road Castaway is on, winds up the hills past some nice homes and a golf course.
The following view of the Burbank Hills greeted us as we pulled into the restaurant's parking lot.
One can enjoy some spectacular views of the Los Angeles city skyline from this restaurant's windows and patio. While waiting for our food to arrive, a colleague and I decided to step outside to enjoy the views and take a few pictures.
The photo below shows the restaurant's patio.
From this patio, one can enjoy the breeze and views of both the skyline and the surrounding hills. However, this area is reserved only for customers who are out to enjoy a few drinks. Here's another shot of the patio this time taken facing the west. The sun was setting at this point.
I took the following picture from one end of the patio. It shows more of the surrounding hills and in the foreground, it provides one with a view of part of the neighboring De Bell Golf Course. 
Another shot of the golf course but this time, with part of the Los Angeles skyline in the background. It was quite a hazy day and as a result of that, I was not able to take a much clearer picture of the skyline. 
Here's one more shot of the golf course and the skyline taken from a different spot on the restaurant's patio.
And of course, no photo of the Los Angeles area would be complete without a shot of these palm trees on the patio.
I had to get back in for my dinner moments after the above shot was taken. There was a cool and pleasant breeze coming in from the west and a few people had started hanging around the patio.
I have an aunt who lives near Burbank and from the airport, I called her to say goodbye and also to let her know where I had stopped for dinner. She said Castaway is quite popular in the area. It is a popular place for wedding receptions, baptismal parties, and Mother's Day lunches. In fact, one of her husband's nieces had her wedding reception there. There was indeed a decent size crowd while we were there and we even saw a group of people who were engaged in discussions with the restaurant's manager regarding plans and arrangements for a coming wedding reception.
I also enjoyed my dinner which was shrimp scampi served on a bed of steamed rice and steamed vegetables. I like this place and will definitely come back to it the next time I find myself in the area.
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Castaway in Burbank
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Diseño por headsetoptions | A Blogger por Blog and Web



34 responses:
nice place. dito ka ikakasal? hehe. have a good weekend, my friend.
Great shots as usual. :)
ang danda :D
the patio looks so cozy!
We envy you for being able to combine business and leisure in your work assignments and end up just as well in your job performance. Keep it up and enjoy your trips.
very nice place... and as Nico said, we envy you :-) he he enjoy, pan, and have a safe trip!
Bakit parang kalbo ang mga bulubundokin? The golf course is obviously lush but the surrounding hills seems to be devoid of trees.
Wow, nice scenery. Manicured lawns and greens. I like the way the shadows are cast by your subjects. Very meticulous!
BTW I don't know ape-shit about photography, but I know a good picture when I see one.
Enjoy you weekend Panaderos!
Wish i was there!! Looks and sounds glorious - good for you - making some time to enjoy!
nice shots! i love restaurants like this---with a view. i've been to burbank once, to visit a friend who just gave birth. but it was an overnight visit and didn't had time to check out the place.
Atticus,
Hahaha Hindi pa naman. :D
Thanks and I hope you're having a great weekend too! :)
Daphne,
Thank you very much. :)
Aline,
Salamat. Nakaka-relax ang view sa resto na iyon. :)
Prinsesamusang,
As long as the weather's not humid, the patio could really be quite relaxing. The weather in the area could be quite humid sometimes especially at the height of summer but fall is nearing and thus, we were lucky to have enjoyed a cool and pleasant breeze.
Abaniko,
Thank you very much for the compliment, Pards. I appreciate it.
Bing,
Thank you very much. :) I try to enjoy the sites whenever I can but sometimes due to the workload, I'm not always successful.
Blogusvox,
Southern California is basically a desert. The water supply here is sourced hundreds of miles away from both Colorado and Northern California. The golf courses and the palm trees would not have been possible if the area was not being supplied with water from the two areas I mentioned. The sparse vegetation you see in the hills are the ones that normally grow in a desert landscape.
I don't mind being "Castaway" if this is the place I'd be at. Lovely photos. :-)
the hilly location reminds me of eagle point in batangas.
Soulsheik,
I'm not learned in the ways of photography either. I am not familiar with the techniques to use to produce the best possible shots. I run on "gut feel" basically.
Thank you very much for the compliments. Much appreciated. :)
RDL,
Thank you. It was quite a nice area. I hoped I had more time to drive around and enjoy the place some more. Maybe next time. :)
Luna Miranda,
I hope you get the chance to dine at this place the next time you find yourself in Burbank. The early evening would be the best time to go. Hang out in the patio and enjoy a few drinks with some friends while enjoying the view. :)
Dyosa,
Thank you very much for the compliment. This place is worth a visit should you have the chance to visit LA or Burbank some time in the future. :)
Mari,
Eagle Point must be a pretty place then. For a while, I thought we were lost because I had to drive through a residential area on the way to this place. :)
What? No shots of the famous Hollywood sign? :-D
Hope you've had a great weekend, pards...
Typical LA scenery - great weather ! You should be in the neighborhood of the Universal Studios ?
Rudy,
Unfortunately, from where we were, the Hollywood Sign was still a good 30 minutes' drive. Two of my colleagues drove to the sign the previous night.
Thanks, Pards. :)
BW,
Yes, we were quite close to the studios in Burbank and Universal Studios in Van Nuys. Probably 15 minutes away by car.
Nice view. I think something is missing. I was looking for the food photos. =) Kidding.
WitsandNuts,
Hehehe I hesitated to take a shot of my food out of concern that it would attract some unwanted attention. But the food was quite good though. :)
what a wonderful world!as a song goes. the beauty of nature...this is it. i like all the shots.:)
Nyl,
Thanks! Have a good weekend. :)
cool place where i would like to spend a few days in, and i'll take photos as much as i want to, then i can also write my poems. that is why perhaps it is a popular place for weddings and receptions.
BBR,
Thanks. The patio's location and the views one would enjoy from it could really get one's creative juices going. :) It is one of those places.
Post a Comment