I want to write about the latest scandal rocking my country. This Lozada matter is a corruption scandal that could potentially topple the hugely unpopular and politically inept Arroyo administration. I want to read the dailies to analyze the statements from the opposing parties. Like millions of my countrymen, I have a very strong desire to learn the truth.
But for some reason, I could not muster the energy to do so.
I don't want to say that I've become apathetic for my country remains very dear to me. I remain very interested in any news that discuss the latest Philippine developments or lack thereof. I remain very proud whenever I hear of my countrymen's accomplishments in both the local and international scenes.
However, call me a pessimist if you'd like but I believe, as with the other scandals that went before it, that the whole truth will still manage to elude us here. I can no longer be excited by charades held under the guise of Senate hearings.
I sincerely apologize for the attitude but I'm tired of a government that asks so much of its citizens but gives too little. I'm resentful of a political leadership that protects the interests of a wealthy few at the expense of the long-term interests of the struggling many. I'm so sick of seeing a Congress that is supported by billions in taxpayer money but with too little to show in terms of meaningful legislation.
Thus, this whole Lozada affair should be viewed as nothing more than entertainment. It is a show that's being staged for us at our expense. Like the others that came before it, we will end up not getting our money's worth for it is another poorly scripted play. We, the viewers, will again walk away from it with no real lesson learned. Given that we already know what's in store for us, the best thing to do is to simply ignore the whole damn thing.
Saturday, February 16, 2008
Worn Out
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Diseño por headsetoptions | A Blogger por Blog and Web



18 responses:
it would enrage you if you were here. the LIVE Senate hearing was everywhere I go. it could go on till night time [last one]. as usual, since it's not a proper court, who will pronounce guilty in here?
as for lessons learned, there is. that there is still someone brave enough who'd spill the beans -even fearful for his life, notwithstanding his personal role dig up- and face all these wretched co-accused.
as usual, Philippine politics is a zarsuela. :)
Hi Ipanema,
I just hope that for his sake and that of his family, that he will manage to survive this ordeal. Sadly, our history is replete with bad endings for people who tried to do the right thing. Should anything untoward happen to that man, GMA and her administration will have a lot of explaining to do.
After a visit to the beach, it's hard to believe that we live in a material world.
-Pam Shaw-
Sidney,
So true. Greed at its worst. It's obscene.
Hay nako, ano pa nga ba? In a few weeks time there will be more scandal that'll keep our 'esteemed" lawmakers busy till 2010. Meanwhile, important bills that have been waiting since time immemorial have been relegated to the backburner
i didn't read nor listen to the news about this whole mess. I'll just wait for the 2010 elections.
I'm hoping for more whistleblowers to come out of the woodwork.
Rudy,
Misplaced priorities really. I wonder what the Catholic Church's stand is on this issue since GMA has been a faithful lapdog of theirs? I'm interested to find out if they (the Church) will resort to moral relativism here.
Lazarus,
A 6 year term for a President as laid out in the 1987 Constitution is way too long. It's one of the not-so-well thought out provisions of that document. 2010 is the only legal recourse for us to elect a much better leader with a much better spouse.
Eric,
I hope so too but it would take a lot of courage to do so. There are many elements in government who won't have any qualms against taking another person's life just to silence any criticism or opposition.
expect this senate hearing to go on and on. the opposition will try to milk it for all it's worth, and afterwards, nothing. not even a single law will come out of it, jus pogi points for the next election.
Mon,
These politicians bash each other in front of the tv cameras. Once the cameras stop rolling, they shake hands and attend the same parties, go to the same social clubs, and stand as principal sponsors on each other's kids' weddings. Lozada's the odd man out here.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for GMA to step down because of this one. Unfortunately, shame is a word that doesn't have much clout in Philippine politics.
Fence,
Very sad but so true. No wonder then that decent and morally upright people in our country shun politics.
As i was saying, if the system can't nail down a dirty rotten scoundrel like Erap, any thing less than him would be a big joke :(
It is a comedy because many already know that no one will be hanged or at the very least ,found guilty of this alleged corruption. :(
bw,
Yeah, we can't really help but be skeptical about the whole thing. People Power II had to take place because of the failure of our democratic institutions. The people do not have to go out into the streets to rid themselves of a corrupt leadership.
we are all jaded and raised by injustice.
Beatburn,
So true and that explains why expectations that justice would eventually be served are so low.
Thanks for the visit. :)
Post a Comment