It's southern California for me this week and I'm spending it in the working-class Los Angeles suburb of Sylmar. We flew into Bob Hope Airport (formerly Burbank Airport) yesterday (Sunday) afternoon on board a JetBlue plane. The following is a picture of the plane I was on after we had landed at Bob Hope Airport.
It was a five and a half-hour flight from New York. No meals were served on this flight as has become quite standard fare for US domestic flights. However, what one got in exchange were free drinks (except for beer and liquor), sufficient legroom and satellite TV entertainment courtesy of DirecTV. On-board satellite tv is all fine and dandy but I still want my food. I'm the type who gets into a foul mood if I get hungry. Thus, to prevent starvation, I packed a "few" egg sandwiches to consume on the flight.
Three people are accompanying me on this trip. I anticipate our team's work schedule to be quite hectic for we don't have the benefit of a full five-day work week. We will only be here for four days. We are scheduled to take a "red eye" flight back to the East Coast on Thursday night that will get us home very early Friday morning. In exchange for such an arrangement, we get to take the entire Friday off.
I'll be reporting for work in a couple of hours but at this point, my mind's already looking forward to Friday. Can't wait to get an extra day of rest.
Monday, September 8, 2008
Busy Week Ahead
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Diseño por headsetoptions | A Blogger por Blog and Web



41 responses:
welcome to sunny california!
I hope you squeeze in a little relaxation/chilling time. Yeah, welcome to the sunny california.
I'd be waiting for your friday photos! I'm sure you'd be sharing lovely scenes again! Enjoy!
Mari,
Thanks. It is quite sunny here and the weather forecast expects no change in the weather through the remainder of the week.
Will send you more photos as the week wears on. :)
Photo Cache,
Thanks, I hope so too. We might drive down to Santa Monica too maybe tomorrow or Wednesday. I heard it's pretty down there. :)
Mirage2g,
Thanks, I'm already charging my camera's batteries at this very moment. I hope to post some photos later this week or early next week. :)
kaya hanggat maaari ayoko ng cebu pacific flights, wala kasing tsibog. hehehe
ako rin, isa ang pagkain sa mga inaabangan ko kapag sasakay ng eroplano. hirap kayang maghintay ng gutom hehehe. =D
That long flight is quite quite a stretch bro. Dang, I hate red eye flights :( but good you are taking the whole Friday off. But if you can sleep on the red eye, you gained a whole day hehe :)
RJ,
Mahirap pag walang pakain sa eroplano lalo na't kung mahaba ang biyahe. May tendency na malula ka if you fly on an empty stomach.
BW,
I try to get as much sleep as I can on those red eye flights. The one thing I like about those flights is that they're so quiet. A lot of people are asleep, especially the kids. Hehehe And yes, I do get a day off out of it without affecting my personal leave days. :D
So it's going to be another three-day weekend, huh? Why not spend that time by remaining in sunny CA? And maybe you can drop by that bar owned by the late Jim Croce's wife and son? :-D
Sa Pilipinas bro, puro black-eye inaabot namin dito. Darating din panahon baka mag-re-red-eyes na rin ako. Nakakalungkot iwanan ang Pinas. Pero kailangan eh. Sawa na sa black-eyes.
Enjoy California bro.
don't work too hard now!
manila to cebu flights nga lang inip na inip na ko.. hindi ko yata kaya yun ganyan katagal. pero kung may food.. hmm.. pwede na din. hehe.
ingat and enjoy. :)
Rudy,
Unfortunately, Croce's restaurant is only present in San Diego. It doesn't have a branch in Los Angeles. Unfortunately, San Diego is a good three hours' drive from where I am. I'll make sure I stop by Croce's the next time I'm in San Diego. :)
Soulsheik,
I find no pleasure in seeing the country's continued deterioration. I was sick of the situation when I decided to pack up and leave for foreign shores years ago. However, a part of me hoped then that I was wrong in the decision or will be proved wrong eventually. But that hasn't happened. A number of friends of mine whom I never thought would ever consider leaving the country have left or are now seriously considering leaving.
All I can say I wish you the best with your plans. Take care. :)
I found your website through monacome.com -- i was wondering why you link to him? Thanks!
5 hours flight w/out food? Hindi ko ata kaya yan. Good for you, you brought your own "baon". As for free drinks, hindi ko rin gusto kasi mapapadalas ang punta ko sa cr.
Enjoy your stay at the sunshine city.
RDL,
Tuesday and Wednesday might be especially busy days. But I'll try not to push myself too hard. Thanks. :)
Lei,
Maraming salamat. Nakakainip nga kaya aside from food ay madala rin akong magazines para mabasa during the flight. :)
Blogusvox,
It is quite a long flight to go through without food. I need to eat something for otherwise I might get sick on that flight. Hunger makes me especially sensitive to turbulence. That's why I bring some food on flights of that length.
enjoy your weekend. at least your work brings you to places like this.
huwat? no food on a five-hour flight?!
even cebu pacific gives snacks on 45-minuters~
Dong,
Thanks. Like everything else, it has its pluses and its minuses. I'm ok with the travel part of my job for now.
Penny Lane,
They provide a little bag of snacks. But a regular size bag of Chippy is bigger than the one they hand out to passengers. Thus, it's still not enough in my opinion.
Jetsetter! Hehe.
If you're looking forward to Friday, I am looking forward to a longer Christmas holiday. Hay!
i love to travel but it's different if you're travelling because of your work, somehow work takes away some fun in travelling (the good thing is libre yan di ba?)
you really sound tired. well, that's a tiring sked naman talaga.
umuulan nang malakas ngayon dito. sarap itulog sana.
pictures ha?
Atticus,
I am feeling a bit tired, my friend. In fact, my back's hurting a bit as I write this.
I've recharged my pictures. I'll try to take picture of the area. Thanks. :)
cebu pacific started the no-food policy here and now PAL Express has done the same. aaaargh!!! i like the food on SQ and TG flights best. hehehe
well, you can always buy the $5 meal box or order other things for a much higher price nga lang. :)
No food for five hours? And I have been complaining for the absence of food on a two-hour flight.
I can't wait for Friday, too. I need a much needed rest. Hope you get yours.
Miki,
Bad trip na ang domestic flights on US airlines. Except for Continental Airlines, the others hardly serve anything. It's become quite common to board planes that have dirty interiors. Plus, these airlines are running on aging fleets. Not good. International flights on board US carriers are not that much better either, sad to say.
Mitsuru,
Mahal na bitin pa. It's awful. :)
Rolly,
Yes, no food. They're also charging passengers an average of $15 for luggage they check in. No food, crowded flights, less legroom, and paying for checked in luggage. The average American airline passenger is really getting screwed.
The competition in the US airline industry has become cutthroat. A number of these airline companies are in dire financial straits that they're scrounging around for additional sources of revenue. It's a very tough industry to be in.
The best airline in the US for me-- Virgin Airlines. I paid $50 from SFO to San Diego. Very clean, wide leg room, leather seats plus they have that revolutionary in-flight technology Red where you can play games and access the internet. may bonus pa, mga bata and magaganda ang stewardess. he-he
too bad, limitado lang ang mga lugar na binabyahe nila.
Abaniko,
Yes, I am so looking forward to Friday and also the Christmas holiday. But it's ways to go before Christmas and so I'll settle for Friday first. :D
Zherwin,
Kumusta na? The downside to business travel is that sometimes, due to one's busy work schedule, one doesn't have the time to enjoy the sites and other things that a place has to offer. I see the city through the windows of a car and a plane most of the time. A lot of times, all I have time for after a long day at work is dinner. After which, I rush back to the hotel to relax and call it a day.
Mitsuru,
I think some US airlines, specifically American Airlines, is considering offering wifi onboard their planes. I often fly on Continental and I hope that Continental will offer such service soon. Such service will certainly help while away the time in an otherwise boring flight.
Last plkanes I flew were China Air and PAL. I have no idea what flying domestically is like anymore
Keith,
One word: Awful. It's not a fun experience anymore. Planes are crowded and there are a lot of delays now.
Post a Comment