Monday, January 21, 2008

My First Love

This was my first true love affair, my first real obsession; and I have my dear father to thank for introducing me to this one particular love. It was a relationship that lasted years; one that was both pure and complex. It was pure for its innocence, its honesty, and for the constant and reliable companionship it provided. But the relationship was also complex because it was also marred by abuse, heartache, and loss. With this, I'm referring to my childhood love affair with Matchbox® toy cars.

Matchbox came to my life courtesy of my dear father. It was the late sixties and my father was then working in the Santa Cruz district of Manila. Through his job, he became very good friends with a Chinese businessman who ran a bazaar (a term widely used for small department stores at the time) over at the neighboring district of Quiapo. So there were many an evening when before heading home from work that my father would stop by his friend's store to buy a few of those toy cars for me.

It was love at first sight. Those shiny little cars came smartly wrapped in their trademark yellow and blue boxes. Their appeal to kids like me was their smart and accurate reproduction of actual cars. I found it so cool to hold in my little hands miniature versions of the Ford, Mercedes Benz, Pontiac, and Dodge cars and trucks that were popular at the time.

The following were some of the cars I had in my "garage":


Ford Kennel Truck

Lincoln Continental

Rolls Royce Silver Shadow
(All photos were from the Christian Falkensteiner Collection.)

I eventually ended up with a few dozen of these toy cars. With them, I let my imagination run free. I recreated the traffic jams and car accidents I saw on Manila’s streets right on our living room floor. To recreate off-road driving conditions, I played with them in the garden when it was sunny and on an unmade bed or on the sofa when it was raining. Creases on bed sheets were imagined to be either potholes or caution humps/speed bumps on the road. Recreating the flooded streets of Manila was not a problem for I quickly found sections on our driveway where water tended to accumulate after a rain or car washing. Rainy driving conditions were recreated using my mother’s watering can. I raced those cars too and even named a supposedly annual grand prix after my hometown.

I had a lot of happy and fun moments with those cars. With their help, I was able to assume a variety of roles such as a policeman, a fireman, a garbage collector, a bus driver, and possibly the worst mechanic in the world. In turn, and in their collective silence, they always knew when I was happy and when I was down. They were silent witnesses to the many tears I shed but hid from family and friends. There were even moments when they knew and felt my anger and frustrations. At any given moment, they knew how I truly saw the people and things around me. From them, I kept no secrets.

My father’s retired now. His Chinese friend has long since passed away; the bazaar he ran is now but a memory. But those toy cars that kept me company through all those otherwise lonely moments are still around, safely tucked away in a shoebox in our old family home in Manila. Like my father, they are retired too. Their playing days are over. They bear the scars, bruises, and damage from all the times we shared. Even though they're no longer as pretty and smart-looking as they did on the day I first set eyes on them, they remain very dear and special to me.

For now, they will remain in a shoebox until that day when I fly back to Manila to finally take them home with me.

20 responses:

Anonymous said...

these are collector's items!

Panaderos said...

Yes, they are but I'm holding on to them. :)

docemdy said...

And I thought I would finally hear about the one...

I collected paper dolls when I was little, gave some away but I think I kept my favorite ones somewhere.

Panaderos said...

Em,

Hahaha That was a funny opening line.

Were those Japanese paper dolls that you collected?

Unknown said...

Oh yes, those little matchbox cars. I have fond memories of them as I used to have a lot of those in my collections, too. I remember when all of them were made in the UK and boy were they durable little buggers, a lot tougher than the real McCoys you see out on the street. But I guess I outgrew them in time, and I switched from matchboxes to scale modeling airplanes and ships during my early teen years.

-snglguy-

docemdy said...

No, just regular paper dolls. I had Barbie the Superstar, Donny and Marie, etc.

Sidney said...

I understand you don't want to sell them even if they are collector's items now. You always keep your first love in your heart.
One day when you will have kids those Matchbox cars might get a second life...

Panaderos said...

Hi Sidney,

So true. The ones I had were the original, British-made cars. Lesney, the original manufacturer, closed its doors in the early 80s. Mattel now owns the brand and the cars are now made in China. It's a personal bias but I think the cars back in my time were nicer and looked like real cars. The toy cars these days are just way too colorful for my taste. Thanks for the comment.

Panaderos said...

Rudy,

I totally agree. The UK-made cars by Lesney were of very high quality. Unfortunately, Lesney closed shop in the early 80s. What you described is the natural progression from matchbox toy cars to assembly of scale models. I have a lot of childhood buddies who got into that hobby after their Matchbox phase. You ought to see this buddy of mine who has an extensive collection of scale models stored in his basement (fighter planes and battleships). It's like walking into a toy section of a big department store. Grabe. Talk about obsession. Hahaha

Abaniko said...

Beautiful stuff! I wonder how much those cost by now. I never owned one though. My cousin had plenty of them. I just played with marbles, rubber bands and flattened tansan when I was a kid. Hehe.

Panaderos said...

Thanks, Abaniko. A lot of those cars now cost somewhere between $50 to $60 each. However, the requirement is that they (both car and the box) be in mint condition. Kaya if you know of someone who has kept his toy cars in very good condition, he ought to consider selling them on E-Bay. I'm sure na he'll do well, moneywise.

Anonymous said...

The model are 60's vintage ! The Rolls hasn't changed much though - amazing that for more than 20 years the style remains the same :) You do have collectors items in you shoebox bro :)

Ramon Jose said...

we had Matchbox cars and trucks too when we were kids. my brother and I would save our allowance to buy additional cars aside from the ones we would ask my dad to buy for us. we had a mustang, corvette (w/ detachable plastic roof), gullwing benz, datsun, benz slr, porche, etc. I cannot recall the rest.

Panaderos said...

BW,

Thanks. Unlike the Matchbox cars of today, the toy cars back then had doors, hoods, and trunks that open. Not so today. For safety reasons, Mattel has decided to limit/eliminate those features on a lot of the models.

Panaderos said...

Monaco,

Pards, the Mustang has become one of the rarer models and as a result, commands a high price among collectors. On some collectors' websites, I've seen the price for a Mustang go for at least $100 or sometimes to as high as $150. The Porsche models are also very well made. I have one in my collection from 1978. The most expensive one I saw was a Pontiac from 1970 which was selling for about $400. Grabe.

Señor Enrique said...

I, too, collected Matchbox cars until I was in second year of high school. My favorite was the Range Rover used in safaris.

I was also very much into those model cars that you assemble. I gave them all away when I started third year of high school kasi nagbibinata na :)

Liquid said...

Wow. What a beautiful memory you have shared. It's a big thing here in Mississippi to play with your cars out in the dirt. Making your own little towns with mud bridges between. Now, I peer out of my kitchen window and watch with glee, as my little ones do just the same.

Thank you for this post.

:)

Panaderos said...

Hi Eric,

I had a Range Rover too but it was confiscated by a teacher in school back when I was in 3rd grade. It was recess and I was playing with it. She swiped it from my hand and said that she was confiscating it because I was being "noisy". It was recess, for crying out loud! I never got it back. I haven't forgiven her for I think she found a convenient excuse to steal it from a kid.

I never quite got into assembling model kits. Not for lack of interest but more for lack of money. Hahaha From matchbox, I moved to basketball, tabletennis, and biking.

Panaderos said...

Hi Liquid,

Yes, those were the days. Whenever I see kids play with their little toy cars, I always catch myself watching them for a few moments. It never fails.

Take care. :)

rdl said...

i remember buying them for my son; unfortunately I didn't save any. we still have the star wars action figures tho.