Saturday, February 16, 2008

Hitback!

Was a Freshman in high school when both this band and the song became popular:


Can anybody guess both the name of the group and the song?

In addition: (Bonus questions hehehe)
Can anybody still recall where the title of this blog entry came from?
In addition, whose voice was it? (Clue: She was a popular TV news personality in the early 90s.)

27 responses:

docemdy said...

My Sharona. That's all I know.

Panaderos said...

Hi Em,

You got the song right! :)

Sidney said...

I can't answer your questions but I can guess your age now.
Thirty?

Panaderos said...

Sidney,

You're pretty close. Hahaha

Miki said...

My Sharona
The Knack

I can show you the moves on the dancefloor, too

wahahahaha!!!

Unknown said...

Do you seriously want me to answer the questions, pards? :-D

Anyways, the real-life Sharona that inspired this one-hit wonder is now a real estate agent in California. She was interviewed a few years ago after the song made a comeback via the movie "Reality Bites".

As for blog entry's title, if I recall it was usually uttered by the disc jockey (complete with echoes pa) before playing a revival. Am I right?

Unfortunately I can't recall the name behind that voice but I knew she became a news anchor in one of the stations (channel 9 yata). :-D

As fr your age, di na tayo magkalayo, hahaha. :-D

Unknown said...

Oh and the full name of Sharona was I think, Sharona Alperin... ;-)

Panaderos said...

Miki,

Hanep! I didn't know that there were dance moves to My Sharona! How could I have missed that? Hahaha

Favor, Pards. Do a demo for us and post it on Youtube. Hahaha

Panaderos said...

Rudy,

Matindi! Except for the name behind the voice that hollered "Hitback!" (with resounding echoes), you got everything right; right down to Sharona's full name and profession. Impressive! Congrats! :)

I think, correct me if I'm wrong, but the radio station was DWIZ on AM. I first heard "Hitback" around 1977/78, I think.

The voice behind it? Mel Tiangco. She said so on a tv interview back in the early 90s. :)

Ramon Jose said...

I looked up "my sharona" on wikipedia and found out that weird al yankovic parodied this song with "my bologna"! LOL.

Panaderos said...

Mon,

Yes, he did and even used an accordion to boot! :)

Unknown said...

Am not sure about the station but yeah, that was around the same year. I was a high school junior then. As for Tiangco, I knew she used to be a dj but it never occurred to me that she was the voice behind hitback... thanks for the tip, man. :-)

Anonymous said...

i can't relate. :)
*goes back to my shell*

Panaderos said...

Rudy,

No problem, Pards. Glad to share that info with you. :)

Panaderos said...

Mari,

In denial pa. Tsk tsk.

ipanema said...

i was in university when this hit town. :)

Panaderos said...

Hi Ipanema,

This song was everywhere at the time. It was played a lot on the radio, on buses, taxis, and jeepneys, too. :) Kids were crazy about this song.

Liquid said...

Much~

Panaderos said...

Liquid,

Yup. :)

Anonymous said...

My Sharona - the Knack and I believe this was a hit sometime in 79 or 80 :) Nice song though. I know an Ilocano friend of mine makes fun of the song as Ma Sonronak and I don't kno what it means hehe :)

Panaderos said...

bw,

Never heard of Ma Sonronak and even if I did, I wouldn't know its meaning too. :)

rolly said...

Who could ever miss the title, huh?But on second thought, yung kanta ni Angela Bofill dati, akala ng marami "have faith in me" ang title nung sikat nyang kanta. hindi pala.

Si Doug Feiger ata yung singer.

Panaderos said...

Rolly,

Yup,Doug Feiger was indeed the lead singer of the Knack. The band didn't last long though. They faded from the music scene once the fame of My Sharona wore off.

rdl said...

My Sharona/ The Knack

Panaderos said...

rdl,

You got it, friend! :) I still enjoy listening to that song whenever I hear it played on the radio or on tv.

 gmirage said...

This is one song that you just sing with even if you do not really know the lyrics haha...Then you go about the end of the day with it in your head-LSS (Last Song Syndrome).

Panaderos said...

g_mirage,

Hahaha So true. You know what? It's been days since I posted that and I still hear and play the song in my head. Hahaha

Thank you very much for the visit. :)