Flew into San Francisco earlier this evening. Though the purpose of the trip was business, I was also hoping to catch a much-needed break from the frigid temperatures back East. But as soon as I got here, what did I see? Overcast skies, rain, and it was COLD. Checked the weather forecast for the rest of the week and I found that the cold weather is going to linger in the area for a while. So much for my California trip. Sigh.
Oh well. As they say, we always think that the grass is always greener on the other coast, este, on the other side pala. :-)
Being the eternal optimist, the clouds had a silver lining. It's California. Maraming Pinoy. And a lot of Pinoys mean a lot of Pinoy restaurants. Hehehe Thus, I made up for the lousy weather and feeling by having dinner at Gerry's Grill over at Union City, a few miles from the hotel I'm staying at. Went for my fave lechon kawali and had garlic rice along with it. Needless to say, it was such a "heartfelt" dinner. For drinks, I had black gulaman.
Comfort food. :-) I feel much better now.
Monday, January 7, 2008
A break from the cold? Not so fast.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Diseño por headsetoptions | A Blogger por Blog and Web



12 responses:
I remember driving thru Jersey from New York with my cousins. My cousin who was at the wheel wanted to stop right away at the first available restaurant. The smell of Filipino food was getting to him and he wanted it right away. He was then almost into his 8th mo training with Marriott at DC while I was into my 4th month in the US. My US based cousin insisted we find her mom's recommendation for the best Pinoy food in Jersey. When we did, we ordered everything. Masarap. Iba talaga pag comfort food.
iba pa din ang original gerry's grill sa pinas! :)
i want to visit SFO just so I can eat at Gerry's, i guess it's the next best (and closest thing) to the ones we're used to in Manila.
I hope the sunshine breaks through for you, at least once!
Enjoy yourself none the less!
:)
Hi Em Dy,
One really misses Pinoy food after a while. One gets desperate too that after a while one doesn't really care much about where he/she could find it. The lure of comfort food could be quite irresistible. :-)
Mari,
Yup, the "original is always the best" wika nga ni Ate Luds. Naks!
Hi Abbyg,
Masarap ang food and it's in a very good/upscale location. The place is quite sosyal and a few of the waiters were Americans. Quite different from what we've grown accustomed to seeing in Pinoy restaurants here in the US.
Hi Liquid,
The sunshine did break through for me this morning. I don't know how long it's going to last but I'll definitely savor the moment. Thanks for the visit! :-)
sige, enumerate pa. sandali, dalhin mo kaya digi-cam mo next time. gusto ko makakita ng lechon kawali! dapat may soya sauce, chili and kalamnsi! :)
Ipanema,
Hahaha I might just do that next time. :)
I can just imagine how delicious that lechon kawali must have been. When we were abroad, what we usually ordered at pinoy restaurants was kare kare. We even asked for extra bagoong kasi inuulam din namin. he he.
Monaco,
At first, I also kind of craved for kare-kare. However, Gerry's Grill only served beef kare-kare. I prefer the classic version with tripe.
The lechon kawali was "to die for". Hehehe
Post a Comment