Monday, February 18, 2008

Worth A Visit

A San Francisco street scene

A view of Manhattan island from Brooklyn

Another San Francisco street scene



Midtown Manhattan

These city and street scenes are some of the diplays at Legoland in Carlsbad, California, a few miles north of San Diego. All of these structures were constructed out of Lego bricks. The site also features a replica of Washington, D.C., New Orleans in Lousiana, and other prominent sites around the US. It also features a full-size Jeep Cherokee made entirely of Lego bricks! So whenever you find yourselves in the lovely city of San Diego, CA, take some time to stop by this theme park even for just a few hours.

The place also features some rides and shows that adults and kids would both enjoy. I took these photos a couple of years ago while I was in the area on a business trip. Finding some time on my hands one afternoon, I decided to take a quick tour of this park. Boy, it was sure worth it.

So just to give you a perspective on how big (or small) these displays are, check this photo out:


Original Photos by: Panaderos

25 responses:

Anonymous said...

I'm really impressed with works like this. I can only imagine the amount of detail the makers had to go through. I'd prolly go nuts myself.

Anonymous said...

too good to be true. i thought i saw manay's office in there.

Panaderos said...

Fence,

The attention to detail is truly remarkable. Makes you wonder how long it took them to construct these sets.

Panaderos said...

Mari,

He's one of the figures swaying, I mean, walking on the street. :)

Anonymous said...

Very impressive ! I'm speculating this mininiature structure had been used at some point in shooting films( camera trick) :)

ipanema said...

amazing. i wonder if these were glued to the ground preventing it from falling. :)

Panaderos said...

bw,

That's a big possibility. Hollywood loves "destroying" New York anyway. :)

Panaderos said...

Ipanema,

I think you're probably right that they must have been glued to the ground. It was a windy day when I went and those things were able to withstand the rather strong winds.

Miki said...

i remember when i had my first set of Lego at age 32 -- couldn't stop assembling and re-assembling miniature houses. it was such fun! (we couldn't afford Lego when i was a kid...)

men will always be boys.. hehehehe

Unknown said...

Hmm, I wonder, if they decide to do a replica of Manila, how in heaven's name would they be able to replicate those shanties along Pasig river with lego bricks? It'll be interesting to see though...

Victoria Kapauan-Gaerlan said...

My younger son's first Lego set was a hand-me-down from his older brother. He inherited it when he was three years old and he still has the original set today, in a basket in his room. I will pass this post on to him. Fascinating!

Panaderos said...

Miki,

You're right in that a part of us will always be a kid. I must admit that it was the kid in me that made me drive to this place even though it was quite a distance from the place I worked at the time.

Lego simply fires one's imagination. It's amazing the number of things we can build out of the seemingly lowly Lego brick.

Panaderos said...

Rudy,

Lego's engineers and designers would have to fabricate bricks of varying shapes, colors, and sizes just to replicate Manila's shanties.

On a serious note, it would be great though to see some of Manila's landmarks such as City Hall, the Old Congress building, the Post Office, the Metropolitan Theater, and the Central Bank building, to name a few, replicated through those bricks. That would certainly be a great treat to Filipino kids.

Panaderos said...

Hi Bambit,

Lego is such a great and very educational toy. It helps kids become more imaginative and creative.

By all means, please share this post with him. I'm very glad to share the info. :)

docemdy said...

I've never been to the West Coast. When I do, I'll make sure I'll visit this. I used to love playing Lego with my sister who was its no 1 fan in the house.

D@phne L@ur@ said...

At first I thought you were playing a tourist guide and encouraging us to visit these places. hehe They are made of Lego sets pala.

Really impressive. They must have taken a long time to assemble all of those miniature replicas. :)

zherwin said...

oh, now i am wondering where my lego sets are? had i continue building weird stuffs from them, i can make money pala!

Panaderos said...

Em,

Your sister will definitely love this place. There were other scenes and cityscapes that were on display. Unfortunately, my camera's battery did not have much power left. I could have taken more pictures. :(

Panaderos said...

Hi Daphne,

I wondered about how long did it take the designers and assembles from conceptualization to final assembly. Too bad, I wasn't able to ask any of the park personnel present for that bit of information.

Panaderos said...

Zherwin,

Won't it be cool to be a Lego fanatic and also work for the company as a toy designer/engineer? That would make for such a great job. :)

Panaderos said...

Rolly,

Amen to that! :)

Anonymous said...

from the first photos I thought it was the real thing! my brother and I were good at making lego toys but the artists who made these are geniuses!

Panaderos said...

Mon.

They certainly were geniuses. The attention to painstaking detail was truly remarkable.

lethalverses said...

wow, I've always been fascinated with miniature versions of real things - dioramas, tama ba?

and the photos are great: capturing the spot where surrealism hits the most.

such talent.

Panaderos said...

Lethalverses,

Thanks. :)