Sunday, February 3, 2008

Good Day for A Walk

The sun is up,
The sky is blue;
It's beautiful,
And so are you.
- The Beatles ("Dear Prudence")

It's a nice Sunday here in my part of the world. We're finally getting a break from the Arctic cold that had hovered over the region the last couple of weeks. During that time, the temperature had averaged in the negative single digits. It was tough getting up in the mornings (I wake up at 5 a.m. daily to make it to the morning train that would take me to work.) and feel the Arctic cold the moment I stepped out of the house. It was also tough having to spend a good 10 to 15 minutes each morning putting on several layers of clothing to fight the bitter cold.

Well we're getting a break this weekend and according to the weathermen, the break could last well into the coming week. It's a "warm" 6 degrees Celsius outside right now. The sun is out in all its fine glory. It is making me miss the weekend walks I used to do over the summer and early fall months.

Early last year, I resolved to lose quite a bit of weight by reducing my carb intake and by doing a bit of exercise. Hopping on a treadmill doesn't work for me for the simple reason that I easily get bored by it. I just feel that if ever I need to do some walking or running, that I will be better off outside the house doing some real walking and running. And that exactly was what I set out to do.

A bike path snakes around my part of the town. It makes its way through a number of housing developments, skirts a golf course, goes through a wooded area, passes by a horse farm, and circles a park. Measured from end to end, I estimate that the bike path is about eight miles long, or roughly 11 kilometers. I follow that bike path whenever I go walking and it takes me about a couple of hours to cover the whole distance. The area is quite hilly; the path rising in certain sections and sloping downward in others. Needless to say I work off a good amount of sweat walking it especially in the summer months.

The results from my walking were immediately felt and noticed. I lost close to 20 pounds in three months. My waistline lost a good couple of inches. Old pants that had been relegated to the back of my closet were pressed back to active service. The same with old shirts.

However, with the onset of winter I was worried that I might gain back a lot of the weight I lost. I felt that the cold would force me to stay indoors and cut back on a lot of the activity I had gotten used to. I also felt that I might lose control over my diet and start overeating again.

Well, I'm happy to say that so far that hasn't happened. Though I haven't walked the last month or so, my weight has managed to hold steady. My control over my diet has held. I'm especially proud of the fact that I had managed to stay disciplined with my diet through the Christmas holidays. It's been 10 months since I started this combination of mild diet control and exercise and I must say that I feel a lot better and a lot lighter. Gone is the old bloated feeling that I had. I just hope that I would be able to maintain this control and discipline moving forward.

So folks if you won't mind, I'll just take a nice and much-needed long walk outside. Have a great day.

20 responses:

Unknown said...

Were it not for the heat, dirt and grime --- not to mention those street vendors --- walking around my neighborhood would have been enjoyable.

In describing your part of the town it's obvious you live in a "burb"... :-)

Panaderos said...

Hahaha It is a "burb" but the price I pay for it is that my two-hour daily commute to work can be quite hellish at times.

Miki said...

"...a warm 6 degrees Celsius.." are you kidding? hehehehe. this morning i did my usual walk on the shores of the Pacific and boy, was it great!

same here. can't stand treadmills. two minutes tops and i quit.

Anonymous said...

You're spot on in your weight loss strategy bro. I lost 15 lbs myself and have a treadmill at home too but I find that walking inside a large mall for an hour or so does help. This weekend I shoveled snow four times during the snowstorm and boy did I get a real achy workout hehe :)

Panaderos said...

Miki,

Hahaha Pards, I'm so desparate for warmer weather where I am that anything over freezing is "warm" right now. Hahaha

I'm glad I'm not alone with my disdain for treadmills. Hahaha Walking outside and seeing sights makes the activity a lot more interesting and engaging.

Panaderos said...

BW,

Pards, you guys got hit with that arctic storm, right? The Midwest US got hit real hard too. Glad to know that you and the family are safe in spite of the aching back. :)

It's quite a challenge to maintain one's weight during the cold season. As you said, shovelling snow or walking around a mall make quite a difference instead of just staying at home.

ipanema said...

some are so blessed with fast metabolism that shedding a pound or two isn't a problem.

walking is one of the best exercise. enjoy your walk! :)

docemdy said...

Yes, the treadmill can get pretty boring but not when there's a good movie showing. That's what keeps me at it the times that I go to the gym. Those times are few and far between. I know I should do more. Thanks for the reminder.

Abaniko said...

6 degrees is way too cold for me. That's why I hate living in a place that snows. I might die of hypothermia there. :)

Panaderos said...

Hi Ipanema,

Thanks. I think my metabolism improved when I started walking. Prior to that, I always felt bloated even long after finishing a meal. That feeling's gone now. And yes, I did enjoy my walk today.

Panaderos said...

Hi Em,

You're very welcome. I didn't bother investing in a treadmill because based on my experience with a stationary bike, I knew that I'd be bored with it too.

Panaderos said...

Hi Abaniko,

This is where I ended up so I have to deal with it for now. I plan to move to a warmer state someday though. :)

Anonymous said...

you look great.

Panaderos said...

Thanks ... but wait a minute, have we met?

Ramon Jose said...

you're lucky to have a bike path like that. I wish there was one near our house but all we have here are flat, straight streets - boring!

I used to find using the treadmill boring too until I positioned it in front of the TV. now, if there was a way to install a laptop on that machine, that would be an exercise I can do all day!

Panaderos said...

Mon,

Hahaha Blogging while exercising on a treadmill! That would be paradise.

We have less than two months of winter remaining. Warmer weather is around the corner and thus I look forward to getting back to my weekend routine.

Svelte Rogue said...

like you, walking on a treadmill bores me to tears. it's the one piece of equipment i avoid as much as i can when i'm in the gym. and like you, controlling food intake and exercising seem the best partners in keeping one fit and looking good.

i was told once that if you're able to work out during winter, you're actually doing your body a world of good because if you can sweat in the low temps, your body is burning fat efficiently.

so... even if it's cold, brave it, my man, and walk through it! i've tried it a couple of times and it's an invigorating experience that leaves you feeling immensely proud of yourself :)

Panaderos said...

Hi Svelte,

Thanks for that great information you just shared about the significance of sweating even in low temps. I managed to do that last Saturday when the temperature outside was 6 degrees Celsius. I'll do as you say this coming weekend. I'll brave the cold temps once again!

bing said...

i miss walking. three months ago, family and I go on Sundays to UP for a two hour walk. it had shed a lot of the unwanted. the bad thing is we had to stop. everybody is busy. and walking alone is lonely. now, i think im gaining weight!

Panaderos said...

Hi Bing,

Walking is a fun way to shed those unwanted pounds. Walking could be quite a lonely experience I agree. But you bring an IPod with you as a workaround.

Thank you for the visit. :)