How do we know that we are loved by friends or relatives? As human beings, we know and feel that we are loved when people come to help us out in our time of need. We appreciate and never forget such moments. Most especially if friends or relatives came out from nowhere to extend moral support or volunteered their time and resources just to help us out. It could really be quite touching, to say the least.
These thoughts then bring me to the opposite of the above situation. Let's put ourselves in the shoes of a wealthy person.
Like every other person in this world, he/she also has needs. But here's the catch and the difference. If such a person doesn't have or never has a time of need because he/she buys what he/she needs, how is that person going to know who truly loves him/her?
Tough situation to be in when one really thinks about it, right? This post was inspired by an article on the New York Magazine that I came across yesterday while waiting for my turn at the barbershop. It spoke of rich kids' battles with depression and loneliness.
I'll leave it here for now because there's so much ground to cover. I promise to get back to this topic in a few days.
Sunday, January 13, 2008
To Be Rich And Lonely
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Diseño por headsetoptions | A Blogger por Blog and Web



12 responses:
honestly, I've never thought of it that way. though I read a lot of stories about "poor little rich girls/boys", I always say that it won't happen to me because when I get filthy rich, I buy everything that I want and be happy the rest of my life! fairy tale mentality huh?
Well, I've never been rich, so if I will be given a million bucks just to find out I'd grab it. And I bet most people will do the same, too. But that's just me... :-)
Hi there! Saw your comment on my blog this morning. Thanks for the kind words and the link. Will do the same as well.
PS: Been going through some of your stuff here, I say you're one heck of a writer, man.
-snglguy-
Too much of anything is not good. Although of course, I've been thinking, it's easier to have problems spending so much than not having something to spend. At least you eat well.:-)
Rich people tend to have rich friends.
If you are rich you might attract a bit more false friends.
Monaco, Rudy, Rolly, and Sidney,
I apologize but I had left out one critical piece of information on that piece. The question was in the context of a person who was born into wealth. That was the focus of the New York Magazine article.
Having said that, I do agree with all your comments that for those of us who have not tasted wealth, being handed or inheriting millions at this moment won't necessarily bring us depression or loneliness. This is due to the fact that we already know how it is to be poor or not to be as wealthy as the people discussed in the article. We're emotionally grounded, so to speak. This could be an issue though to our offspring or their children in the absence of good parenting.
I found the web link to the article and I will post it on my blog as a Part 2 to this entry. Sorry again for the confusion.
Rudy,
Thank you very much for the compliment. I enjoy reading stuff from your blog too. Thanks again. :)
Sidney,
I agree. Wealth does become a magnet to some people of questionable motives and character.
Thank you very much for the visit. Love your photo blog.
Rolly,
Glad to see you here. I hope all's well with you and the family. Thanks. :)
Goes to show that wealth and stature doesn't really equate to happiness.
I know that some big banks provide psychologists to educate to their super wealthy clients on how to train their children on how to make use of money productively and fruitfully. These kids potentially have no reason to ever work for the rest of their lives and they need to appreciate life more than the comfort that money can offer !
Hi bw,
Yup, yours was exactly the point of the article. I will post a link to the article tomorrow as soon as I come to work. Those kids suffered from self-doubt and seemed at a loss as to what their role was going to be in a world where everything has been laid on their doorstep.
Thank you very much for your visit. :)
Interesting. can't wait for the next installment.
Hi rdl,
I'll post it soon. I got sidetracked with other write-ups I had in the pipeline. But, it's coming. :)
Post a Comment