Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Weather report....

It's quite cold today where I'm at. Weatherman said that the temperature will only reach a high of 30 degrees Fahrenheit (or -1 degree Celsius). This means then that for the duration of the day, our air temperature will never get past the freezing mark of 32 degrees F. 30 degrees, by itself, is still not that bad. One can still have quite a pleasant walk outside as long as one is appropriately dressed to deal with the cold.

However, here's where it becomes quite tricky: it's also quite windy outside at the moment. Thus, if one decides to go outdoors at this very minute, he/she may actually feel colder than the actual air temperature. Weather forecasters here in the US have a term for that condition, the "wind chill" factor. Wikipedia defines "wind chill" as the apparent temperature felt on exposed skin due to the combination of air temperature and wind speed.

If we factor in the wind chill, then the apparent temperature would then drop from 30 degrees F to 17 degrees F (or -8 degrees Celsius), quite a significant change. At such temperatures, people are normally advised to stay indoors as much as possible. They are also told to only venture outside of their home/office whenever it's necessary.

With such temperatures, one has to have at least three or four layers of clothing to be able to withstand the cold. Add to those a scarf, ear muffs, and a hat or cap to cover one's head with; and boots or some rather heavy pair of shoes designed to keep your feet warm in winter. Not fun at all.

I often dream of places like Boracay, Bohol, and Puerto Galera during this time of the year. I'd rather be in any of those places than here. I imagine myself reading a good book on the beach or going out for a swim. Oh geez, winter's not even a month old and here I am, already yearning for warmer weather. Oh well...

10 responses:

Anonymous said...

Since when did you become a meteorologist? Uwi ka na dito!

Panaderos said...

Malapit na akong umuwi. :-) Accomodations na lang ang kulang. :-P

ipanema said...

it's funny how we in the tropics love snow and vice-versa. ang arthritis ko...lol

docemdy said...

We dream of a white Christmas yet when we're there we dream of home bacause that's where the heart is.

Happy new year.

Panaderos said...

Ipanema,

Unmelted snow and snowfalls are really a beautiful sight, especially when one sees snow fall on trees, on hills, and on rooftops. Quite pretty. The moment it stops snowing, that's when the temperature really starts to drop and that's when frigid air comes in to linger for days.

This is also the time of year when it's kind of difficult for me to talk about global warming. :-) Joke.

Panaderos said...

Em Dy,

Yes, home is truly where the heart is. There are beaches within an hour from where I live. However, I rarely go because those beaches simply do not excite me. For me, a beach scenery would not be complete without the presence of our beloved coconut trees. I truly miss that. Sigh.

Ramon Jose said...

I used to dream of playing in the snow and living in a country with a winter season until I got experience it myself. you're right, it wasn't fun at all.

happy new year!

Panaderos said...

Hi Monaco,

I found out the hard way. I've been in a couple of car accidents and both took place in winter due to very icy road conditions. It's such a hassle too to get up in the morning and find one's car all wrapped in ice, especially if one's in a hurry to get to work.

Thank you very much for the visit! Happy New Year to you too!

Liquid said...

Ouch.......

Panaderos said...

Liquid,

Yup, it was indeed a big ouch! :-)