Just a few announcements:
To those of you who are still interested in reading the full New York Magazine article on rich kids' problems with depression, self-worth, and loneliness, I've posted the link to the article on this site.
You can either click on the link to the left of this screen called "To Be Rich And Lonely (The Sequel)"; or you can scroll down this page. The post is dated January 14.
I apologize for the delay in posting the article.
Another announcement. Sad news from the Chess world today. Bobby Fischer, American chess genius, died Thursday, January 17, in Reykjavik, Iceland. Cause of death was kidney failure. To honor the man, the New York Times published this tribute on their January 19th (Saturday) issue.
I first heard of this man from my father who was, and still is, quite a chess fanatic. First heard of him back in 1972 when Mr. Fischer faced off with Russian grandmaster Boris Spassky in a world championship match that was also held in Reykjavik, Iceland. The match caught the world's attention because it was also symbolic of the cold war between the US and the Soviet Union at the time. To a lot of kids of my generation, Mr. Fischer was the one who single-handedly made the game of chess popular and "cool".
May he finally rest in peace.
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Quick Announcements
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Diseño por headsetoptions | A Blogger por Blog and Web



10 responses:
I played chess as a kid too and made it to my grade school's team. I don't think I won any games though. And I learned about chess most likely after 1972. Now I know who's older between the two of us. He he.
Hi Em,
Yes, my father and I had a conversation about chess and Bobby Fischer while I was still an infant. Hahaha I guess I just carbon-dated myself there, right? Hehe
knowing that I am a star wars fan, a friend texted me that princress lleia's dad, the chess champion, just died! I couldn't stop laughing!
I still giggle whenever I recall her message!
Hahaha That's a good one, Mon! Hahaha
Bobby Fischer was a child prodigy, a wunderkind of the chess world. Thing is, like many geniuses out there, he lived a very reclusive life and he hated the limelight. He made himself sparse after that face-off with Spassky.
It's tragic to hear that a genius had died. Fischer was an enigmatic person though. He became a recluse after winning the world championship and lived outside America. He became an staunch anti-Semitist and was openly vocal in his hatred for the Jews in America.
He also became a very good friend of Pinoy grandmaster Eugene Torre who arranged some of his interviews :)
Rudy,
Yes, he did make himself sparse after that match with Spassky. I remember getting excited about the world championship match where he was supposed to defend his crown against the up and coming Anatoly Karpov. That's when I personally noticed that he was starting to get weird. He ended up a no-show and thus, Karpov was crowned world chess champion. It would have been a great match.
BW,
It's a bit ironic that he became a rabid anti-Semite when his mom was Jewish and for all indications, he had a good relationship with her. But I'm being rational in my analysis. Sadly, rationality slowly left him in his later years. Really tragic.
a totally unrelated comment... but your post made me realize I haven't blogged about Sir Edmund Hillary, the first to conquer Everest...
I am rightfully ashamed... :)
That's ok, Mec. It's never too late to blog about him.
Post a Comment